Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Caporegime
92 million's getting up to the kind of money being talked about for Bale.

I would also be surprised if all of Monaco's players were as good as they appeared to be last season. Take out the star player, in their case Mbappe, and I don't think any of them would look as good.

Caporegime
Would you really want a player who is staying for the money? He's unlikely to be paid any more than £180,000 at Chelsea, probably less. He's leaving Arsenal for football reasons. Chelsea are a bit weak in terms of wide players so he'll get game time and he'll be going to a team who will always compete in the league and CL. I understand you're ****** at him but he's left for a better team, as hard as that is to hear.
I'm hardly ****** off with him wanting to leave, I'd have gladly got rid of him last season.

He's not someone that I think is a game changer at all.

So if he wants to go due to footballing reasons then fair enough and I have no issue with him leaving. He's never really impressed me since he joined us.

Don
OP
Prior to Solanke joining I'd say we needed Origi. Now? Not so much. If anything I'd say he's behind him now.

Yea, Solanke has shown enough to push himself ahead of Origi in the pecking order. In an ideal world you'd keep him as 4th choice and move Ings on but Origi's not going to be happy with that and you can't blame him. Playing only 1 striker, Origi's going to find game time more than limited - you only have to see that he's not even made the last 2 squads.

At £90m Lemar is very very expensive and unless we get a massive valuation for Origi I can't see us doing a deal at those levels but a striker out and another wide player in makes a lot of sense for us.

Caporegime
The whole thing seems weird. A few journalists and papers are reporting we want the Ox or Lemar before the transfer window shuts which suggests one's a backup to the other. That makes sense until you think about Klopp wanting his first choice targets or no one else.

Soldato
Is Joyce usual accurate? If we're offering origi to Monaco we must have got some encouragement from them to pursue this, however I'd of suspected they would just want cash

Soldato
The whole thing seems weird. A few journalists and papers are reporting we want the Ox or Lemar before the transfer window shuts which suggests one's a backup to the other. That makes sense until you think about Klopp wanting his first choice targets or no one else.
We need depth though, he may be happy with either but just like anything rate one higher than the other, there is also a massive difference in the price

Don
OP

I think this is something that got lost in translation. Klopp was asked whether Liverpool would sign players he doesn't want - Klopp's answer was of course they won't sign players he doesn't want and that any player we sign will be plan A. I watched the press-conference where this was said and I'm certain when he said plan A, he wasn't referring to specific players but specific type of players - he wouldn't sign a midfielder for the sake of buying a midfielder, it had to be a particular type of player.
Is Joyce usual accurate? If we're offering origi to Monaco we must have got some encouragement from them to pursue this, however I'd of suspected they would just want cash

Joyce covers Liverpool & Everton for the Times - I wouldn't say he gets any more info than anybody else but his info is coming from Liverpool. And to be clear, I'm not sure Joyce was saying we've offered that but simply saying that if a deal was to happen that's the only way he could see it happening. In other words, in his opinion, it was unlikely that we'd pay that sort of fee straight off and it would need to involve some sort of swap deal.

Caporegime
Really couldn't care less about Ox. He's extremely overrated imo. A bang average footballer. I'm not bothered but I would be delighted if we were going to reinvest the £35m in the team, but I can't see that happening. The club will pocket the cash. If we buy no one else, we will actually have a net profit this summer. Catalyst for change my arse.

Soldato
A leaked photo of an email for spire fitness says Liverpool has booked in three medicals tomorrow? Super fake but a good photo shop, as no one would give info like that out in an email

Don
OP
Likely to be fake? I might have to ban you in a minute Mark. A doctor is not going to reply to an email to a random kid on twitter confirming Liverpool have got 3 medicals booked! :D

Soldato
92 million's getting up to the kind of money being talked about for Bale.

I would also be surprised if all of Monaco's players were as good as they appeared to be last season. Take out the star player, in their case Mbappe, and I don't think any of them would look as good.

Given his injuries recently is bale worth that kind of money ? Esp given he is now 28 and while he has (a lot ) of skill its also based on pace which may well disappear well within the 1st contract if he moves this summer

Don't get me wrong , its a risk either way - but Lemar is early 20's and proved he can be consistent (even if its at a lower level than the EPL) for the same money - and remember it would be on a lot less wages, maybe £100k/week less potentially maybe more? so the club could save £20-30m over the 1st contract on wages

I would take Lemar every day of the week - Utd need that kind of crossing ability which we severely lack at the moment - with Saleh and Mane I'm not sure Liverpool need that option sitting on the bench.....(same could be said for Rashford/ Martial of course, or mata on the other side)

Just out of interest is Dembele (Dortmund / Barca) any different? Without debating the difference between the german and French leagues both players were roughly responsible for the same amount of goals / assists from what I remember (30 vs 34 all told according to fc tables)

Soldato
Depay has more assists in Ligue 1 in 2017 than Lemar apparently. Just saying.
well fair enough - although that's a little harsh on Lemar given he didn't "miss" the 1st half of last season - ie just showing a little more consistency over the full season rather than just half of it.

Lemar was also good at set plays - something Utd aren't making the most of currently (and really haven't for years)

question for everton fans, would you take diego costa on loan till january then he goes to atletico madrid when the ban is lifted?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-loan-diego-costa-could-13542141

Personally would think this would cause them more problems in the 2nd half of the season, than they benefit from in the 1st.

Would Costa take it seriously enough knowing he is leaving anyway? Cant take the points away already gained, but its hard to judge how many Everton would "lose" pre-Christmas as they are without him and potentially gain after Christmas because of that same work if he never arrived

Its possible they could gain massively in these four months and then transition seamlessly - but how likely is that? I wouldn't have thought it possible myself

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom