Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

If you hit even a dust particle at the speed of light, you will do damage. Unless they have navigation shields, or if hyperspace actually takes you outside of space and you travel in some other kind of reality until you get to your destination. Of course if that's the case, then what we saw in TLJ should never have worked, and would explain why it's never been done before.

Hyperspace in the Star Wars universe is another dimension. There is an explanation and a description if its origina on wookiepedia.

Hyperspace in the Star Wars universe is another dimension. There is an explanation and a description if its origina on wookiepedia.

Maybe some distance is needed before entering a Hyperspace 'window' as such, which is why their trick worked.

I'm wrong, I know I'm wrong. I don't care anymore :D

I always thought that even though in hyper space the ships were moving through normal space (hence the star field flying past them), perhaps in some sort of warp bubble. Hence why would anyone worry about navigation?

In IV Han says:

Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

I always thought the same as Jokester.

This is Game, Set and Match imo;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-crack-ISS-window-debris-collides-craft.html

X-Wing at hyperspeed into a Star Destroyer?? Man their isn't gonna be anything left surely!!

The ISS is a tiny piece of steel, kevlar and aluminium 10cm thick weighing less than 420 tonnes and 73x110x20metres dimensions.

kevlar_shell_sm.jpg

A fricking Imperial Star Destroyer (bigger than the Venator class used in Clone Wars) which is the smallest Imperial one, is 1,600 metres long. The First Order Star Destroyer is longer than 2900 metres. With gazillion of bulkheads to stop breaking apart and thickness to survive a big cruiser gun hit.

An X-wing is just 12.5m long. It would disintegrate leaving a small scratch on a Imperial Destroyer, let alone a First Order Destroyer.

Is like shooting a .50 bullet from M2 machine gun or a Barret sniping rifle to a carrier.

An X-wing is just 12.5m long. It would disintegrate leaving a small scratch on a Imperial Destroyer, let alone a First Order Destroyer.

Which would be true normally *however* TLJ had already shown what a smaller object travelling at lightspeed does to larger items and a X-Wing and Star Destroyer are just scaled down items from what we've already seen work in the film.

The ISS is a tiny piece of steel, kevlar and aluminium 10cm thick weighing less than 420 tonnes and 73x110x20metres dimensions.
The point is a tiny, no bigger than a few thousandths of a millimetre across fleck of paint at orbiting speed can hit that 420 tonnes, 100 long craft like a bullet and leave 7mm hole in the hardest window NASA could send up there. Scale it up and voila.

It’s moot because it’s sci-fi but the kinetic energy of 1 kilo at light speed would be about 21 million megatons (as in nuclear explosion megatons). Google thinks all the nukes on earth today adds up to 5000 megatons. Yes an X wing at light speed would make a dent. At least if you apply some actual science to not very science fiction.

Unlike Rogue One, this main episode of the franchise didn't elicit a strong reaction in me either way. If I were to be harsh, I'd summarise it as an outing of characters I don't care much about doing broadly cyclical things, again; relationships forming here and there to set up the final sequel; and actors getting on with making money for the studio. Almost like playing Old Republic, the MMORPG. With a fan hat on, I'd say the entertainment factor was still there - decent escapism, great to see in a big cinema and VFX work is delightful in places; the refresh is proceeding apace.

No real issue with the feminist bend on things, but they do ham it up as if overcompensating for Disney's past decades of the inverse. Likewise, whilst realising my childhood is now driftwood for clearing, I did not feel the fan favourites were given a particularly rough or unfair ride either. However, by pushing the envelope on the Force and associated powers, they now have so many universe-breaking plot mechanics, the argument over FTL juggling becomes moot. Sit down, calm down and count in how many ingenious and banal ways a powerful Force user can bypass the entire hero's journey/plot, given what you know to date from the films alone. That's what irked me the most.

It was lucky the rebels had a heavily armoured base right where they needed it. And luckier still nobody noticed they only fortified one side and the back door was a loose pile of rocks.

And just how did the “code breaker” know they were escaping on shuttles? Nobody that was with him knew that did they?

It was lucky the rebels had a heavily armoured base right where they needed it. And luckier still nobody noticed they only fortified one side and the back door was a loose pile of rocks.

