Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I think the core of the problem is that like a lot of directors, Johnson didn't want to do someone else's work. He had JJ/Kasdan TFA before his movie, the Kasdan/Treverrow TLJ script already done, but he wanted to do his own thing, make his own name, and Disney were dumb enough to let him throw out what went before.

It's like he said "oh, don't want to do the Snoke storyline, kill him off, don't want to deal with Rey's manifest destiny story, bin that, don't want to do Luke as a messianic figure, throw that away, don't want to do Finn mortally injured, make him recover with no ill-effects in the first five minutes. Guardians of the Galaxy crossed with the new Ghostbusters? Michael Bay style with a Star Wars theme? Children's toys and merchandising? That's the way to go!"

This is so true, but you would have thought at least make it remotely close to the last rather then gut the entire plot points from the last movie. Its a continuing part. I am very surprised they dont have something like MCU, where they have people that know the material need to sign off before allowing this to go through. Disney has definitely dropped the ball in this one imo. Does that mean in future lets forget lightsabres and guse imaginary force sticks which are invisible and sharp (saving budget and effects). You can see how absurd it can go if no one is reigning in and get some sort of balance and direction in what they want to do. Its not pass the parcel ffs.

Soldato
This is so true, but you would have thought at least make it remotely close to the last rather then gut the entire plot points from the last movie. Its a continuing part. I am very surprised they dont have something like MCU, where they have people that know the material need to sign off before allowing this to go through. Disney has definitely dropped the ball in this one imo. Does that mean in future lets forget lightsabres and guse imaginary force sticks which are invisible and sharp (saving budget and effects). You can see how absurd it can go if no one is reigning in and get some sort of balance and direction in what they want to do. Its not pass the parcel ffs.

Marvel fought hard to keep their independence when Disney bought them, and there are people there that have the overriding vision of where the MCU is going and how it should be. It looks like Lucasfilm got completely subsumed, and Disney is holding the reins without understanding the source material. Hopefully TLJ and the disaster of the Han Solo film will be a wake-up call for Disney, and people will be replaced.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Marvel fought hard to keep their independence when Disney bought them, and there are people there that have the overriding vision of where the MCU is going and how it should be. It looks like Lucasfilm got completely subsumed, and Disney is holding the reins without understanding the source material. Hopefully TLJ and the disaster of the Han Solo film will be a wake-up call for Disney, and people will be replaced.

That's what's amazing. Biggest franchise in the world and they don't bother to have anyone preapprove ideas and vet the story. Hey Here is the keys to the car, knock yourself out. Your absolutely right Marvel fought hard to get their position but looks how well it's worked out for them and Disney can see the success so really surprised if Disney didn't do the same and at very least hire material experts to consult as part of the creative team?

Disney have already recouped the 4 billion they spent on buying Lucas film

It's going alright for them.
it maybe for now but it will devalue the more they churn out in quantity than quality.

Soldato
That's what's amazing. Biggest franchise in the world and they don't bother to have anyone preapprove ideas and vet the story. Hey Here is the keys to the car, knock yourself out. Your absolutely right Marvel fought hard to get their position but looks how well it's worked out for them and Disney can see the success so really surprised if Disney didn't do the same and at very least hire material experts to consult as part of the creative team?

What gets me is how often you hear how movie companies are trying (and failing) to emulate the success of the MCU with other franchises, yet here's Disney who literally own how Marvel does the magic, and they can't get it right with one of the biggest and most long-lived franchises. Ok, Lucas screwed up with the prequels, but Disney has Marvel to tell them how it's done. Why are they getting it wrong?

Suspended
Kevin Feige knows the marvel IP inside out. And they aren't some super dictatorship that Directors must follow an exact story.

Taika Waititi had a huge amount of input in to Thor: Ragnarok for instance, including decisions that weren't necessarily popular with everyone. Though I personally thought it was the funniest MCU movie.

Whedon and Feige had a lot of interference from a certain Marvel executive (Isaac Perlmutter) when making Age of Ultron, but the guy got moved to head up only the TV division soon after that.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
What gets me is how often you hear how movie companies are trying (and failing) to emulate the success of the MCU with other franchises, yet here's Disney who literally own how Marvel does the magic, and they can't get it right with one of the biggest and most long-lived franchises. Ok, Lucas screwed up with the prequels, but Disney has Marvel to tell them how it's done. Why are they getting it wrong?

Your onto something, hire Marvel or get some of their creative team onboard. They will be way more meticulous with their ideas and production rather than half baked imesd they come up with..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Star Wars fans need to accept that nothing is canon now. .

Not true, there is a new canon line.

Star Wars canon is being scrubbed away..

The old canon, yes it's become legends. There is a new canon line which included Rebels and the clone wars series.

They had to get rid of EU, because logistically, picking anything from EU would be intellectual property nightmare, Luke's wife from one author, Chewie's kids from another, Leia's kids from three or four different ones, then you have to deal with ubergeeks spoiling the plot all over the net and/or rising alarms that some part of the plot doesn't adhere to volume 16 of some obscure graphic novel somewhere.

It was explained in the end of one of the later novels, they didn't own that IP or characters. A panel sat together and worked on continuity through the old EU and people would be assigned an out line of stories and characters to work on. Besides if they had kept the old EU for example I fail to see how that would have hurt knowing the story outline. Harry Potter and LOTR did ok.

It's been a while since I read it, but didn't Darth Bane show some powers before any training?

Sadly irrelevant Bane is not Canon in those books. Bane is Canon by name, that excellent story isn't.

Anyway as for the Sith thing, they are all dead. Kylo isn't Sith and neither is Snoke. I say is rather than was because Snoke isn't dead. I don't believe for a minute that was his actual form.

Caporegime
Sadly irrelevant Bane is not Canon in those books. Bane is Canon by name, that excellent story isn't.

Anyway as for the Sith thing, they are all dead. Kylo isn't Sith and neither is Snoke. I say is rather than was because Snoke isn't dead. I don't believe for a minute that was his actual form.

Of course, but it still shows that people can be powerful without having the relevant training.

But more so, give us a Bane movie.

Associate
Watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

a lot of great memories from the original times as a kid and watching this caused me to shred the odd watery eye lol, i really need to man up lol
Shed a tear! At what?

All of the new characters are thoroughly unlikeable, the only character that you might feel some empathy for is Kylo Ren because his whole life has been messed up

Caporegime
Of course, but it still shows that people can be powerful without having the relevant training.

But more so, give us a Bane movie.

Unsure what you mean, what shows us? The only thing we know about Bane is he formed the order of two, was a Sith and was called Bane. His only canon reference is in the Clone Wars series.

Caporegime
Unsure what you mean, what shows us? The only thing we know about Bane is he formed the order of two, was a Sith and was called Bane. His only canon reference is in the Clone Wars series.

What I'm saying is just because we haven't seen an untrained powerful force user in 'Canon' doesn't mean it isn't possible.

As with previous EU it was shown it is.

Associate
Of course you can, but it sounded very patronising.

Shed a tear at 40 years of nostalgia maybe? Seeing Luke and leia on screen again 'together' etc.
Hmmm. Okay. Guess it was a bit patronising but i just don't have much feelings towards any of the new characters. I will tell you what movie did get me emotional over Christmas. I watched A Monster Calls on Amazon. That was a real gut wrencher

Associate
Hmmm. Okay. Guess it was a bit patronising but i just don't have much feelings towards any of the new characters. I will tell you what movie did get me emotional over Christmas. I watched A Monster Calls on Amazon. That was a real gut wrencher

Yeah that bit with Luke and leia and a few other bits, just shot me back in time to playing with the old school figures and the memories came flooding out lol

Back
Top Bottom