Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

So apparently Mourinho is willing to sell De Gea for £22 million plus Alvaro Morata. Seems odd, I would want to keep De Gea. Romero has been good but he's no Gea.

I'm going to be annoyed if we do that deal. I've seen a lot refer to Morata as the Spanish Welbeck.

Morata is a lot younger (I thought) and still got 20 goals in limited game time according to reports.

I cant see it happening but would have accepted Verane + cash rather than Morata, but we will need two strikers to come in ....probably better off if one is a wide player rather than both preferring the central role.

To be fair though, I think any striker would get goals with that Madrid team behind him.

I think this is the problem with buying strikers from RM. They score so many goals and **** on so many teams in the spanish league that an average player can bag a lot of goals if they are given enough game time.

I think this is the problem with buying strikers from RM. They score so many goals and **** on so many teams in the spanish league that an average player can bag a lot of goals if they are given enough game time.

Think Welbeck would still miss more than most :)

Remember its not creating the chances that Utd had a problem with, it was converting them - which from the looks of things Morata would be pretty good at

Im not disputing that, but get in a proper DM, move Herrera across to the 2nd cm position and put Pogba back into No 10 where JM tried him initially (or as part of a 3 in cm) and the whole team will be better - and produce more chances again

Well if arsenal fans wanted a squad overhaul guess your out of luck Wenger confirmed would be 3 players only if that
And tbh you may think we Arsenal fans are disappointed but honestly I don't think any of us are or would be.

It's the same every year with Arsenal ie too many dead wood players that Wenger won't get rid of. Prime example was Diaby, how long was he on our books and hardly played because he was always injured.

Betting suspended on Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool......is he worth that much money.....

Happy to pay whatever asked for Van Dijk. Its like Monopoly, when you have Park Lane, you're willing to pay above the norm for Mayfair because you need it. We NEED someone in defence of his quality and proven in British football.

If he performs how expected, he's arguably worth it given how we've seen Luiz/Stones move for mega money, plus huge figures being talked about for other top tier defender targets.

You also have to factor in that signing him deprives your rivals of him. So say he chooses Liverpool over Citeh... the alternative for Liverpool is to buy someone who's cheaper but then have Citeh strengthened by VVD, meaning you might not have closed the gap to them.

He's also, what, 25? Young for a central defender, if he doesnt move on he could form half of a defensive partnership for many years. I know that they say that stopping goals doesnt win you a match but hopefully someone like him in defence will stop us dropping points so often.

Also realistically how many top CBs are there out there that are likely to move? He's probably one of very few playing at a club below his level.

Our biggest weakness in defence has been defending crosses so even without his ability to read the game and ability on the ball his height would be invaluable.

Given we got Matip on a free I'm happy paying the money that's being suggested on VVD to have two top quality CBs that compliment each other and address our weaknesses.

VVD is a great CB but more importantly, he's the perfect CB for how Liverpool play and what we need. There was never any point in Liverpool signing a John Terry type CB, who's at his best when he's defending his 18 yard box, making blocks and heading things away. Liverpool need somebody that's going to bring the ball out of the back and be an extra midfielder when teams sit deep but when teams break on us, has the pace and ability to defend in one on one situations. VVD puts a massive tick in both those boxes, the fact that he's also very good in the air is a huge positive too as when either Lovren or Matip have been missing we've been found wanting defending long balls and crosses too.

The price is crazy and normally I'm not one for paying what it takes to get somebody but for him I'll make an exception because he's such a perfect fit for what we need - I can't think of another established CB we could sign that fits the bill quite like VVD.

Back
Top Bottom