Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Soldato
This looks interesting but quite complicated, I think it'll take me a while to suss it and get into it. Is it best to do a single player game with full tutorial to learn the basics? Or, straight to multi player?

Performance seems a bit iffy too, I can be hitting 70 frames with the gpu at around 10% usage? I also get a strange judder/pause thing going if I try to navigate while it's in fast mode?

Associate
Anyone figured out how to increase the number of possible colonies? I'm guessing it's some kind of research, but I'm wondering how long it'll take?

Also, increasing influence?

Forget the second question, I just got the Planetary Unification tech! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone figured out how to increase the number of possible colonies? I'm guessing it's some kind of research, but I'm wondering how long it'll take?

Also, increasing influence?

Forget the second question, I just got the Planetary Unification tech! :)

You can change the type of govt you run which can give you +4 as a maximum, but you can also get techs that increase the number.

You can alternatively put planets into sectors with one governor managing them all and that will free up some spots for you.

Associate
You can change the type of govt you run which can give you +4 as a maximum, but you can also get techs that increase the number.

You can alternatively put planets into sectors with one governor managing them all and that will free up some spots for you.

Aww that's amazing! I just set up two sectors and freed up 4 colony slots. Onward to glory!

Thanks mate!

Soldato
When I built an outpost, my 4th so far, my borders increased but my influence dropped and I'm now in negative influence. Not really sure what happened. I think I may need to start paying attention to government policies.

Is there anything you can do in surveyed systems that are not under your influence?

Associate
When I built an outpost, my 4th so far, my borders increased but my influence dropped and I'm now in negative influence. Not really sure what happened. I think I may need to start paying attention to government policies.

Is there anything you can do in surveyed systems that are not under your influence?

Each frontier outpost costs something like 170 influence to build, and drains 1 influence per month for upkeep.

Associate
You have to watch influence very carefully, it's used for so many things but regenerates pretty slowly. In my first playthrough I used it a bit willy nilly which screwed me over later on, this time I let it build up to about 500 before touching it now I can manage what I use it for a lot better

Associate
I've restarted as a democracy with an election every 5 years after reading a post earlier in the thread. Every time there is a new leader you get a mandate which is usually build 5 mining stations or research posts. Once you fulfill that you get 85-120 influence points as a reward. I also seem to be getting more government techs which are increasing the influence per month, but I'm not sure if that is coincidence or not.

Soldato

Frontier Outposts are designed to be just that, not permanent parts of you're empire. They consume influence to maintain and cost influence to build in the first place. So use them wisely to get a foothold in region to exploit some resources and then as soon as you can, dismantle it. You'll only be able to keep that space if you've colonised some planets nearby.

There are several techs that boost influence, and you can set empires as rivals to gain influence. Being in an alliance consumes influence too so don't enter into them unless needed.

Surveyed systems not in you're territory can have wormhole generators and defence platforms built in them iirc. Nowt else.

As clav said, in democracies with regular votes you get a chunk of influence just for building a few things that they have a mandate for, which you'd probably build anyway.

Edit : I've still not actually played yet lol.

Soldato
haha you've not even played but you taught me something. I were getting a little confused with the Outposts and when to colonize. I only have one, but now I see that you simply use them to expand until you can colonize that system?
I also entered an Alliance last night too and didn't have a clue it cost me influence which is good to know. Luckily am a democratic government so can also do the mandate stuff for more.

I need to find some tutorial or a vid on how to manage the surface stuff as atm I am guessing. If I see someone is unemployed I am just building something there but have no idea if I should be specializing an area, what buildings work together etc.

Am working through Unstable Voltages lets play so hopefully he will cover it in a bit more depth at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to find some tutorial or a vid on how to manage the surface stuff as atm I am guessing. If I see someone is unemployed I am just building something there but have no idea if I should be specializing an area, what buildings work together etc.

Am working through Unstable Voltages lets play so hopefully he will cover it in a bit more depth at some point.

You can drag the unemployed onto buildings that are not producing (red icon bottom right of the surface tile).

Thanks for clearing up the influence thing too, I didn't think about colonising the planet and then removing the outpost.

Man of Honour
Without going through tutorials again, how do I merge fleets, found the button to split them.

Ran out of money this go, pretty early on. Had 6 systems.

Back
Top Bottom