Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Soldato
After a prolonged illness, I've started to get back into training.

Need to up my protein intake to assist with recovery, so purchased some Pea Protein from My Protein (lactose intolerant).

Even in the shaker flasks, the texture is extremely coarse. Not like whey protein which would be nice and smooth after a couple of shakes.

I'll keep drinking it as ultimately, I consume it for recovery not to taste nice but wondering if anybody has had any experience with using non dairy based protein powder that they could recommend?

Man of Honour
After a prolonged illness, I've started to get back into training.

Need to up my protein intake to assist with recovery, so purchased some Pea Protein from My Protein (lactose intolerant).

Even in the shaker flasks, the texture is extremely coarse. Not like whey protein which would be nice and smooth after a couple of shakes.

I'll keep drinking it as ultimately, I consume it for recovery not to taste nice but wondering if anybody has had any experience with using non dairy based protein powder that they could recommend?

Soy protein is "closer" to whey but doesn't come in as many flavoured options.

Rice protein is the easiest for me to neck because - whilst it has the most odd texture going (a bit like sand) and strangest taste - it doesn't go thick at all.

I was given a tub of beef isolate and it tasted like strong squash... no idea about gains however. And it was very expensive.

I haven't tried hemp.

Soldato
Attacked it with an electric hand blender and texture is better. Not whey protein smooth but better than shaking it within the flask!

Think I'll stick with it but experiment with adding banana and peanut butter.

Quite nice actually being able to have a protein shake without any of the horrible lactose consequences of whey.

Was able to to consume lactose products like whey protein throughout my twenties. Got into my early thirties and my body just cannot digest it anymore. :(

Soldato
I tried dropping all supplements about 6 months ago - BCAAs, protein shakes (dropped these about 12 months ago) and Creatine, and haven't noticed any differences at all in or out the gym. Gains continue at the same steady rate and honestly nothing has changed other than having a bit more spending cash than before. I guess protein shakes make sense if your diet isn't on point and creatine can help you look bigger (tbh, if I go back to anything it will be this for the fake gains :) ), but it all seems like a waste of money now.

Man of Honour
Isn't that just fillet steak?

Weirdly, no. :(

I should have bookended my last comment with "just eat steak" and left it there...

I tried dropping all supplements about 6 months ago - BCAAs, protein shakes (dropped these about 12 months ago) and Creatine, and haven't noticed any differences at all in or out the gym. Gains continue at the same steady rate and honestly nothing has changed other than having a bit more spending cash than before.

Practically, for most people, none of those make much difference anyway if diet is right.

Creatine is the only one that would make a REAL difference, but it all depends on what you do and how you do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Yeah the only thing I buy consistently is creatine, Omega 3 oil (either Nordic Oil or Carlson Labs, both lemon flavoured <3) because I don't eat enough oil fish and high strength vitamin D3 because what is the sun in this part of the world.

Wise Guy
Soldato
I tried dropping all supplements about 6 months ago - BCAAs, protein shakes (dropped these about 12 months ago) and Creatine, and haven't noticed any differences at all in or out the gym. Gains continue at the same steady rate and honestly nothing has changed other than having a bit more spending cash than before. I guess protein shakes make sense if your diet isn't on point and creatine can help you look bigger (tbh, if I go back to anything it will be this for the fake gains :) ), but it all seems like a waste of money now.

I don't notice any difference either. I think they're only worth it if you're trying to preserve muscle while losing weight, or you're doing a lot of endurance exercise.

I still take whey powder but for brain energy though. Whey powder, large tablespoon of resistant starch, eleuthero extract, l-theanine and a black coffee for breakfast and I'm good until around 4pm, even if I workout. I tried adding MCT powder but didn't notice much difference.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Anyone answer me this...

I recently bought some ON Serious Mass to try as It was on special offer so I thought I would see if it did anything. However now after trying it twice, i get the same effect 3-4 hours after consuming it. I suddenly get the shakes/low blood sugar feeling and start sweating and getting dizziness etc. I then have to consume something sugary to help relieve this.

I dont often get the shakes and have never had them as bad as this, so I was wondering if it was caused by Reactive Hypoglycemia "Low blood glucose due to an over-reactive attempt of the body to control increasing blood sugar levels (due to a refined carbohydrate/high glycemic diet)" Too many Carbs for my body to process in one go? (250g per serving)

My diet is usually low in carbs and high in protein with a healthy balance of fats from your typical (eggs,fish,nuts,olives,dairy). I dont have Diabetes as far as I know, it never showed up on a blood test done about 4 years ago.

According to their website you're eating 250g of maltodextrin per serving which is technically a "complex carb" because it's a glucose polymer, but it breaks down to glucose in stomach acid almost instantly so is actually very high glycemic, it spikes blood sugar faster than table sugar.

It's like drinking 4 lucozades at once.

Last edited:
Soldato
Creatine = yes
Protein powder = yes, not just whey either, casein and milk protein concentrate (which is 80/20 whey/casien)
Caffeine = yes, although it's easy to become a coffee monster, get a high tolerance and not get much of a stimulatory effect from it (although there are other reasons to take it)
Collagen = maybe if you have osteoarthritis or rheumatism?
Probiotics = some of the research is promising, but more needed outside of clinical circumstances

Would replace the last two with
Vitamin D3 = fact that most people in the Northern hemisphere don't get enough sunlight and it's not something you can really get via food at a sufficient level. Safer than a sun bed too.
Circumin (+ Piperine to enable absorption) = some promising research
Omega 3's = most people get sufficient Omega 6 and 9 in their diet, depends if you eat much oily fish etc.

Soldato
I have realised that my calcium intake has been lacking over last few years as I've been going off eating dairy more and more. Looking at my diet I probably haven't been getting much of it elsewhere, something worth investing in as a supplement?

Soldato
I have realised that my calcium intake has been lacking over last few years as I've been going off eating dairy more and more. Looking at my diet I probably haven't been getting much of it elsewhere, something worth investing in as a supplement?

Possibly. The daily recommended intake of calcium is about 1000mg (a single serving of dairy is something like 300mg) so if you're way below that having something like calcium citrate would be a good idea, spread out over 2-3 doses.

Soldato
Unless I forgot how to Google though I can't for the life of me find calcium content in MP Whey, unless it's all filtered out during the processing there must be some calcium in there?

Soldato
Cheers, my Google skills clearly let me down. That's actually not bad so can't be that low, my stomach can get a little funny nowadays with milk and I occasionally eat some Skyr yoghurt and don't keep cheese in the house because I would eat the whole damn block at once :eek:

Soldato
So I tried creatine mono again but this time in capsule format and I still get the same side effects I did when I tried creatine like over a year back. Sometimes I'm really really sleepy the whole day if I take them in the morning and other days its sleepiness but with also terrible headaches. I'm consuming a lot of water too. Pretty sure its creatine as when I stop using it I go back to normal within a day. I stuck with it for a week thinking it would calm down but no.

Back
Top Bottom