Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Man of Honour
Bernd Leno fee agreed pending a medical.

I'm a little less excited about him after reading a few articles + tweets from people more familiar with the Bundesliga. He also seems to have a few howlers a season which isn't confidence inspiring. However he is young, we have new goalkeeping coaches, and he can't be worse than Cech/Ospina.

Torreira should be completed in the next few weeks, with Sokratis wrapped up in early July. Not a bad window if they all go through :)

Soldato
Bernd Leno fee agreed pending a medical.

I'm a little less excited about him after reading a few articles + tweets from people more familiar with the Bundesliga. He also seems to have a few howlers a season which isn't confidence inspiring. However he is young, we have new goalkeeping coaches, and he can't be worse than Cech/Ospina.

Torreira should be completed in the next few weeks, with Sokratis wrapped up in early July. Not a bad window if they all go through :)

I'm excited. Supposedly he had a good season last year. Torriera is meant to be really good and Sokratis too.

I think the point is that these players take us to the next level, not necessary win the league. We need a bigger budget. But step by step.

Top four is the target next year and win the Europa League as the icing on the cake if possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Willian is a great player and we are sorely missing some creativity on the right hand side. Valencia makes me so sad when he runs down the wing and either puts in an awful cross or more often checks back, run backwards a few metres and then passed to another United player after completely halting the attack.

Im not sure id use the word great..hes a good player but he's 30 in two months. Surely you can invest that money elsewhere? Seems a lot for a fella with a 1 in 7 ish games.

Soldato
Willian is a good player and he'd be a decent signing for United if he didn't cost too much, but the £60 million being talked about by the papers is madness. There's no way he's worth that, particularly given he's nearly 30.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Im not sure id use the word great..hes a good player but he's 30 in two months. Surely you can invest that money elsewhere? Seems a lot for a fella with a 1 in 7 ish games.

He does a lot for Chelsea and most teams aren't expecting their wingers to score that many goals. I'm a big fan of what he offers. Unselfish, works hard and is a good player. £60m is a lot however.

Willian is a good player and he'd be a decent signing for United if he didn't cost too much, but the £60 million being talked about by the papers is madness. There's no way he's worth that, particularly given he's nearly 30.

Yeah, £40m I would be happy to pay.

Soldato
He does a lot for Chelsea and most teams aren't expecting their wingers to score that many goals. I'm a big fan of what he offers. Unselfish, works hard and is a good player. £60m is a lot however.

Yeah, £40m I would be happy to pay.

Id expect more then a in 8. Look at wide players at other clubs around you...Salah and Mane then Sane and Sterling. Willian isn't in that bracket of player, that's who United should be going for imo.

Soldato
I don't really care what we pay for Willian, if Utd can afford it and still bring in other talent, then go for it. I'm shameless, I'm a Utd supporter! :D
Would prefer other targets and Willian perhaps being brought in towards the end of the window once other business is done though.

Soldato
Wouldn’t you worry about the short term nature of it? Wouldn’t you prefer to sign someone in the ballpark of talent/age/prospects of Sane than an older forward who’ll you just have to replace again in a few years if you’re lucky? I’m not saying buying a highly thought of early twenties player will definitely work, but you can afford to go for the cream of that crop which lessens the risk.

Although if your manager can’t develop younger players then maybe older pros is the sensible move.
Unfortunately I'm err'ing more on the side of... because it's Mourinho I don't almost want to see him destroying young players. Hopefully in a year or two he'll do one, and we can pick up a few of the promising players. Completely short sighted and short term view, but that's where United is at under Mourinho. It's sad and we just have to let him get on with his short sighted crap.

I'd love to see a manager come in who pushes exciting, attacking football and could develop Martial, Fosu-Mensah and McTominay, even blind runner Rashford. (I'm still not a fan of Rashford, his style just aggravates me)
But, that's not going to happen for a year or two yet.

Soldato
Id expect more then a in 8. Look at wide players at other clubs around you...Salah and Mane then Sane and Sterling. Willian isn't in that bracket of player, that's who United should be going for imo.

