Surviving Mars

Soldato
Not heard about this game (and couldn't find a thread about it here either) until yesterday when CohhCarnage mentioned it on his stream that he was going to play it today, after having been given a copy from GOG. In any case, it looks interesting, like a Civilization/Sim City game in Space.

So, was wondering if anyone else heard about it and maybe if it is worth to preorder or not ?? Due to be out on the 15th of March.

Here is a couple short Announcement Trailers from Paradox Interactive's:

Some useful tips from panos but in spoiler incase anyone prefer to learn the hard way. :p

a) Yes. Had to rely on the switches heavily. Also got a lot of tricks trying to combat my failures....
Things I learned the hard way, and are not covered by any youtuber, who plays on "easy" or "normal" difficulty....

Switches are paramount.
Create a simple network on pipes and power lines. Not a straight line from point to point, but having more than one route to the dome & tanks.
Split the production of water into unconnected segments. And each one connects to the dome. Same applies to Oxygen.
If something fails, only that small segment is affected, not whole network. The dome can work as the interconnecting hub moving the stuff around.

Air & Water pipes can go through buildings. That way you have just a small tiny segment of 1 pylon connecting 2 production/storage buildings. No need to go long lines over the power lines.
(same applies to the dome). Is waste of metal and prone to damage if something big hits he area.

Fuel production separate loop away from water loop. Can be placed anywhere. Better still get moistorizers to supply the fuel production, and when you get the upgrade adding 50% on the water production, build a tank.
That way if dust storm hits, the fuel production won't consume from reserves, but from any saved water.

Wind farms are waste of resources. Yes constant power but is only needed when you have colonists living. By that time there are other methods to maintain cheap power.
Solar power is working 2/3 of the day covering fully the two shiifts, so set accordingly even the unmanned units, works better.

On that also the trick to conserve power. If you have two farms, make one producing morning, the other at night.
Same applies when you build the machine part factory. Since you ain't going to fill up two shifts, more likely not even the first, turn the other off.

Flying drone network is for the lazy who want to burn resources at the start, when these are scarce. Two trucks are better, and allow you to move stuff around. When idling gather resources off the map.

Before you send off your rocket the first time from Mars back to Earth, make sure that you have allocated to the RC the maximum amount of drones, even those belonging to the rocket.
And protect those left behind by the rocket. they will be needed.

If you get the Fungal farm, build it. It doesn't take space in the dome, is built outside. That way you will have enough space for 2 apartments, 1 factory, on a third triangle groser, 2-3 parks and the restaurant (forgot it's name). That will leave you space to place an Electronics factory in the first dome also, or third apartment. Especially if you are in a good spot with 2 rare minerals, and 2 metal mines, 3 apartments are must, and go for the medical spire.
Original post here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I am following the game long time and have already done the big package pre-order.

Imho this forum is more on shooters.... the rest are classed as third world games....

Man of Honour
Doesnt look too bad, Im generally more into games that I can co-op on, or multiplayer at least but looks like it could be decent. Not 34.99 decent for me but I see its £22 on cdkeys which is probably a more realistic price for this title for me.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I am following the game long time and have already done the big package pre-order.

Imho this forum is more on shooters.... the rest are classed as third world games....

Yeah I am thinking of doing a pre order. It sure looks interesting and you do seem to have to do some careful planning to make it all work. We'll see what happens. :cool:

Doesnt look too bad, Im generally more into games that I can co-op on, or multiplayer at least but looks like it could be decent. Not 34.99 decent for me but I see its £22 on cdkeys which is probably a more realistic price for this title for me.

Yup, it looks pretty decent indeed. :)

Soldato
Yeah I am thinking of doing a pre order. It sure looks interesting and you do seem to have to do some careful planning to make it all work. We'll see what happens. :cool:

Yup, it looks pretty decent indeed. :)

To make your mind, Quill18 has released 7 videos. The first five are just tutorial on very easy mode, the later two are from a new series on higher difficulty named "Meteor Mayhem" :p

Soldato
OP
On PDX Twitch today they have a pretty advanced game live atm.
Lets put it that way, the choice atm is, die from the virus or suffocation.....

Tbh I do not expect a bad game from the Tropico 3/4/5 developers.
Thanks, watching it now. And just realized that Paradox Interactive is a Swedish game publisher. :o

Appreciating the heads up though. Pretty sure I be buying it, just got to decide if it be prepurchases or after it out.

