Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Don
Not sure about that. Selling Sanchez resulted in you signing Mikhi and giving Ozil a massive contract. Out of the frying pan, into the fire springs to mind.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure about that. Selling Sanchez resulted in you signing Mikhi and giving Ozil a massive contract. Out of the frying pan, into the fire springs to mind.
Ozil contract wasn’t the best, but I think Mkhi has done more for us than Sanchez ever did for Utd. I mean, truthfully, did you even imagine for one second, that he would score more goals for us than Sanchez did for Utd? He’s not even playing for them, and still costing them wads of cash.

It’s also sad in a way. I will never know the reason for the drop off in Sanchez. It was literally off a cliff. I’d love to have a crystal ball, just to see how he would have done if he would have stayed with us past Wenger and under Emery. Although, that probably would have stopped us from signing a golden boot winner.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I like what Oles doing. I would rather have a mixed season and finish 6th-8th whilst playing youngsters than do what we have done for the past 6 years and rely on players who are on the decline or simply never going to be good enough. Sanchez was done here, Lukaku was never going to work out and we have a number of other players that need shipping out. I have no real issue with Smalling going out on loan either.

If Ole can survive this season and we can actually do some good business next summer I think we will be in a good place. I mean, missing top 4 means that we will probably lose Pogba and DDG but thats been coming for a few years and I don't blame them for leaving.

Don
Not really. He had one very good season for LvG but since then he hasn't. He's still a solid defender, I'd be happy to keep him as a backup but I imagine he wants football.
I didn't say he was particularly good but over the last 3-4 years, overall, he's been better than any other CB you've had.

edit:
I like what Oles doing. I would rather have a mixed season and finish 6th-8th whilst playing youngsters than do what we have done for the past 6 years and rely on players who are on the decline or simply never going to be good enough. Sanchez was done here, Lukaku was never going to work out and we have a number of other players that need shipping out. I have no real issue with Smalling going out on loan either.

If Ole can survive this season and we can actually do some good business next summer I think we will be in a good place. I mean, missing top 4 means that we will probably lose Pogba and DDG but thats been coming for a few years and I don't blame them for leaving.
Missing out on the top 4 wouldn't just mean losing Pogba and DDG, it's also going to make signing high quality players much, much harder. Not only through footballing reasons will it become harder for Utd to attract players but the one thing they've been able to do when they've previously missed out is just throw money at the problem. Two successive seasons out of the CL will most likely result in over £100m less revenue compared to where they would have been and no longer able to just outbid anybody.

Last edited:
Don
I would image some sponsorship packages will have penalties regarding failure to compete in the CL as well.
Yep, that's what I was referring to above. You're looking at an absolute minimum of £40m loss directly from missing out on the CL (more likely to be £50m+), then you've got lower attendances and or cheaper tickets for Europa League games and clauses in sponsorship agreements. Straight away we know that two seasons running out of the CL and Utd's adidas deal is cut by 30%.

Caporegime
Monreal is off to Real Sociedad on a permanent deal. Didn’t think we were that desperate to get shot of him, he had some pretty decent performances for us over the past few seasons. His first season with us was one to forget lol.

And I guess no one wants Mustafi, seems we are stuck with him for time being :/. Hope he never gets close to the first team this season.

Man of Honour
Elneny is off on loan to Beşiktaş too, €18mil option to buy apparently.

Seems very strange offloading a player that has been involved in all 3 league games until now...

We've got 3 defenders returning from injury. While he's been a great servant, there's no use having him stick around with both Kolašinac and Tierny covering that position. Plus it seemed like he wanted to return to spain for the last few years of his career.

Caporegime
The club has done very well getting rid of the old and useless. Must have saved a bundle on wages.
Welllll we still got that oaf Mustafi on the team books:p.

No one is really biting for him, probably because he’s such a calamity when he plays. And I know we value him at £30mill but I don’t think any team in their right mind would buy a donkey for that much. If a team comes in and says here’s £20mill we should get rid of him. Probably make a loss but hey ho, it means we no longer have to shudder at the thought of him being an arsenal player :p

Soldato
Elneny is off on loan to Beşiktaş too, €18mil option to buy apparently.

We've got 3 defenders returning from injury. While he's been a great servant, there's no use having him stick around with both Kolašinac and Tierny covering that position. Plus it seemed like he wanted to return to spain for the last few years of his career.

Doesn't he often play CB? And anyone ahead of Mustafi has to be a good thing, surely? :p

Back
Top Bottom