And just how did the “code breaker” know they were escaping on shuttles? Nobody that was with him knew that did they?

Because this is what happens when you give the task to a director who:

takes the well known lightsabre (star wars lore), and chucks it over his shoulder without a care.

Just forcing in convenient get outs at every single turn. Messing with the physics of Star Wars??? Laser bolts that curve as if affected by gravity. Hyperspace tracking...

Apart from Skywalker's death, nothing really happened in this movie.

Next movie will be Leia's and maybe Chewbacca's death, along with R2/C3 for that big twist in the gut!

I chuck this movie in the pits along with the prequels, some good visuals and shoehorned music for rehashed scenes, but as a Star Wars film doesn't come close to any of the originals. It also felt like someone was rewriting on top of every scene too causing pacing issues.

Because this is what happens when you give the task to a director who:

takes the well known lightsabre (star wars lore), and chucks it over his shoulder without a care.

Just forcing in convenient get outs at every single turn. Messing with the physics of Star Wars??? Laser bolts that curve as if affected by gravity. Hyperspace tracking...

Apart from Skywalker's death, nothing really happened in this movie.

Next movie will be Leia's and maybe Chewbacca's death, along with R2/C3 for that big twist in the gut!

I chuck this movie in the pits along with the prequels, some good visuals and shoehorned music for rehashed scenes, but as a Star Wars film doesn't come close to any of the originals. It also felt like someone was rewriting on top of every scene too causing pacing issues.

'TFA was too similar to previous Star Wars films! We want something new!' They get something new, and completely different to previous Star Wars films. 'It's too different! It's not a Star Wars film! It's horrible, I just want something like the old films!'

'TFA was too similar to previous Star Wars films! We want something new!' They get something new, and completely different to previous Star Wars films. 'It's too different! It's not a Star Wars film! It's horrible, I just want something like the old films!'

We didn't get something new, though, we got TESB back to front as a major plot, but full of weird stuff. The dudester behind the script left all the long arcs and plot lines kind of aimless - there is literally nothing to look forward to in the next episode - all questions, tasks and cliffhangers set up in TFA was pretty much thrown across the shoulder, destroyed or unsatisfactorily answered, forgot to pose any new questions or cliffhangers and the only thing still left on the table has the most predictable, "given" outcome. He made the most "after me comes the flood" middle sequel in history of cinema.

We didn't get something new, though, we got TESB back to front as a major plot, but full of weird stuff. The dudester behind the script left all the long arcs and plot lines kind of aimless - there is literally nothing to look forward to in the next episode - all questions, tasks and cliffhangers set up in TFA was pretty much thrown across the shoulder, destroyed or unsatisfactorily answered, forgot to pose any new questions or cliffhangers and the only thing still left on the table has the most predictable, "given" outcome. He made the most "after me comes the flood" middle sequel in history of cinema.

Exactly, you could probably line up a certain music score (it's my favourite though so I don't care where they use it) and see it play at the correct time if you reversed one of the films.

We've got those daft force wielding slave kids to look forward too though :p.

Also:

Have you guys discussed Holdo? Apart from her hair (why?), and her dress (err Vice Admiral, are you going to the ball tonight?), and her secret plan (I had this plan all along...), and her self sacrifice (she can pilot and make a Calamari Battlecrusier jump to lightspeed from the secondary bridge on her own?).

The jumping part, you guys are forgetting, THE SPEC OF PAINT hitting the ISS is not actually hitting it, the ISS is colliding into it, like a plane hitting a brick wall. But still, the jump to lightspeed isn't really the ship accelerating like the Starship Enterprise.

Last edited:
Mods, if I understand the rules correctly spoiler tags were to be kept for the first 14 days since release, that deadline expired at 3am last night. Can someone confirm we are free to rip this title to shreds without whispering under the table?

Mods, if I understand the rules correctly spoiler tags were to be kept for the first 14 days since release, that deadline expired at 3am last night. Can someone confirm we are free to rip this title to shreds without whispering under the table?
Yea I think it's time now. If you're coming to this thread having not yet seen the movie then I thinks it's fair by now to expect people to be discussing major plot points, or the lack of them, within.

Back
Top Bottom