Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

I’m highlighting the idiocy of thinking flying an X-wing into anything massive is going to destroy it by the way.

Is it really idiocy though?

We saw a cruiser which is smaller than a Star Destroyer literally cleave in half Snokes vessel which looked to me to be at least 50x the size of of a Star Destroyer. It then continued on its path and took out god knows how many Star Destroyers on the way.

I'm not saying you could aim an X-Wing at a Star Destroyer and completely destroy it... but if you hit the right spot from the evidence presented to us in episode 8 you could quite possibly cripple it or inflict severe damage. Now imagine something equivalent to the Falcon? The Star Destroyer isn't walking away from that one.

Again running the risk of comparing real life to Star Wars... look at what a fleck of paint did to the window on the ISS, and that was travelling at a fraction of the theoritical speed of hyperspace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-crack-ISS-window-debris-collides-craft.html

I think the whole concept was poorly thought through.

I’m highlighting the idiocy of thinking flying an X-wing into anything massive is going to destroy it by the way.

If it's going at the speed of light, the amount of energy released on impact would be immense. If I throw a bullet at you, it bounces off. If I fire it at mach 2 from a sniper rifle, it's going tear you in half. That's just from kinetic energy, let alone the mass-energy conversion if you could do it at the speed of light. Fusion bombs aren't that big, but they can destroy cities because they turn their mass into energy.

You can look up the asteroids that have hit the earth and caused events like Tunguska or the global winter that killed the dinosaurs. They were not that big compared to the planet they hit, but their speed gave them huge amounts of energy that had to go somewhere on impact.

There are theoretical space and orbital weapons that are just kinetic harpoons that get thrown at high speed, made of dense material like tungsten. The gauss cannons being mounted on US ships are designed to throw a guided slug at speeds of Mach 6. They are not explosive, they destroy targets purely from their speed and the kinetic energy they carry.

Throw anything at the speed of light, and you get a big boom when it hits its target.

Last edited:
It's the equivalent of Khans blood in Star Trek: In to Darkness.

A plot device where they haven't thought through the consequences.

Judging by the movie its not the only thing they never thought through. =/ Funny thing was before the movie came out and everyone seen the porgs there was a big worry there would be too much of a focus on them, turns out they were an "ok" part of the movie, not overused and were pretty funny in their scenes. Quite a lot of the rest of the movie had the issues.

Lets be honest, light sabres break the laws of physics, but we all love those...

Open hanger bay doors and force fields, yup all good....

It's Si-Fi, its fantasy, it's not real life...

A smaller A wing took out a super star destroyer that wasn’t going at light speed. So yes I imagine a few x wings in the new retarded word of light speed weapons would work fine.

A smaller A wing took out a super star destroyer that wasn’t going at light speed. So yes I imagine a few x wings in the new retarded word of light speed weapons would work fine.

Not quite true, the A-Wing crashed into the bridge directly after the shields were taken out which disabled the ship and it drifted into the death-star.

If that happened in space rather than in orbit they could well have recovered the ship. It's a bit like in the opening scenes of EP3 the flagship was disabled and it fell down to the planet. I would say that crash landing was more ludicrous than what happened in this film but no one is raging about that... The ship should have burnt up on re-entry killing all the main characters of the film but that wasn't going to happen was it.

Lets be honest, light sabres break the laws of physics, but we all love those...

Charged ultra-high temperature plasma contained in a magnetic bottle. That explains why they cut through things, cauterize wounds, but bounce off each other. The physics work, it's just the mechanics of building it that have to be figured out.

In the end, lightsabers obey the rules of the fictional universe, and as long as they stay consistent, the audience is happy. As soon as you start frigging about with the accepted rules for the convenience of the script writers (instead of the writers working within the established rules), then everyone throws their hands up in the air.

Charged ultra-high temperature plasma contained in a magnetic bottle. That explains why they cut through things, cauterize wounds, but bounce off each other. The physics work, it's just the mechanics of building it that have to be figured out.

In the end, lightsabers obey the rules of the fictional universe, and as long as they stay consistent, the audience is happy. As soon as you start frigging about with the accepted rules for the convenience of the script writers (instead of the writers working within the established rules), then everyone throws their hands up in the air.

Since when was it plasma? It was always meant to be a laser of sorts that somehow came to a specific length.

Since when was it plasma? It was always meant to be a laser of sorts that somehow came to a specific length.

It's how scientists thought you could make one without breaking the laws of physics that would look like that. A powerful laser isn't going to go a short distance and then just stop.

It's how scientists thought you could make one without breaking the laws of physics that would look like that. A powerful laser isn't going to go a short distance and then just stop.

I seen that video a while back, that grey haired scientist in it, can't recall his name offhand.

Well, actually since we are talking about TLJ
it's the first SW movie where Luke refers to Jedi as quote: "laser sword", previously light sabre was just that - sabre of light - be it plasma, or otherwise not yet known tech. So yet another thing that TLJ butchered in canon. Thank you Ryan Johnson.

Well, actually since we are talking about TLJ
it's the first SW movie where Luke refers to Jedi as quote: "laser sword", previously light sabre was just that - sabre of light - be it plasma, or otherwise not yet known tech. So yet another thing that TLJ butchered in canon. Thank you Ryan Johnson.

Lucas also called it a laser sword during the making of phantom menace. There's also a video on YouTube, the birth of the light sabre where he says the same thing.

Last edited:
Saw it last night and loved it. It was not without its flaws or 'scenes that require further explanation' ('dropping bombs'). However to me it was a coherent and interesting story. The film was about failure and how to deal with it and learn from it which I thought was a good hook and not what i expected.

I like the whole Finn/Rose bit about the business of war and giving us a bit of real world reality to the Star Wars Universe.

Indeed, just goes to show the Death Star would have been destroyed by space dust the first time it entered hyperspace in A New Hope if this was how it works in the Star Wars universe.

If you hit even a dust particle at the speed of light, you will do damage. Unless they have navigation shields, or if hyperspace actually takes you outside of space and you travel in some other kind of reality until you get to your destination. Of course if that's the case, then what we saw in TLJ should never have worked, and would explain why it's never been done before.

Back
Top Bottom