** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Its all to do with setup and tactics rather then ability though, Iniesta scores a lot more frequently for spain then Barca .. but you wouldn't say he's really playing better.

True that, Gerrard deployed behind the striker, Lampard given free license due to having the likes of Makalele, Mikel, Essien covering for him, even Scholes in his 20 goal season was when he was playing behind RVN, before that I think he generally was around the 10-15 mark

And like you said what these teams have in playing a midfielder with free roam they lack in width/wingers (Chelsea maybe not so much as they have Cashley)

Soldato

fair enough - but;

1) I clearly said "10, 15 or 20 goals a season" on purpose. When was the last player for Utd to score at least 10 from CM....... it must have been quite a while ago

2) Ok maybe Lampard and Gerrard are slowing down a little but before last season they were doing it regularly year in year out

Lampard and Gerrard are also both penalty takers, that makes a big difference.

that is a very good point ok - but they still got plenty of goals from open play every season (until this one just finished)

Soldato
Eh?

These PL titles, 2nd places, CL finals and winners medals dont occur due to the power of positive thinking you know.

Wether we won the PL, CL and every trophy under the sun, the likes of Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson etc are not creative players. Giggs is no longer the player he was due to age. Valencia frustrates more often than not, and Park is more workman like. I think my point is a valid one :p

Soldato
fair enough - but;

1) I clearly said "10, 15 or 20 goals a season" on purpose. When was the last player for Utd to score at least 10 from CM....... it must have been quite a while ago

2) Ok maybe Lampard and Gerrard are slowing down a little but before last season they were doing it regularly year in year out

1- Yeah it's been a while but if you look at it when Scholes was doing it who was in the midfield with him? Beckham on the right, Giggs on the left and Roy Keane besides him all very disciplined players who knew when and where to cover when Scholes made his late runs into the box.

Over the last couple of years we've had the likes of Ronaldo & Nani wide, it's a recipe for disaster having a massively offensive winger and a massively offensive central midfielder all going forward at the same time, that's why since we've had the likes of Ronnie and Nani in the team we've gone for more holding midfielders like what Scholes evolved into and Carrick. Besides which and bringing me onto your other point

2- So other than Lampard and Gerrard who have never been gettable who is this mystery player that we should have in our ranks to have replaced the goals that have been missing from Scholes' game over the last 5/6 years?

Soldato
Wether we won the PL, CL and every trophy under the sun, the likes of Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson etc are not creative players. Giggs is no longer the player he was due to age. Valencia frustrates more often than not, and Park is more workman like. I think my point is a valid one :p

Firstly I'd take exception with saying those players aren't creative, some times the most telling pass in an attacking move is the one played to the person who gets the assist, when Carrick was at his best for us he was generally that player

That aside lets say I agree with you and Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson aren't creative it's hardly been a hindrance to the team has it? Not when we've finished most seasons having scored the most goals in the league :)

EDIT: Can someone tell Purdy he's still on my ignore list so there's no point him quoting my posts :)

Soldato
Firstly I'd take exception with saying those players aren't creative, some times the most telling pass in an attacking move is the one played to the person who gets the assist, when Carrick was at his best for us he was generally that player

That aside lets say I agree with you and Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson aren't creative it's hardly been a hindrance to the team has it? Not when we've finished most seasons having scored the most goals in the league :)

EDIT: Can someone tell Purdy he's still on my ignore list so there's no point him quoting my posts :)

so our goals at home compensated for woeful away performances (for majority of the season anyway) ..... a more dominant AM would surely help those away performances a great deal

Soldato
so our goals at home compensated for woeful away performances (for majority of the season anyway) ..... a more dominant AM would surely help those away performances a great deal

A dominant midfielder would have yes, but considering this discussion was about lacking 10+ goals from midfield it seems you're now changing the argument...

I consider someone like Modric to be a dominant midfielder, he's ran games against top class teams like Arsenal and Chelsea when part of a midfield two yet going back to the original discussion of goal return you're lucky if he hits 5 a season let alone double that

Don
Looks like we've been stirring things up between Utd and Blackburn over the Jones deal by putting in a bigger offer. Good to see after the way Taggart interfered with our bid for Adam in January.

Henderson - £16m, Carroll - £35m, ****ing off Taggart - Priceless :p

Soldato
Ive not seen Jones play (I barely watch any blackburn games though unless its vs us) Is he any good or is it the same situation as Henderson young and bags of potential supposedly?

Ill be watching the U21 game tomorrow to see how they both play though

Soldato

Not a hinderance this season as we won the league, but how long can we go on with an average midfield ?

Man of Honour
I can actually believe the Defour links, given he'll be relatively cheap and Fergie sent him those love letters when he was injured

Never seen him play before though, what is he? Defensive, Offensive or just Fletcher like (i.e. likes to run around)?

Defour is one of the three players I really wanted Liverpool to sign this summer (the others being Kjaer and Honda). I've long rated Defour, he has a terrific range of passing and I actually think he is quite Xabi Alonso like in his play. Like Alonso he doesnt really run around a lot. Good signing imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom