Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Associate
Supposedly a fan edit has been put on the internets, lasting a whole 46 minutes with all female rolls cut out. :D

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/mens-rights-activist-star-wars-last-jedi-remove-women-1201917805/

I haven't seen this edit, nor do I intend to, but having read the description from the creator I feel pretty confident in saying that this has been created as satire and has gone right over the heads of the perpetually offended. I'm sure there is a joke to be made about removing any two hours of this film being an improvement though...

Associate

Where in the article does the creator do that? It just says that others have described him as that (assuming it was done by a "he" in the first place.) Not that it matters, since the satire wouldn't work otherwise. Seriously, have a look for the full list of changes from the creator (I can't link due to swearing) and judge for yourself. It's even called the “Chauvanist Cut”...

Soldato

I think it's hilarious. That ought to get them riled up. 10/10 for this guy :D

It's obviously done as a wind up. But it does show how pointless some of these characters were if the plot has no holes without them. Like "Rose". Pretty much only Rey and Leia were the only good female characters in the whole movie, minus certain silly scenes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea well, he did mess with other parts of the movie too and some supporting characters appear in scenes after they should be dead. But he cut Laura Dern out entirely and you wouldn't know it unless you saw the proper edit.

Also Del Toro just appears out of no where with no explanation. It's pretty funny tbh :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Prejudice or people not liking something which happens to not also be not PC?
Not really prejudice is it...

Yea it's a bit like when people slated the Ghostbusters remake. They got immediately jumped on by mental feminists saying it's because the stars are women. No, it's because the movie was just dreadful.

IMO the Last Jedi was a good movie, but it had some pointless/poorly written (or poorly acted) characters.

Suspended
Yea it's a bit like when people slated the Ghostbusters remake. They got immediately jumped on by mental feminists saying it's because the stars are women. No, it's because the movie was just dreadful.

I disagree, nobody even gave it a chance hence the trailer being the most downvoted trailer in history and the actors getting abuse well before the movie even made it to cinemas.

The movie isn't even that bad. It's not really stayed in my brain but it passed the 6 laugh test at the cinema.

Soldato
...It's one of the worst movies ever made. You could tell from the trailer how bad it was going to be, because even the trailer was cringe.

Soldato
...It's one of the worst movies ever made. You could tell from the trailer how bad it was going to be, because even the trailer was cringe.
Exactly. Nobody gave it a chance because it sounded like ****, then the trailer showed that it looked like ****. The film came out and it was indeed ****.

Sure, it had one or two small chuckles, but it was still total ****.
The whole 'people don't like it because they're basement dwelling misogynists' campaign just fuelled the backlash.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Ghostbusters was a remake of flagship childhood memory of a movie. It had to match certain level. So "isn't even that bad" just wouldn't cut it. The truth is - it was **** remake. With **** cast and neither the script writers not the comediennes in leading roles tried hard enough to make it work. Not because they were women, but because that lot was just **** at comedy and acting, at least in that particular movie.

Man of Honour
I thought the recent Ghostbusters was pretty fun. Felt different enough / not a re-hash. I laughed a couple of times at least. Really don't see why people got so upset by it.

Caporegime
I thought the recent Ghostbusters was pretty fun. Felt different enough / not a re-hash. I laughed a couple of times at least. Really don't see why people got so upset by it.

I heard a thing that was interesting the other week.

Gamers are the worst people to design games. Gamers want to relive their childhood by remaking the same idea, the same games, the same mechanics over and over. They are guided by nostalgia and blinded by rose tinted glasses.

Designers think outside the box and will make games that you don't know you might like, that you will like.

There is a large part of this here, or in any fandom, fans want to relive their childhood, they want to feel what they felt, the problem is when they are given the same thing they wanted, alas The Force Awakens, they moan about it.

The biggest fans are the worst critic, script writer or movie maker.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Really don't see why people got so upset by it.

There is always a point where revolving door of cinema reboots/remakes and restarts touches someone's "nerve" - something dear to them - be it childhood memories, posters on the wall in teenager room or whole family classics. This is amplified for unnecessary reboots - movies there is nothing particularly wrong or dated about, except the fact that rebroadcast/syndication rights no longer make any decent money for the studio or copyright owner. But the idea is all the same - you also have a movie you're fond of, and you would feel upset if it was remade - for some it's Ghostbusters, for some it's Star Wars, for others it may be something like Indiana Jones (inevitable, 100% guaranteed reboot within the next decade, soft reboot with Shia LeBouf failed, so hard reboot is the only way).

I couldn't care less for Ghostbusters, the original was so-so for me, is not part of my childhood canon, but I can totally acknowledge that the remake was just meh, classic remake by numbers that missed its audience. It doesn't work (as a story) for kids of Marvel generation and is not wanted by their parents.

Man of Honour
Went to see it again tonight with the other half. Her first time.

Her comment on the way out was "Was that really meant to be a Star Wars movie? Not something else that was adapted?" And she's not a Star Wars nerd....

I'm still on the fence. There's bits I like, but overall... eeeeh.... Nothing particularly drags me either way.

Soldato
I heard a thing that was interesting the other week.

Gamers are the worst people to design games. Gamers want to relive their childhood by remaking the same idea, the same games, the same mechanics over and over. They are guided by nostalgia and blinded by rose tinted glasses.

Designers think outside the box and will make games that you don't know you might like, that you will like.

There is a large part of this here, or in any fandom, fans want to relive their childhood, they want to feel what they felt, the problem is when they are given the same thing they wanted, alas The Force Awakens, they moan about it.

The biggest fans are the worst critic, script writer or movie maker.

Then they should probably stop hanging them on a well known and popular IP's name.

For Star Wars in particular, I think some of the books, comics, the animated series and Rogue One (and to a lesser extent The Force Awakens) were pretty well received.

I think fans can be critical, but they also love the material and universe. Look at the Stargates and Star Treks and many other shows that were updated or spun off and yet were received well. Good work is always appreciated, but I think there are so many issues with TLJ, particularly in how it relates to the first part of the story told in TFA, that it's rightfully criticised, and may just not be that good, visual effects not withstanding. The fact that it's new or different doesn't mean it's automatically good - that has to be earned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom