Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Soldato
well tell me then when you rated mata at united as being as good as when he was at chelsea?

he did overnight become worse because he was being deployed on the wing in a system which doesn't suit the player.

the whole defense is a joke. they all need to go. if they aren't going to play mata in the hole then they need to sell him. i bet the next club he goes to he does well at back in spain most likely. as he will be played in that position and do the same job he did at chelsea.

mourinho is who got rid of him at chelsea he then oversaw his decay at united too. he didn't like him for some reason, because he apaprently didn't work as hard as oscar even though he outran oscar in practically every game at chelsea.

What e did 7 years ago isn't really relevant to the decision to keep him now. Its what he brings to the table now that matters to the club. He is a good football and I agree playing him as a winger is a waste just as it was when Kagawa was played as a winger too but that excuse/reason only works up to a point when you look at the performances being turned in by the player over a long period. I'm happy for him to stay as a squad player but he isn't going to be playing in the hole in a scenario where we are trying to fit Pogba into the team too which is a whole other issue.

I have watched him struggle in games and by struggle I mean as a footballer not specifically as a winger. its not like he is being asked to hug the touch line and get chalk on his boots. I would very much doubt he will recapture his Chelsea form again because we are talking about 7 years down the line. In a more pedestrian scenario he may have a few years left in the tank but he isn't a player we can be building round and moving him on wouldn't be a huge issue.

The defence has issues although the numbers aren't as bad as player performance suggests they should be. Lindelöf is worth keeping and I still believe there is a player in Bailey somewhere but whether its worth persevering with is another matter. Jones and Smalling are simply the types of squad player that you don't mind having around as long as you aren't relying on them to actually play any games! Shaw is back to being overweight which is unforgivable in my eyes and obviously Valencia and Young aren't full backs, so in short, yeah it needs work.

That said again however, for 20 games this season that defence was fine in the context of it forming part of a winning team.

Caporegime
What e did 7 years ago isn't really relevant to the decision to keep him now. Its what he brings to the table now that matters to the club. He is a good football and I agree playing him as a winger is a waste just as it was when Kagawa was played as a winger too but that excuse/reason only works up to a point when you look at the performances being turned in by the player over a long period. I'm happy for him to stay as a squad player but he isn't going to be playing in the hole in a scenario where we are trying to fit Pogba into the team too which is a whole other issue.

I have watched him struggle in games and by struggle I mean as a footballer not specifically as a winger. its not like he is being asked to hug the touch line and get chalk on his boots. I would very much doubt he will recapture his Chelsea form again because we are talking about 7 years down the line. In a more pedestrian scenario he may have a few years left in the tank but he isn't a player we can be building round and moving him on wouldn't be a huge issue.

The defence has issues although the numbers aren't as bad as player performance suggests they should be. Lindelöf is worth keeping and I still believe there is a player in Bailey somewhere but whether its worth persevering with is another matter. Jones and Smalling are simply the types of squad player that you don't mind having around as long as you aren't relying on them to actually play any games! Shaw is back to being overweight which is unforgivable in my eyes and obviously Valencia and Young aren't full backs, so in short, yeah it needs work.

That said again however, for 20 games this season that defence was fine in the context of it forming part of a winning team.

Barca, Everton and City put 9 past you with 0 goals being scored last month. 3 games in a row. Like I said before you don't have any defenders who would walk into another top team. Shaw is hilarious. Why he hasn't been docked wages until he is fit is a mystery. You don't have a single player at the back you can depend on week in and week out. De Gea who has bailed that defence out on so many occasions has been in poor form is why so many are being shipped as compared to before. But you have to see it's the players in front of him that aren't good enough.

Stick Tierney, De Ligt, Koulibaly and Lala (upcoming french RB) in front of De Gea and there is no way they would have shipped 9 in 3 games with no reply even with a poor de gea out of form.

I'd keep Jones, Smalling, Lindelof and Bailly as back up players only. Jones is a poor mans Milner. he is good to have around as he is versatile but ideally you would want Milner.

I agree with Pogba you can't play him as a CDM with Mata in the hole. So Mata should be sold on. However Mata if played in that position would be more than good enough to play there for united. he has never had a decent run of games and when he's played he's been played wide, etc. He should have never moved there it's ruined him. Oscar left Chelsea soon after so he should have stayed and likely still be regarded as a top player in the league. He would struggle to get into city's team but he could likely play for most other teams still for another 2 years.

