Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Soldato
Everybody keeps saying this but think about it logically. If a PL side doesn't want to sell a player, they don't have to and if you're a European side that wants to buy a PL player (one that's not actively for sale at least) you're not going to wait until after the PL deadline to try and sign him. Not that I'm convinced there's a lot of substance to the Pogba/Barca stories but using that as an example, Barca will know that (unless Utd want to sell him) there's not a chance in hell that Utd would accept an offer after deadline day and even if they would, it would cost twice as much as before the PL deadline. If we see any PL players move abroad after the deadline it will be players that they're actively looking to sell and don't need replacing.

See your point, cheers.

Least Arsenal have a slim chance of getting rid of Wellbeck, Jenkinson still then.

Soldato
United have now made an approach to Atletico Madrid to enquire about the availability of Godin. Honestly, by this point I'm despairing with United's transfers. We've had all summer to sort out a CB or two, it's obvious it's a position United need, and yet for whatever reason the club hasn't been able to get anything over the line (yet). What's bizarre is that in the previous seasons with Mourinho and Woodward working together we've been very decisive in the transfer market.

Man of Honour
United have now made an approach to Atletico Madrid to enquire about the availability of Godin. Honestly, by this point I'm despairing with United's transfers. We've had all summer to sort out a CB or two, it's obvious it's a position United need, and yet for whatever reason the club hasn't been able to get anything over the line (yet). What's bizarre is that in the previous seasons with Mourinho and Woodward working together we've been very decisive in the transfer market.

Godin's 31 right? It does sound a little desperate..

Don
Mina's in the North West. It would be funny if Utd hijacked that deal at the last minute.

Anyway, it looks almost certain that there's no more incomings at Liverpool. We've had a good window but I'm not sure it's been quite as good as what some people think it's been. Alisson's the one noticeable upgrade (at least on paper) but if you look at our midfield and attack, with Ox likely to miss the entire season, we've replaced Can, Ox and Coutinho with Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri. A lot of the football manager/twitter experts will tell you that Fabinho's a massive upgrade on Can but I'm always a little cautious about listening to them, they told us that Moreno was the best LB around too. Even if Fabinho is an upgrade on Can, we're not noticeably better off than the start of last season in midfield and attack either in depth or quality, at least through signings. We've probably got a better balance to the squad now with having a natural holding midfielder in Fabinho and somebody that can play right across the front 3 in Shaqiri but whether we've ultimately got greater depth is probably going to depend on how ready Curtis Jones is and whether Sturridge can stay fit. Had the Fekir deal not fell through I'd have been a lot happier.
Godin's 31 right? It does sound a little desperate..
32. And this is why I have sympathy with boards that are dealing with Mourinho. Utd have 5 senior CB's, 2 of which he signed for big fees but here we are on deadline day with him happy to sign any old CB. Could Utd do with improving their CB options? Yes but they're not absolutely desperate to sign one that they should sign anybody and then do the same next season and the season after.

Man of Honour
If I start out now, I could get to Manchester by 5. I don’t even want wages, I’ll settle for one punch a week to Mourinho’s miserable face.

:D i'm seriously thinking that Mourinho is starting to put players off with his personal attitude.

I have mixed feelings about Spurs lack of buying.. On one hand, we need to strengthen the squad while getting rid of some dead wood in the side.. on the other hand, we do have a solid consistent first team that hasn't changed much over the last few years. My guessing is that's where they feel there strength is. Personally, i'm not convinced.. It's harder for top players to come into a side that's settled only to be sidelined.

I worry that if Ali shows the same form as that of last season, we'll struggle.

Don
Nothing's going to happen today, is it? It's staggering to think that Spurs won't sign a single player. Given how quickly Poch signed a new deal after his comments about Spurs needing to be brave and take risks to be competitive, I assumed he'd have been given some sort of assurances over transfers. City have been trying to sign cover/competition for Fernandinho since January and still not signed anybody and god knows what's going on at Utd.

Back
Top Bottom