Mane isn't that far off, Salah is a one off (Is anyone really expecting him to score anywhere near as he did last season?) - who's to say Utd need that bracket of player right now anyway? At the moment we just need anyone able to stretch the defence out on that side and quick enough to create a few assists and score a few and generally be (a lot ) quicker than Mata.

We still have (hopefully) a top level centre-half, and left full back as well as a CM to get in this summer- so we don't have the ~£100m to spend on a winger this summer, and maybe we don't need to - just need a wait a season for youngsters to potentially be blooded.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm excited. Supposedly he had a good season last year. Torriera is meant to be really good and Sokratis too.

I think the point is that these players take us to the next level, not necessary win the league. We need a bigger budget. But step by step.

Top four is the target next year and win the Europa League as the icing on the cake if possible.

What I like about these signings is that we're finally getting players in the positions we've been weak in for the past 4 or 5 seasons.
OK, they're not top top level players, but it shows that the new guy has identified the weaknesses in our squad and is doing his best to fix them within the budget he's been given

Man of Honour
Wilshere to leave this summer according to his instagram

He wanted to stay and was willing to sign a reduced contract but I don't think the new manager rates him.

An underwhelming way to leave after almost 17 years at Arsenal, hopefully a decent midtable club picks him up.

First team coaches Neil Banfield, Tony Colbert, Jens Lehmann, Gerry Peyton and Boro Primorac; Head of Medical Services, Colin Lewin; Physiotherapists Andy Rolls and Ben Ashworth; Osteopath Dr Philippe Boixel and Travel Manager Paul Johnson have left the club.

They're not ******* around!

Don

He wanted to stay and was willing to sign a reduced contract but I don't think the new manager rates him.

An underwhelming way to leave after almost 17 years at Arsenal, hopefully a decent midtable club picks him up.

It wouldn't be the first time a player has left a club and then been offered a new contract either.

Caporegime

They're not ******* around!
Quite saddened that he’s not been kept hold of. Sure I get that he’s injury prone but when he is fit and plays, he’s one of the very few arsenal players that show any sort of passion.

But I hope he finds a decent team and does well.

Lol yeh definitely some wholesale changes with the coaching staff. God only knows why he has decided to keep hold of Bould, he was one of the culprits along with Wenger that caused us to go backwards.

But anyhow quite excited to see what Emery does with our squad next season. For the first time in a few yrs I’m quite looking forward to our games next season. May even go to a few as well.

Soldato
It's an old video now but:

A) Comparing Neuer to Leno in the first place is note worthy
B) Even the mighty Neuer makes gaffes.

Looks like a good keeper with lots of Champions League experience:

What I will say tho is, with a new GK, potentially two new CB's and a new DM it might take them a little bit of time to gel and became a unit.

It's funny how when Wenger arrived he had a great defence and just added the attacking flair to it, whilst Emery has inherited the attacking unit and his job is just to add a defence to complement it.

I'm happy so far and hopefully we sign Sokrates and Torreira.

If we sign on top of that Soyuncu or Gelson Martins or Yacine Adli I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Glad Jacks off. Mediocre player who never achieved his potential. He’s got a cheek demanding first team football to stay. No one should be guaranteed first team football, especially someone with the problems he’s had over the years.

The days of safe comfy Wenger Arsenal, are over at last.

Caporegime
He's better than mediocre. And it's not cheek, it's just honesty and being realistic. Like he says, at his age/this stage of his career he needs to be playing... he'd be happy to accept less money if that was a possibility, but even though the deal's on the table he's not taking it because he wants first team football. He had an honest chat with the manager and wants to move on to play football. Trying to criticise him for that is frankly embarrassing.
Trust me, he’s mediocre. He was struggling to get in the Bournemouth team last season. He’s a terrible decision maker and spends far too much time running down blind alleys and eventually falling over. No top six team will take him, he’ll end up at mid to lower table like Wolves or West Ham. It’s a shame, he could have been a top player, but his development stuttered badly when his body started letting him down. He’s fit now, but it won’t take much for another lengthy spell on the sidelines. He doesn’t help himself with his party boy attitude of drinking and smoking too.

If he wants guaranteed first team football, then that’s his choice, fine, but he should not have expected it at Arsenal when he couldn’t even get it at Bournemouth!

Back
Top Bottom