Summer Transfer Thread 24/25

fap fap fap
I thought Ugarte is a CDM but having watched a bit of analysis on him, he's more like a Casemiro with legs, but not as good in the air, which is a shame because we're already very poor in the air. Much needed legs though, although not afraid to slide in and be aggressive, which is fine as long as he doesn't get sent off all the time.

Those are the figures for the 21/22 season and 22/23 seasons, yes. You have to remember that headline profit/loss figures don't mean a huge amount when it comes to PSR as there's lots of allowable deductions. Below is SwissRamble's estimates for Chelsea's 3 year PSR cycle to the end of the 22/23 season. Chelsea's accounts for last season won't be out for another 7-8 months so we won't know if (and therefore how) they met PSR for the 3 year cycle to the end of the 23/24 season however SwissRamble estimates that Chelsea will have had to breakeven last season. He does mention that doing that would be a big challenge but as I wrote above, there are talks that Chelsea have sold their women's team to themselves that might help with that and who knows what other tricks they may have played.
cb70568a-7501-49b3-845f-a1782f273cb8_2166x1408.jpg
Why are clubs allowed to sell to themselves?

Also, should this be another thread?

Bobby Clark has completed his move to Salzburg. It's reported that along with a sell-on clause we also have a matching rights clause which provides us with some protection in the event that he kicks on.

I know some fans aren't too happy about this and the potential for other similar deals but in a cold calculating way, it does make sense. Very few promising youngsters make it, certainly at the biggest clubs. While the odd one may go on to bigger and better things, the reality is for most of them won't and their value will never be higher than it is now and it makes sense to cash in now.
If that is correct they are flying very close to the sun already. With 2020/21 out of the way for the accounting in the 3 years, they are going to need to make a profit of £36mil to keep it under the limit.
SwissRamble has assumed similar allowable losses to previous years, meaning give or take they need to breakeven.
Why are clubs allowed to sell to themselves?

Also, should this be another thread?
Technically they're not selling to themselves, it will be another company owned by the same owners.

And it's related to Chelsea's transfer business so it's fine for now.

Bobby Clark has completed his move to Salzburg. It's reported that along with a sell-on clause we also have a matching rights clause which provides us with some protection in the event that he kicks on.

I know some fans aren't too happy about this and the potential for other similar deals but in a cold calculating way, it does make sense. Very few promising youngsters make it, certainly at the biggest clubs. While the odd one may go on to bigger and better things, the reality is for most of them won't and their value will never be higher than it is now and it makes sense to cash in now.
I guess I can be ok with the Clark one but please, lets not do the same with Danns, I truly think that Danns can offer us something right now in the present off the bench. Not saying that we are planning to do anything with Danns but if theres one nipper I'd really like to see us keep hold of, give a little more play time to and offer them a potential path to the first team, its Danns.

I guess I can be ok with the Clark one but please, lets not do the same with Danns, I truly think that Danns can offer us something right now in the present off the bench. Not saying that we are planning to do anything with Danns but if theres one nipper I'd really like to see us keep hold of, give a little more play time to and offer them a potential path to the first team, its Danns.
I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon as he's injured but I don't see Danns having any chance of ultimately making it with us. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it with him. He done well when he got his chance but I didn't see any star quality there. As I said the other day, I think we can sometimes fall into the trap of getting carried away with young players and forget just how big the step-up is to the first team, particularly for a club like Liverpool and for forwards I think it's even bigger. I see Danns level similar to that of Clark (probably not as high as Clark if I'm being honest) - the potential to become a decent player that will have a very good career. The difference between them is I think you can have the odd 'decent' midfielder among your 8-9 midfielders which is why I felt Clark might have had a future with us but I don't think 'decent' is enough when you probably only have 4-5 forwards.

I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon as he's injured but I don't see Danns having any chance of ultimately making it with us. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it with him. He done well when he got his chance but I didn't see any star quality there. As I said the other day, I think we can sometimes fall into the trap of getting carried away with young players and forget just how big the step-up is to the first team, particularly for a club like Liverpool and for forwards I think it's even bigger. I see Danns level similar to that of Clark (probably not as high as Clark if I'm being honest) - the potential to become a decent player that will have a very good career. The difference between them is I think you can have the odd 'decent' midfielder among your 8-9 midfielders which is why I felt Clark might have had a future with us but I don't think 'decent' is enough when you probably only have 4-5 forwards.
I see a lot of potential in Danns and I think he offers us something that our other forwards dont in the way he plays. Hopefully I'm right and in a few years time we'll be sat here talking about how lucky it is that we didnt send him away thinking he wasnt good enough :)

I see a lot of potential in Danns and I think he offers us something that our other forwards dont in the way he plays. Hopefully I'm right and in a few years time we'll be sat here talking about how lucky it is that we didnt send him away thinking he wasnt good enough :)
Nothing would make me happier. The one standout thing with Danns is his attitude - I suspect it's that more than his ability that's got him so far but it makes you want him to achieve bigger things too.

Sepp van den Berg is off to Brentford for £25m. I can't say I've followed his loan spells with a great deal of interest but he's never struck me as a £20m+ player. In fact I honestly believed our supposed £20m+ asking price for him was nothing more than brinksmanship and he'd either be sold for a lot less or become another Nat Phillips, being loaned out every season because nobody will pay anything meaningful.

So that's circa £70m once you factor in the sell-on clause for Solanke. That's a lot of wedge for us to spend........:o

It's pretty mad and shows the strength of the PL when a player is choosing Brentford over Leverkusen too.

Sepp van den Berg is off to Brentford for £25m. I can't say I've followed his loan spells with a great deal of interest but he's never struck me as a £20m+ player. In fact I honestly believed our supposed £20m+ asking price for him was nothing more than brinksmanship and he'd either be sold for a lot less or become another Nat Phillips, being loaned out every season because nobody will pay anything meaningful.

So that's circa £70m once you factor in the sell-on clause for Solanke. That's a lot of wedge for us to spend........:o

It's pretty mad and shows the strength of the PL when a player is choosing Brentford over Leverkusen too.

Money talks at the end of the day. Also his brother plays in the championship so may have also swung it

So, United have sold one player today and bought another, neither of them have I heard of before, but apparently both full of potential..
Sold to Legia Warsaw, Maxi Oyedele and we’ve agreed a deal for Sekou Kone, a Player from Mali

Last edited:

Never struck me as a 20m+ either, so happy to cash that in !

Yeah it's nuts. German champions and Europa League (?) finalists losing out on a player to Brentford... and we still pay sod all in wages in comparison to most of the other bottom half sides. TBF Leverkusen are packed with strong centre halves.

I saw his defensive stats were remarkably similar to Ethan Pinnock's, so he could be his long-term replacement.

Carvalho mentioned in an interview after joining that the pitch we put in front of him was the most detailed and comprehensive thing he'd ever seen, so I reckon this type of approach resonates with young players looking to play regularly and improve.

Back
Top Bottom