• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Starfield CPU performance reviews

Conclusions

So far from the initial data,the scaling looks similar to Fallout 4:

Basically Zen3 was around the same performance as Intel 10000/11000 series parts.

The main difference is the X3 parts don't show as much of an uplift over the normal Zen3/Zen4 parts. Memory scaling seems less extreme. With DDR5 platforms,performance does seem to scale to higher frequencies but not as severely as Fallout 4 did.

BTW,all the charts are here:

So take away notes so far:
1.)Intel does better in the game
2.)Decent speed RAM is important,but less important than in Fallout 4 so far
3.)Even 4 cores can run the game with reasonable averages,but with poor minimum FPS
4.)8 cores are required if you want to have good average and minimum FPS. Six cores might suffice.
5.)X3D CPUs are better than the normal Zen counterparts,but not as much as they were in Fallout 4

The CPU benchmarks won't be a worst case scenario. Once people start building more outposts,expect even worse performance! :(

Going by this, it seems a 14900k with a possible 6ghz core boost will fare really well in this, plus the extra L3 cache that brings as well. Looking at possibly pairing it with 7200mhz ram but i think looking at some of those slides, timing also plays a part in it too so tightening those up should net more performance too.

Going by this, it seems a 14900k with a possible 6ghz core boost will fare really well in this, plus the extra L3 cache that brings as well. Looking at possibly pairing it with 7200mhz ram but i think looking at some of those slides, timing also plays a part in it too so tightening those up should net more performance too.

It also makes me think the Core i5 14600KF will be also solid in this.

It also makes me think the Core i5 14600KF will be also solid in this.

Theres quite a few factors to consider, not just plainly smashing up ram speed. Need to give this more thought though Starfield is abit of a isolated scenario with it using its older revamped engine. Good to know that increasing ram speed among other things will actually net you quite abit more performance.

Theres quite a few factors to consider, not just plainly smashing up ram speed. Need to give this more thought though Starfield is abit of a isolated scenario with it using its older revamped engine. Good to know that increasing ram speed among other things will actually net you quite abit more performance.

Just check the results in the Fallout 4 benchmark thread. I am still surprised the X3D CPUs don't perform any better.

I wish game performance was more consistent! I am loathed to have to revamp the entire base of my system to DDR5 just for one game, when for 99% of the games out there, ram speed hardly makes any difference at all (or at least it is nowhere near being the bottleneck before the gpu/cpu). :p

I think if the frame generation mods turn out to work really well/are stable (or even if we hopefully we get official DLSS 3.0 support) i'm going to try and resist upgrading my platform just for this game.

Last edited:
I wish game performance was more consistent! I am loathed to have to revamp the entire base of my system to DDR5 just for one game, when for 99% of the games out there, ram speed hardly makes any difference at all (or at least it is nowhere near being the bottleneck before the gpu/cpu). :p

I think if the frame generation mods turn out to work really well/are stable (or even if we hopefully we get official DLSS 3.0 support) i'm going to try and resist upgrading my platform just for this game.

I mean it mostly is :p, this is the first time aside from FO that we've had to really tweak something like Ram to squeeze performance and where it actually makes a difference. It definitely isn't worth upgrading your whole system just to utilise DDR5. The DLSS mods so far have been great tbh, its a shame it needs it to run anywhere near what it should be natively but free performance is free performance.

Back
Top Bottom