Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
https://www.empireonline.com/movies...st-jedi-10-revelations-director-rian-johnson/

The main "revelation" is that Rian Johnson is a misguided deliberately destructive chuffnut.

I'm honestly surprised at how much the wasteful averageness of this movie has affected me. I'm not a Star Wars fanboy I hadn't watched the original trilogy for a decade before TFA, I hadn't read a book since Timothy Zahn's towering masterpiece trilogy in the 90's and I hadn't watched a YouTube deconstruction before TLJ and I don't own a single piece of Star Wars merchandise. Plainly I had fond memories of Star Wars and it's surprising that this act of vandalism has awoken such passion.

His revelations are tosh, he may have put that much thought into how he wanted it but it came across as some high school social justice play. We waited 30 years to see Luke; the most powerful jedi ever, become a bumbling joke who wants to die on his little island but leaves maps to find him, ya know...just because. Actually all the men in this were inconsequential to the point of not needing to be there....im surprised Disney didnt shoehorn the characters from Frozen in this somehow.

Soldato
seems to me that he wanted an answer to each question / expectation that the audience wasnt expecting or wasnt the "easy" choice

Like how the lukes father reveal in ESB was unexpected or shocking

I think he would have got away with it on one or two of these if the other things had met expectations
the problem is when EVERY thing you are anticipating is a twist it gets annoying

I think Rey parents IS a better choice narratively to be nobodies
He might have got away with killing off snoke if it even just had one line somewhere about who or what he is
Luke stuff is just wrong though, I cant get my head around it and it seems Hamill couldnt either and had to gave up fighting it and did what was asked of him by Ryan (he did a very good job with what he was given)

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I think Rey parents IS a better choice narratively to be nobodies

The only way to save Rey from being Disney's antiquated Mary Sue was to give her parentage and prior training. She became most powerful Force wielder in history of the galaxy in days. She could block mind probing, fight trained Jedi knights-turned-Sith and win (and Kylo himself wasn't just any Force weakling - he was capable of never seen before tricks - stopping lasers mid air, making people unable to move etc), mind trick stormtroopers and so on - all on the first try. And the only way to explain that was to make her fully fledged, fully trained Jedi or Sith with strong lineage - a Skywalker, a Kenobi, a Palpatine etc - memory blocked and hidden on Jaku. But no - she's a nobody and that nobody automatically becomes Mary Sue - she's just THAT great at everything she does on the first try BECAUSE shortcut in plot. And that's the lousiest of all the lazy, badly written, non proof read teenage school play junk in this new trilogy.

Soldato
@v0n I agree, I also feel a few small adjustments to the plot could have saved some of these jarring plot points. You can tolerate a certain degree of crap plot ideas but Johnson just seemed to double down on every bad one with another.

If Snoke had just mentioned he'd been the only one of Palpatine's Inquisitors to survive or similar you would immediately accept him without knowing anymore.
If Luke had suggested he'd trained Rey's parents, or knew of some other force trained people who went missing with their child shortly before/after Jakku it implies a heritage, a training that was hidden for protection (from Snoke maybe). It can be separate to Skywalker but plausible.
But just being exceptional "because" is ridiculous.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
@v0n
If Snoke had just mentioned he'd been the only one of Palpatine's Inquisitors to survive or similar you would immediately accept him without knowing anymore.

Wow, that it - you've literally just chucked in a script idea that works better than anything JJ or Johnson did with Snoke - so simple, so easy - I can almost imagine him delivering that line in one of his tantrums in front of Hux and Ren "I slaved for decades as Emperor's Inquisitor for the furthest, darkest, most forgotten reaches of this galaxy, I've built the first base in the outer rim, trained the first units and built this Order from scratch out of ashes, and now you two are just destroying it all away". 10 seconds of screen time, sorted. See, a few people together on internet forum - better scripts than billion dollar franchise. Chills.

On a less serious note, I decided to "blame it all" on Yoda. Hundreds and thousands of men, women and creatures, gazillion creds in equipment, planets destroyed, billions of parsecs of galaxy living in fear. Because of Yoda. Hear me out:

Since we now know afterlife Yoda (the ghost) can affect physics of the real world, summon thunders and start fires all I ask is - why not do it in Snoke's chambers. At least twenty years earlier. At the very least, why that green, lazy, mean, passive aggressive forking git couldn't summon a nice fire on a dreadnaught bridge at the very same moment he decided to spend with Luke discussing "page turner" value of Jedi training material. See? What a ******* **** that Yoda creature.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Well, he has a history of bailing out.

Lost one battle in RotS and he goes in to hiding :/

Associate
Did we know anything about Palpatine in the original trilogy?
No, however that was the beginning of the saga and it was accepted that things just were. We didn't know Vader in ANH either, but his story was fleshed out considerably in ESB and RoTJ. Episode VIII did nothing to add backstory other than tear down any hooks planted in VII.

Now we have a set of stories, a 30 year gap, and some more stories. In my view it would be reasonable to assume that we'd be given even the vaguest description of what happened in the interim.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Did we know anything about Palpatine in the original trilogy?

In ANH we arrived at the pre-established world engulfed in civil war between The Empire and Rebels. We then discovered Force users, light side, dark side, and all. In OT everything was gradual - we get some info from intro scroll, then Kenobi tells us a bit about Vader, then others appear to be equal or higher rank than Vader (Tarkin), then we hear there is someone higher rank than all of them, since it was The Empire, with Lords and stuff, we also expected Emperor, and that guy was trickled down for us for ages, decades literally, a single sentence, a comment, glimpse here, video chat there, then finally the arrival. We were introduced to the concepts how that world worked gradually.

In TFA we are informed that First Order is basically a group of imperial marauders who re-organised in outer rim into something between bunch of guerillas, corsairs and maybe foreign legion. They are led by a new yet very old and weathered powerful dark side Force user with a bit of grandeur communist panache (The Supreme Leader and all). That's like fifth or sixth scene. So no wonder we are all like what "dark side Force user", who is he, why is Republic not re-established, what is FO doing occupying entire planets, how does that Snookie person have the money for all those armies and toys, what's going on? We are never told. All we get for two movies now is "it is what it is", "go with it".

Last edited:
Soldato
Since we now know afterlife Yoda (the ghost) can affect physics of the real world, summon thunders and start fires all I ask is - why not do it in Snoke's chambers. At least twenty years earlier. At the very least, why that green, lazy, mean, passive aggressive forking git couldn't summon a nice fire on a dreadnaught bridge at the very same moment he decided to spend with Luke discussing "page turner" value of Jedi training material. See? What a ******* **** that Yoda creature.

Presumably 'the force' can't be used on others that know 'the force'. Which arks back to how did Luke trick Kylo? - ridiculous.

Since we now know afterlife Yoda (the ghost) can affect physics of the real world, summon thunders and start fires all I ask is ....

Well thanks to Johnson we can now expect force Yoda, Luke, Ben, Qui Gon and Anakin to lay the force smack down on Kylo. I guess Ep IX will start with Kylo giving a big speech about his plans to rule the galaxy then force ghosts appear and 'drop mic' on him....end credits. Film should last at least 15mins including titles? :D

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Which arks back to how did Luke trick Kylo? - ridiculous.

Here is another one of those sensing "whaaaat"'s : if Snoke had ability to pinpoint and isolate Force users across galaxy to "ForceTime" connect Kylo with Rey (I bet she won't undress herself again without checking "the feels" several times btw), why not use that ability for something more productive, you know, Rey is at Luke's.. you are looking for Luke... (weights air in both hands) I'm just saying... who else can you sense and isolate? Leia? Oh, look, you no longer need that "hyperspace tracker". Oh the shield on those half baked plot devices...

Soldato
Supposedly a fan edit has been put on the internets, lasting a whole 46 minutes with all female rolls cut out. :D

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/mens-rights-activist-star-wars-last-jedi-remove-women-1201917805/
Jesus Christ the SJWs are really riled up about it as well, resorting to name calling and not even trying to justify why any of these characters are worth screen time in the movie. Pretty much every 'Strong' female character in this film make it worse. I have no problem with Leia in the OT, no problem with Padme in the PT, no problem with Ahsoka in the Clone Wars show, no problem with Jyn Erso, all of which are portrayed as strong female characters. What I do have a problem with is poorly written characters that are awful regardless of gender and the fact that they didn't even try to hide their SJW agenda in TLJ. I'd be much more on board with Rey if she actually had character development and wasn't literally perfect in every conceivable way and if Leia had died when she was blown up in the bridge she'd have gone out like the badass she has been for the last 4 films.

Last edited:

J.T

J.T

Soldato
It just a Star Wars movie! In what way does it have an SJW agenda?

People are getting obsessed with stuff that isn't even there.

Oh come on... really?

Even my missus said "that was a bit heavy handed" after seeing it referring to the "big up" of the Woman characters and the put down of the Men. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom