Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Man of Honour
Looks like Ryan Kent could be off to Rangers for £6m and Bobby Duncan to Fiorentina for just under £2m.

Bad move that for Duncan imo. He's listening to the wrong people, Gomez, TAA and soon Brewster have shown what happens if you bide your time and take the opportunities when they arise. I dont know how he thinks he is going to just walk into the Fiorentina team, in a new league, with no Italian language skills, in a foreign country at 18. I wouldnt be surprised if its pretty much the last we hear of him.

Sensible move for Kent, he's 23 in a couple of months so he needs to get regular football and he had a pretty successful loan stint at Rangers last year so a win/win for all parties.

Permabanned
Bad move that for Duncan imo. He's listening to the wrong people, Gomez, TAA and soon Brewster have shown what happens if you bide your time and take the opportunities when they arise. I dont know how he thinks he is going to just walk into the Fiorentina team, in a new league, with no Italian language skills, in a foreign country at 18. I wouldnt be surprised if its pretty much the last we hear of him.

Could go either way, look at Sancho.

Don
Given how he left City and what's gone on in the last few weeks, it's clear that he's very ambitious and has probably got the wrong people in his ear telling him the wrong things. I think the details in his agents statement regarding Liverpool's stance tell you a fair bit about how highly we rated him though. His agent admitted that we were open to selling him on a permanent deal and that we weren't giving him a new contract - straight away that's a fairly strong indicator that the club don't believe he has a long term future with us. But it's the fact that the club were dead set against allowing him to go out on loan which was most telling to me. If you take Ryan Kent as an example, the club have been happy to loan him out for a couple of years now and wasn't because they believed he would make it with us, it was because they knew it would lead to a permanent transfer for a decent fee at some point down the line. To have no interest in loaning him out tells you, and has been reported, that the club didn't believe he would get any game time out on loan.

From the bits I've seen of him in the youth sides, he's not nearly as good as Brewster is/was and even Brewster, imo, is at best an outside bet at making it with us.
Just like when Arsenal signed Fabregas and every PL side started raiding La Liga, we're now seeing a trend where European sides are doing the same to the PL. For every Sancho/Fabregas there will be 20 kids that never make a 1st team appearance though.

Man of Honour

Yeah but I see that as a different situation. He left Man City, joined a team that was strong in its league (Borussia Dortmund) and a team which actually plays in a similar style, almost an english style of play you might say. Duncan has left Liverpool, joined a team which isnt really doing great at the moment (Fiorentina) and plays a quite different style. It may work out for him but my opinion is that it wont.

Caporegime
So I see Mhiki has left for AS Roma today. Not a player I’m going to miss as he wasn’t that great for us bar a few games here and there.

Wish him luck and sadly Mustafi still hasn’t ****** off yet lol

Don
You don't honestly believe that, do you? Looking through the players that have left, maybe their entire wages totals £46m per year but how much do you think £70m Pepe will be getting? Luiz? Tierney? Ceballos? I'd imagine Arsenal will probably be covering most of Saliba's wages too - St Etienne certainly won't be able to pay him whatever Arsenal are giving him. In fact once you factor in any new contracts that were either signed at the back end of last season or will be signed this season, I'd be surprised if Arsenal's wagebill has dropped by even 10% of that £46m figure.

Soldato

Duncan isn’t sancho. He’s a good finisher, but he’s no footballer. Could be he’s never flourished, but he’s not done that at Man City or Liverpool. He’s scored goals. It’s not like he’s Brewster, or foden, or even glaztel or Herbie Kane.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We have now shaved nearly £46m off the wage bill this summer thanks to clearing out the dead wood. Cech, Welbeck, Iwobi, Kos, Mkhi, Monreal, Elneny. All big earners.

I would be stunned if you got £46m off the wage bill with those players gone unless you are totalling their entire remaining contracts. As Baz says, you have replaced those guys with far more expensive players wage wise.

Caporegime
OP
I would be stunned if you got £46m off the wage bill with those players gone unless you are totalling their entire remaining contracts. As Baz says, you have replaced those guys with far more expensive players wage wise.
Well what I actually meant was that with all those players gone, we shaved £46m a year off the wage bill, but obviously a lot of that has been replaced with new signings.

The new signings have an approx annual wage bill of £22.4m. That leaves us £23.6m a year better off with wages. Tierney, Ceballos and Martinelli combined are earning £5k a week less than Mkhitaryan was!

Don
Well what I actually meant was that with all those players gone, we shaved £46m a year off the wage bill, but obviously a lot of that has been replaced with new signings.

The new signings have an approx annual wage bill of £22.4m. That leaves us £23.6m a year better off with wages. Tierney, Ceballos and Martinelli combined are earning £5k a week less than Mkhitaryan was!
I'll bet any amount you want that when Arsenal's accounts for this season come out, you wouldn't have reduced your wage bill by £20m.

Do you honestly believe that Pepe, your record signing by a distance, is joining you for much less (if at all) than what your highest earners are on? Tierney, Ceballos and Luiz will all be earning £100k+ per week too. I have no idea who this Martinelli guy is but the 4 other signings alone will account for at least £30m in wages. Reports in Italy, unsurprisingly, are that you're paying a chunk of Mikhi's wages and I'm certain you'll be paying most if not all of Saliba's wages while he's at St Etienne too. There will no doubt be clauses in deals (and or new deals) for certain youngsters that have broken into the first team and new deals to various senior players - there's already reports of new deals for Auba and Laca on the cards.

Soldato
When you consider a player to be deadwood, then getting them out and their wages off the books has to a good thing. The top 3 earners in this list were stealing a living last year.

Mkhitaryan £180,000
Petr Cech £110,000
Danny Welbeck £125,000
Aaron Ramsey £120,000
Laurent Koscielny £90,000
Nacho Monreal £70,000
Mohamed Elneny £50,000
Alex Iwobi £50,000
Carl Jenkinson £45,000

Edit: The new deals for the strikers is apparently going to be performance related.. ie. Get us into the Champions League and we'll pay you more!

Caporegime
OP
I'll bet any amount you want that when Arsenal's accounts for this season come out, you wouldn't have reduced your wage bill by £20m.

Do you honestly believe that Pepe, your record signing by a distance, is joining you for much less (if at all) than what your highest earners are on? Tierney, Ceballos and Luiz will all be earning £100k+ per week too. I have no idea who this Martinelli guy is but the 4 other signings alone will account for at least £30m in wages. Reports in Italy, unsurprisingly, are that you're paying a chunk of Mikhi's wages and I'm certain you'll be paying most if not all of Saliba's wages while he's at St Etienne too. There will no doubt be clauses in deals (and or new deals) for certain youngsters that have broken into the first team and new deals to various senior players - there's already reports of new deals for Auba and Laca on the cards.
Tierney £75k pw
Ceballos £70k pw
Pepe and Luiz £140k pw
Martinelli £30k pw

Don
You're in dreamland if you believe you're paying those players that sort of money. The average Arsenal first team player will be earning over £100k per week and before you try to dispute that rob, take a look at Arsenal's accounts and do some calculations. You're total wage bill is over £240m as of the 17/18 season with the bulk of that being accounted for by 25-30 senior players and staff.

Man of Honour
You're in dreamland if you believe you're paying those players that sort of money. The average Arsenal first team player will be earning over £100k per week and before you try to dispute that rob, take a look at Arsenal's accounts and do some calculations. You're total wage bill is over £240m as of the 17/18 season with the bulk of that being accounted for by 25-30 senior players and staff.

According to the Arsenal website wages for all staff totalled £223mil (includes non-player staff too) for the financial year ending in May 2018. Do you have a link for the £240mil+ figure?

I doubt Ceballos is on 100k+ and a lot of our squad is relatively young, I might have missed something but there's little to indicate that our wage bill isn't looking a lot healthier. I guess we can only know when the most recent accounts are published.

Don
According to the Arsenal website wages for all staff totalled £223mil (includes non-player staff too) for the financial year ending in May 2018. Do you have a link for the £240mil+ figure?

I doubt Ceballos is on 100k+ and a lot of our squad is relatively young, I might have missed something but there's little to indicate that our wage bill isn't looking a lot healthier. I guess we can only know when the most recent accounts are published.
Page 21 of your annual report below. £240,060,000 to be exact.

https://www.arsenal.com/sites/defau...ed - Group Annual Report ye 31-5-18 final.pdf

Even if you deduct £40m for non football staff & academy players, which I'd guess was on the generous side, that still leaves £200m being spent on approx 30 players/senior staff. The average wage of a senior player at Arsenal will be comfortably over £100k per week.

Back
Top Bottom