Soldato
he's only 31.

so not "old" and he isn't slow either at chelsea he covered more km than any other player on the pitch consistently for several seasons. you can't do that running at 8 km/h in short bursts time to time. he's not fast but he's not slow. not that there is anything wrong with being slow. zidane was slow. being slow doesn't make you a bad footballer. zidance proved you don't need pace to control or dictate a game or to take 3-4 players out of the game.
ZZ isn't playing in the EPL in 2018/19 when pace really matters (or certainly helps a great deal)

Of course he was a great player, then in the system used at that time. Maybe as a 25 yo he would be great in the EPL today, but that's certainly not gaurenteed. Would George Best be the player he was 60-70 years ago if he played today? No one knows.

Mata was awful at Utd, at No 10 , out wide or trying his hardest as a cm - he was awful all over the pitch and has been for years. He worked very occasionally in specific situations / against certain teams but generally was a complete waste of time . Might well be the nicest guy in football, but on the pitch has been woeful for years.

he has never had a decent run of games

What complete **** - he has been given run of games by most managers in the last 6 years in the No 10 and it just hasn't worked, or as I said worked for partial parts of specific games.

Caporegime
ZZ isn't playing in the EPL in 2018/19 when pace really matters (or certainly helps a great deal)

Of course he was a great player, then in the system used at that time. Maybe as a 25 yo he would be great in the EPL today, but that's certainly not gaurenteed. Would George Best be the player he was 60-70 years ago if he played today? No one knows.

Mata was awful at Utd, at No 10 , out wide or trying his hardest as a cm - he was awful all over the pitch and has been for years. He worked very occasionally in specific situations / against certain teams but generally was a complete waste of time . Might well be the nicest guy in football, but on the pitch has been woeful for years.

he has never had a decent run of games

What complete **** - he has been given run of games by most managers in the last 6 years in the No 10 and it just hasn't worked, or as I said worked for partial parts of specific games.

pace matters is a load of rubbish. not for a central attacking midfielder and zidane proved that. don't care what league it is in he done it in the champions league, la liga, world cup, serie A, etc.

his awareness of everything around him as well as his skill and control far outweighed a pacey player playing in the EPL. if pace mattered that much then explain how David Silva, Eriksen, etc do fine and they are likely to be on par with Mata pace wise.

Sure in certain positions it matters more but not for a CAM they can easily make it up with technical ability and reading of the game. Alonso and Modric did well in the premier league before going to spain. They weren't sprinters by any notch.

Soldato
Barca, Everton and City put 9 past you with 0 goals being scored last month. 3 games in a row. Like I said before you don't have any defenders who would walk into another top team. Shaw is hilarious. Why he hasn't been docked wages until he is fit is a mystery. You don't have a single player at the back you can depend on week in and week out. De Gea who has bailed that defence out on so many occasions has been in poor form is why so many are being shipped as compared to before. But you have to see it's the players in front of him that aren't good enough.

Stick Tierney, De Ligt, Koulibaly and Lala (upcoming french RB) in front of De Gea and there is no way they would have shipped 9 in 3 games with no reply even with a poor de gea out of form.

I'd keep Jones, Smalling, Lindelof and Bailly as back up players only. Jones is a poor mans Milner. he is good to have around as he is versatile but ideally you would want Milner.

I agree with Pogba you can't play him as a CDM with Mata in the hole. So Mata should be sold on. However Mata if played in that position would be more than good enough to play there for united. he has never had a decent run of games and when he's played he's been played wide, etc. He should have never moved there it's ruined him. Oscar left Chelsea soon after so he should have stayed and likely still be regarded as a top player in the league. He would struggle to get into city's team but he could likely play for most other teams still for another 2 years.

You have a really odd way of looking at the game. You say the defence is **** yet then say its cos De Gea has been in poor form that we have shipped so many goals, you are full of contradictions and seem to feel you know more about Man Utd than the fans who watch them week in week out so there isn’t really much debate to be had here. If De Gea makes specific individual errors it really doesn’t matter if he has Bobby Moore , Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini in front of him as individual errors are just that. Even comparing Jones and Milner is just odd.

Soldato
Its blatant Utd want to play with pace and power, so having anyone in the forward line not that fast on the break wouldn't make much tactical sense

Modric was never a no 10 so he wouldn't generally have to get as far forward either so completely different - completely ludicrous comparison, and while Silva might have played further forward he hasn't done that role for 5 years +

Caporegime
You have a really odd way of looking at the game. You say the defence is **** yet then say its cos De Gea has been in poor form that we have shipped so many goals, you are full of contradictions and seem to feel you know more about Man Utd than the fans who watch them week in week out so there isn’t really much debate to be had here. If De Gea makes specific individual errors it really doesn’t matter if he has Bobby Moore , Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini in front of him as individual errors are just that. Even comparing Jones and Milner is just odd.

i mean as in they did well before in defence only because de gea played well and bailed them out.

now he isn't bailing out the defence it's leaking goals.

that isn't a contradiction at all. the keeper is decent. defence is crap. when keeper has a crap game. the team get thrashed because he was the one holding on.