:D They just mentioned they seen CohhCarnage playing the game (at 3:35:00 if you missed it and wanna see it), and I was there watching what he was doing so know exactly what they talking about ! :p

Soldato
I was watching Giant Waffle playing this on stream last night and from what I saw it looked really good. My only slight concern is that there didn't seem to be loads to do but I only watched for a little while so couldn't make a fair judgement. Hopefully as more content comes out it will give a better idea of what it has to offer.

Either way will be keeping a close eye as I loved Skylines.

Soldato
OP
I was watching Giant Waffle playing this on stream last night and from what I saw it looked really good. My only slight concern is that there didn't seem to be loads to do but I only watched for a little while so couldn't make a fair judgement. Hopefully as more content comes out it will give a better idea of what it has to offer.

There is different ways to play it from what I seen, all depending on what kind of Mission Sponsor you pick, the Commander and then there is the Mystery "Quests" that will break through as you play. Plus all these three adds to the difficulty of the play. Also, the Technology Tree is always randomized so you never know what you will find there. It wont be like in Civilization where you know exactly what path to go to get what technology. Lastly you have the landing zones, which you can pick one with plenty of resources, or barely none, different threats and how often they will occur.

If you want to learn more about the specifics, search for Quill18 who Panos suggested.

To make your mind, Quill18 has released 7 videos. The first five are just tutorial on very easy mode, the later two are from a new series on higher difficulty named "Meteor Mayhem" :p

Soldato

I believe quill18 tutorial is good to make your mind, where he actually plays the "tutorial".
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vboZyYdbDyOD4lWgx-qJyj

Here you will find his more advance video series, named Meteor Mayhem
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vrc4hl8gmal9C7YIiCngoM

Also see Nikki's, one of the game Producers. She has more than 600 hours on QA testing....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWg68lxH9Wf3nf0bkwpe9YnU

yesterday's playthough at 54:00 if you want to see things that can pop and affect you.
https://youtu.be/rPNMgLgxUzI?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWg68lxH9Wf3nf0bkwpe9YnU&t=3277

Soldato
There is different ways to play it from what I seen, all depending on what kind of Mission Sponsor you pick, the Commander and then there is the Mystery "Quests" that will break through as you play. Plus all these three adds to the difficulty of the play. Also, the Technology Tree is always randomized so you never know what you will find there. It wont be like in Civilization where you know exactly what path to go to get what technology. Lastly you have the landing zones, which you can pick one with plenty of resources, or barely none, different threats and how often they will occur.

If you want to learn more about the specifics, search for Quill18 who Panos suggested.

I believe quill18 tutorial is good to make your mind, where he actually plays the "tutorial".
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vboZyYdbDyOD4lWgx-qJyj

Here you will find his more advance video series, named Meteor Mayhem
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-vrc4hl8gmal9C7YIiCngoM

Also see Nikki's, one of the game Producers. She has more than 600 hours on QA testing....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWg68lxH9Wf3nf0bkwpe9YnU

yesterday's playthough at 54:00 if you want to see things that can pop and affect you.
https://youtu.be/rPNMgLgxUzI?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWg68lxH9Wf3nf0bkwpe9YnU&t=3277

Thanks for the shed load of information guys, really appreciate it so thank you. Looks like I've got plenty of material to watch over the weekend :D

Soldato
Can't seem to find if 21:9 is supported or not so guess will find that out later. :p

I did find this YouTuber though, that playing the game on a 485% Difficulty. :eek: Just started watching so no clue what troubles he be going to get. Surviving Mars - A playthrough on the hardest difficulty settings. Skye Storme If anyone want to look, at something that might be a total disaster. :p

Regarding the resolution, dropped question for you at the official FB page and at PDX forum.
As soon as I have reply I will let you know :)

As for the difficulty at 485%, I will be surprised if the rovers nuts and bolts will survive, let alone the human colonists.......

Soldato
OP
Regarding the resolution, dropped question for you at the official FB page and at PDX forum.
As soon as I have reply I will let you know :)

As for the difficulty at 485%, I will be surprised if the rovers nuts and bolts will survive, let alone the human colonists.......
Thank you, much appreciated ! :cool:

And yes, just started watching it and he was lucky with his landing zon, loads of resources right form the start so we'll see how things goes, he oploaded 11 videos so far so guess it gone fairly well. :p

Back
Top Bottom