Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Soldato
Sakho won't come back in now, I don't think we will ever now what happened in the full extent.

Palace will end up paying the fee we want, they did same with benteke bid below what we wanted and came back quickly

Man of Honour
Should Klopp just consider bringing Sakho back in without a deal for van Dijk

I'm certain that Sakho will sign for Palace in the next 48 hours.

At this moment in time, I dont think having Sakho would make much difference to our defence. IMO, our biggest issue in defence is not necessarily a lack of ability but a lack of leadership. Sakho wouldnt bring any additional leadership qualities, what we need in defence is leadership and command, a defensive captain sort. Like a Terry or a Carragher or an Adams. I dont feel that Sakho provides that but VvD does.

Man of Honour
So Arsenal are losing Sanchez and the Ox and more than likely not getting anyone in...

The Ox will never be a great player but he can probably do a half decent job for Klopp, 40 odd million though is a bit steep.

I suppose with them both sold Arsenal would be in a position to throw £100m at a world class player if they wanted, but will they?

Man of Honour
So Arsenal are losing Sanchez and the Ox and more than likely not getting anyone in...

The Ox will never be a great player but he can probably do a half decent job for Klopp, 40 odd million though is a bit steep.

I suppose with them both sold Arsenal would be in a position to throw £100m odd at a world class player if they wanted, but will they?

And more to the point, would that world class player want to go there. Theres a lot of negativity surrounding Arsenal at the moment, it could be argued that they arent a draw for a world class player currently.

Caporegime

I suppose with them both sold Arsenal would be in a position to throw £100m at a world class player if they wanted, but will they?
No they won't throw 100mill at any player, that 100mill will go towards lining Kroenke's pocket ;).
Arsenal are not a team that will spend 100mill on a player even if Messi was available.

Soldato

lol they wont

Permabanned
Where the hell does "The Ox" fit in at Liverpool. :confused: Not like he would walk into the team or be guaranteed to start, which I would assume he would want to play as much as possible.

Only hope, IF he signs, is Klopp can improve him somewhat.

Soldato
£40mil for a squad player is a joke. What is the point to the ox as a footballer? What area is going to strengthen apart of the squad numbers? Just gamble it on young staralet imo.
Midfield, has European experience etc could also fill in for mane or salah (I know his quality is no where near as good) versatile.

Granted I think he is over priced but end of day it's not my personal money, klopp will likely improve him imo heck he improved Lallana quick enough

Don
OP
£40mil for a squad player is a joke. What is the point to the ox as a footballer? What area is going to strengthen apart of the squad numbers? Just gamble it on young staralet imo.
Midfield, has European experience etc could also fill in for mane or salah (I know his quality is no where near as good) versatile.

Granted I think he is over priced but end of day it's not my personal money, klopp will likely improve him imo heck he improved Lallana quick enough

Given the way this transfer window has gone and the prices that have been paid or being touted about (£30m for a 29 year old Jonny Evans, £50m for Walker and so on) then £35-40m on Ox (who's just turned 24) isn't that expensive. What makes the deal seem more expensive is his contract situation - typically clubs were forced to accept hugely reduced fees for players going into the last year of their contract but they no longer need the money so they won't any more.

Ox clearly has ability but he's somebody that's never found a position that makes use of the attributes he has. Klopp's not going to make him technically a better player but what Klopp's great at doing is tactically improving players and getting the best out of them through changes of system and positions. Lallana in the front 3 was ok - he done you a job, he never let you down and you never walked away thinking he played poorly but he wasn't influencing games enough, scoring or creating goals. A change of system and a move back into more of a midfield role and he suddenly looks 3 times the player - the game was being played ahead of him rather than behind him and he came into his own making late runs and breaking into the box.

I said this at the back end of last season, even when I didn't believe we were in for him, I honestly believe he'll be a much better player playing in a midfield role for us than anything we've seen from him before.

edit: And as I post that twitter's erupted with reports that a deal is done. First Ox's agent tweeted that the deal was done then quickly deleted it, now Liverpool based journos are reported a £35m fee has been agreed.

Now lets see what's happening with Lemar. If we're still in for him then Coutinho must be off.

Man of Honour
I agree with Baz up there..I think theres a possibility that people could be surprised by Ox in a year or two. Ox when he was young was an extremely exciting prospect (almost a 1 in 4 goal ratio for England, 2nd youngest to play for England, Young Player of the Year nominee etc), theres definitely ability there, its just that (as often happens with young players) somewhere along the way he seemed to lose it. One of Klopps greatest skills is in getting the most out of players , if anyone can make something of Ox , its him.

Back
Top Bottom