Man of Honour
Man Utd are close to signing Daniel James from Swansea for £15m.

Seen a bit of him and that excellent solo goal he scored, a good buy hopefully. More in line with the sort of player we should be looking at.

Man of Honour
How insane is it that if Coutinho plays 26 games for Barcelona next season, Barca have to pay Liverpool £17m as part of the sale was a clause if he plays 100 games for them. Lol...absolutely reamed them with that sale, if he stays and plays, 17m to Liverpool for nothing.

Soldato

Seen a bit of him and that excellent solo goal he scored, a good buy hopefully. More in line with the sort of player we should be looking at.

I think you need to be aiming higher personally. 15 mil is peanuts though to be fair

Man of Honour
I think you need to be aiming higher personally. 15 mil is peanuts though to be fair

Yes, there are more promising young players around all over the place, but he's worth a punt for the money. Looks absolutely rapid.

These highly rated young players at bigger clubs are all going to be crazy money.

Don
How insane is it that if Coutinho plays 26 games for Barcelona next season, Barca have to pay Liverpool £17m as part of the sale was a clause if he plays 100 games for them. Lol...absolutely reamed them with that sale, if he stays and plays, 17m to Liverpool for nothing.
If I'm not mistaken that £17m odd (it's 20m euros) is actually broken down to just over £4m (5m euros) per 25 games so they've already paid us half of that and after his next appearance another £4m(ish) is due. It was reported at the time that just qualifying for the CL in his first two seasons triggered another 5m euro payment (not sure if that's per season or total) and it's been reported in the last day or 2 that making the quarter final was another clause paying us another 5m euros.

Man of Honour
If I'm not mistaken that £17m odd (it's 20m euros) is actually broken down to just over £4m (5m euros) per 25 games so they've already paid us half of that and after his next appearance another £4m(ish) is due. It was reported at the time that just qualifying for the CL in his first two seasons triggered another 5m euro payment (not sure if that's per season or total) and it's been reported in the last day or 2 that making the quarter final was another clause paying us another 5m euros.

No idea, I was going on it based off this article in Marca

https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2019/05/10/5cd34dda268e3ecb798b4642.html

Soldato
Im loving Bale sitting on his contract and refusing to move on.

If Real Madrid are going to lure players away with massive contracts, they have to be prepared to pay them.

Bale has been treated shamefully by RM and he should stitch them up as much as possible.

Don
It looks like Marca quoted the Guardian and still got it wrong.
Barcelona have put together a package worth a basic fee of £106m, plus a further £36m in variables, of which £26m should be easily met. After the £105m basic, an additional £17m would be payable for the first 100 games Coutinho plays for Barcelona, £4.4m per 25 games. A further £4.4m would be paid for Champions League qualification in the first two seasons with a £4.4m bonus for winning the competition.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-coutinho-join-barcelona-142m-deal-liverpool

The 5m euro payment for reaching the quarter finals was reported in the Echo yesterday.

Associate
Window is opening in 10 days time and as an Arsenal fan, I am rather perturbed to see many outlets reporting that Barça are highly interested in our newly crowned player of the season, Alex Lacazette.

What with losing Ramsey too, losing both in one window, and they wouldn’t be sufficiently replaced imo, would be devastating.

I think it will be another long summer Rob. With or without Champions League football, we know the club won't do competitive business and we will see the usual mixture of players who may or may not work out, without any major investment. Given that we already have three experienced players departing, what money is available will have to stretch even further. We will have to hope that Edu/Emery can do some clever business in free agency, of which there will be opportunities.

Defence needs to be the priority, but the supply line to Aubameyang and Lacazette isn't consistent enough either. I think it's time we looked to move on from Ozil and remove some of the negativity surrounding him, and I wouldn't be averse to Mkhitaryan departing either. We haven't seen any real level of performance from him and it's not enough for a player of his reputation.

This summer, more killer less filler - and put faith in some of the talented youngsters to round out the squad. The names we have been linked to so far are uninspiring though.

Soldato

Yeah I don’t know much about him, but I hope he’s a good, astute buy :)

Back
Top Bottom