Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Varane would be feasible if Pepe wasn't off to Italy. If Real bring in another CB, which they'll need to, I can see it happening. He's been poor this season and has stagnated for the last couple years.

They also have 2 young CBs who have performed well on loan this season in Llorente and Vallejo so maybe they'll give those a shot.

Also Real have been strongly linked with Theo (who has a relativity cheap release clause) and they'll probably want to covert him ala Ramos*. If Mourinho wants Varane I can easily see this happening, just depends on who Real sign/keep.

*As he also started out as a quick fullback, 6ft, great going forward, etc.

Also Real have been strongly linked with Theo (who has a relativity cheap release clause) and they'll probably want to covert him ala Ramos*. If Mourinho wants Varane I can easily see this happening, just depends on who Real sign/keep.

*As he also started out as a quick fullback, 6ft, great going forward, etc.

also seem to be rated / valued/ etc at approx the same as De Gea

Nothing against Verane, but would prefer to keep De Gea - but if we are forced into it, I dont have a problem accepting Verane (if Utd get a bit of cash too all the better) - at least all the media are now suggesting Rodrigues isnt going to be arriving thats even better news hahaha

but it also seems to be that Verane, Lindelof and Keane are all on the verge of signing for Utd - depending on who /where you read. Personally would like any two of those three and both + Bailly will get plenty of games - but wouldnt be surprised if only one arrives

also seem to be rated / valued/ etc at approx the same as De Gea

Nothing against Verane, but would prefer to keep De Gea - but if we are forced into it, I dont have a problem accepting Verane (if Utd get a bit of cash too all the better) - at least all the media are now suggesting Rodrigues isnt going to be arriving thats even better news hahaha

but it also seems to be that Verane, Lindelof and Keane are all on the verge of signing for Utd - depending on who /where you read. Personally would like any two of those three and both + Bailly will get plenty of games - but wouldnt be surprised if only one arrives

Get rid of Jones bring in Keane and Varane and we'd have a much improved defense, keeping hold of De Gea is the most important part of the window imo.

That's because supporters want everything. They will complain when a club charges too much for tickets but then expect the club to spend beyond it's means to sign a player and if they do pay whatever it takes to sign a player and he doesn't work out, they complain that the club overpaid too.

Everything is easy with hindsight. For every Salah there's another player the club refused to pay 'that extra £2m' that turned out rubbish. We haven't got a bottomless pit of money and if they club paid over what they thought every player they targeted was worth then we'd go bust.

Its not about paying over what you think for "every" player, thats just taking it to extremes. Its about deciding that yes we really want player X and then instead of offering 15m for him when the asking price is 20m, just offer 20m to ensure you get him. Its not really all that different from trying to win something on ebay, if you really really want it then you offer close to what the person wants, not go in low and miss out. Obviously there is a difference between something you really want and something you just wouldnt mind having. IMO, if there is a player that we REALLY want, we should go in hard for them not try and save a couple of million. However, I can see this isnt really a conversation that will get either of us anywhere, I am someone who has not been impressed with our transfer policies for many years whereas you are someone who thinks they are doing fine in the transfer market and I'm incorrect in everything I say, hence its really not worth either of us continuing to discuss it as we are both just wasting our time.

Get rid of Jones bring in Keane and Varane and we'd have a much improved defense, keeping hold of De Gea is the most important part of the window imo.

I've not been that impressed with Varane when I've seen him this season, don't they prefer to play that Natcho (sp?) over him now?

Its not about paying over what you think for "every" player, thats just taking it to extremes. Its about deciding that yes we really want player X and then instead of offering 15m for him when the asking price is 20m, just offer 20m to ensure you get him. Its not really all that different from trying to win something on ebay, if you really really want it then you offer close to what the person wants, not go in low and miss out. Obviously there is a difference between something you really want and something you just wouldnt mind having. IMO, if there is a player that we REALLY want, we should go in hard for them not try and save a couple of million. However, I can see this isnt really a conversation that will get either of us anywhere, I am someone who has not been impressed with our transfer policies for many years whereas you are someone who thinks they are doing fine in the transfer market and I'm incorrect in everything I say, hence its really not worth either of us continuing to discuss it as we are both just wasting our time.

I've not said you're incorrect - as you say, it's a difference of opinion.

I'm sure the club are more flexible with their valuations for players that they particularly want but you have to draw the line somewhere. If you value someone at £10m and the selling club are demanding £40m do you still pay what it takes? Fwiw, I don't think Salah was considered a high priority target at the time.

In regards to salah, it was us who wouldnt pay up then nothing to do with him, its pathetic how are supporters are slagging him off during this story saying he rejected us **** him etc, really is laughable, he did want to come to us then even said it himself but we ****** about in regards to deal

standard Arsenal tactic, make a big bid for someone you know you wont get and then you can claim you tried

Honestly can't remember that happening before. The only odd one would have been the Suarez bid. Just another one of those urban legends about Arsenal by the sounds of it. Not making big bids is the issue.

I don't really rate Salah, that's not to say he's bad, but I don't think he can have much of an impact in the PL. £35-40m just seems far too much.

Don't really know much about Salah to be honest, hopefully we still get a few other players in key areas we need.

Given the current state of the transfer market and the fact we don't need the money at all, if he pushed to leave I'd want as much as possible, obviously, but £75m+ I suppose?

City are paying £35m for a comparative prospect of a goalkeeper.

I don't really rate Salah, that's not to say he's bad, but I don't think he can have much of an impact in the PL. £35-40m just seems far too much.

It's odd that you make statements like the above and then when your own transfers are being discussed it's the current state of the transfer market.

Don't really know much about Salah to be honest, hopefully we still get a few other players in key areas we need.

It's odd that you make statements like the above and then when your own transfers are being discussed it's the current state of the transfer market.

Because in one instance I'm talking about Real Madrid and Manchester United, not Liverpool and Roma. Different things.

I think £40m is a lot for a player I don't think is very good, quite simple no?

Unless Salah has improved a whole lot at Roma I'm surprised Liverpool are after him.
He's had a stonking season by all accounts - 19 goals and 15 assists in 41 games. I can't say I've seen any of those games though.

He's certainly the type of player we need to add to our squad. We played a 4-3-3 most of last season and we done it with only 1 player who's natural position is wide in a front 3. Without Mane we had nobody that could offer us any width or pace - another quick, tricky, goalscoring, wide forward was a must for us this summer. As for the fee, **** knows what people are worth any more. £35m today is £25m of 2 years ago I guess and when you have people like Perisic be touted about for £45m, you're going to struggle to find much better value than £35m for Salah without taking a punt on a prospect.

Griezmann's confirmation that he's staying at AM will have an interesting knock on effect as I thought Costa would replace him there with Chelsea trying to get Lukaku back.
Now Costa's likely to stay as he's frequently said if the club does want to sell him AM is the only place he would go (the China stuff sounded great in the press but never had any substance) so as Lukaku is only likely to go somewhere where he will start most games he may stay at Everton, or Man.U. if Ibrahimovic isn't fit.

Back
Top Bottom