Surviving Mars

Soldato
Having fun with it, more micro managing than I imagined first colony failed because I didn't have enough supplies close to my electric grid to keep them maintained, second colony I've learned my lesson and making sure I have a bit of everything everywhere I've built

Soldato
Having fun with it, more micro managing than I imagined first colony failed because I didn't have enough supplies close to my electric grid to keep them maintained, second colony I've learned my lesson and making sure I have a bit of everything everywhere I've built

First colony had everyone dying of thirst just a day after they arrived.....

On second try, again on 23N 2W map, had, 1 dome, 20 dead (9 suicides), 17 home sick (yeah they run back to earth), and of the remaining 15 in the dome are all mentally broken and depressed, except one!!!
Quill18 and some others, play on very easy even at 450% difficulty.....

Forget dust storms, meteors or even a big meteor who took out half my initial base. Forget even scarce resources.
Ground freezing is the worst, especially on a map with very low water where you cannot run heaters everywhere......
And regardless how many heaters you have, there will always be some corner in the dome that will be freezing :/

And does this every 10-13 Sols for 4-5 Sol duration. Is breaking the spirit of the colonists.....

MASSIVE TIP. Build both power & water SWITCHES. Do not underestimate them.
Each tank should have a switch connected to. Each tunnel connection also.
Every few metres put a switch.

When something breaks, don't wait for drones to fix it. Close the switch and when is fixed open it.

Otherwise you might end up with no air or water in matter of minutes even if you have 10 oxygen and another 10 water tanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Panos Nice tip about the switches, sounds like a good idea ! I was wondering what they were for since not seen anyone using them, even on the Paradox stream as well (so far, just come to part 4 so far).

I have never made a game mod, even if I am software developer.

Decided to make a filter of what colonist proficiencies you want in a building.
That way you won't have to kick a botanist from a mine until a geologist takes his place.

At least I can give it a try :)

Sounds like a good little mod. While you at it, any idea if it is possible to have a colonist with right profession automatically pick their right work place ?? Find it a bit annoying when you have as an example 6 Engineering spots open, and 5 Engineers arriving but 2 of them decide to go and work elsewhere while you have a couple without/wrong profession taking the engineering spot. Then have to micro management so colonists is on the right place. :(

And regardless how many heaters you have, there will always be some corner in the dome that will be freezing :/
The heaters should be able to cover the whole dome, have you adjusted the radius on the heaters so it cover more ?? Would mean it need more energy but your dome should be able to be protected by 2 heaters if a small dome ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This game is definitely best when things go wrong. Had just sent for my first colonists when a huge dust storm set in. Having just finished a meteor shower then struck. Certainly gave me a headache for a while.

Soldato
OP
This game is definitely best when things go wrong. Had just sent for my first colonists when a huge dust storm set in. Having just finished a meteor shower then struck. Certainly gave me a headache for a while.
I had that last evening as well, but I lucked out since the meteor shower struck a couple tiles away from my dome's. It did discover some resources for me though. :p

And I finished the research tree, all discovered part from the Breakthrough ones. Last one was the Space Elevator and got that from an anomaly. But at 20,000 research points needed that gonna take ages to make, unless I can get more research houses up.

Soldato
@Panos Nice tip about the switches, sounds like a good idea ! I was wondering what they were for since not seen anyone using them, even on the Paradox stream as well (so far, just come to part 4 so far).

Sounds like a good little mod. While you at it, any idea if it is possible to have a colonist with right profession automatically pick their right work place ?? Find it a bit annoying when you have as an example 6 Engineering spots open, and 5 Engineers arriving but 2 of them decide to go and work elsewhere while you have a couple without/wrong profession taking the engineering spot. Then have to micro management so colonists is on the right place. :(

The heaters should be able to cover the whole dome, have you adjusted the radius on the heaters so it cover more ?? Would mean it need more energy but your dome should be able to be protected by 2 heaters if a small dome ?

a) Yes. Had to rely on the switches heavily. Also got a lot of tricks trying to combat my failures....
Things I learned the hard way, and are not covered by any youtuber, who plays on "easy" or "normal" difficulty....

Switches are paramount.
Create a simple network on pipes and power lines. Not a straight line from point to point, but having more than one route to the dome & tanks.
Split the production of water into unconnected segments. And each one connects to the dome. Same applies to Oxygen.
If something fails, only that small segment is affected, not whole network. The dome can work as the interconnecting hub moving the stuff around.

Air & Water pipes can go through buildings. That way you have just a small tiny segment of 1 pylon connecting 2 production/storage buildings. No need to go long lines over the power lines.
(same applies to the dome). Is waste of metal and prone to damage if something big hits he area.

Fuel production separate loop away from water loop. Can be placed anywhere. Better still get moistorizers to supply the fuel production, and when you get the upgrade adding 50% on the water production, build a tank.
That way if dust storm hits, the fuel production won't consume from reserves, but from any saved water.

Wind farms are waste of resources. Yes constant power but is only needed when you have colonists living. By that time there are other methods to maintain cheap power.
Solar power is working 2/3 of the day covering fully the two shiifts, so set accordingly even the unmanned units, works better.

On that also the trick to conserve power. If you have two farms, make one producing morning, the other at night.
Same applies when you build the machine part factory. Since you ain't going to fill up two shifts, more likely not even the first, turn the other off.

Flying drone network is for the lazy who want to burn resources at the start, when these are scarce. Two trucks are better, and allow you to move stuff around. When idling gather resources off the map.

Before you send off your rocket the first time from Mars back to Earth, make sure that you have allocated to the RC the maximum amount of drones, even those belonging to the rocket.
And protect those left behind by the rocket. they will be needed.

If you get the Fungal farm, build it. It doesn't take space in the dome, is built outside. That way you will have enough space for 2 apartments, 1 factory, on a third triangle groser, 2-3 parks and the restaurant (forgot it's name). That will leave you space to place an Electronics factory in the first dome also, or third apartment. Especially if you are in a good spot with 2 rare minerals, and 2 metal mines, 3 apartments are must, and go for the medical spire.

b) I was looking at the mod, I need quite a bit of Lua coding. I will do it though but it will take bit time to learn :) Is not just another building or a crop or a sponsor. Needs more work.

c) Yeah heaters have sliders!!!! Just saw it after you said so. Thank you :D

Soldato
Very interesting ideas Panos.

What difficulty do you normally start on? I find the Paradox one a lot of fun, especially if you pick futurist instead of Rocket scientist. Having one rocket for a while really makes you think about what you need to send back, and having no cash means you need to heavily prioritise the right things at the right time or you can run out.

The biggest gripe is getting the right resources at the start. You really need to start near some water, metals and concrete. Concrete seems to be in reasonably supply but I find the other two can be hit and miss. Early game can't afford to run really long cables either.

This is my current game. I have a rocket en-route with 20 polymers and 15 electronics (Just in time as well my machine parts factory is about to require 2 more electronics to maintain) and a transport, my next dome will be built on the other side of the tunnel at the bottom as there is a rare metals deposit there. I'll need to sell the rare metals to buy electronics for a little while.

https://i.imgur.com/sn4DxoI.jpg

My first dome is 3 living quarters, one farm (soybeans/potato rotation after 100% soil condition), grocer, infirmary, diner, and a machine parts factory. I have enough people to fully staff everything with night shifts turned off including the metals extractor in the bottom right.

I'm doing OK on machine parts and metals so may spin up some more solar power and wind turbines even it ups the maintenance a bit. Cold snaps up the power requirements a fair but and I can't afford to get a crazy number of batteries.

I have a subsurface water heater in the range of two water tanks, I think that is the most important thing to keep warm during a cold snap.

Soldato
OP
a) Yes. Had to rely on the switches heavily. Also got a lot of tricks trying to combat my failures....
Things I learned the hard way, and are not covered by any youtuber, who plays on "easy" or "normal" difficulty....

Switches are paramount.
Create a simple network on pipes and power lines. Not a straight line from point to point, but having more than one route to the dome & tanks.
Split the production of water into unconnected segments. And each one connects to the dome. Same applies to Oxygen.
If something fails, only that small segment is affected, not whole network. The dome can work as the interconnecting hub moving the stuff around.

Air & Water pipes can go through buildings. That way you have just a small tiny segment of 1 pylon connecting 2 production/storage buildings. No need to go long lines over the power lines.
(same applies to the dome). Is waste of metal and prone to damage if something big hits he area.

Fuel production separate loop away from water loop. Can be placed anywhere. Better still get moistorizers to supply the fuel production, and when you get the upgrade adding 50% on the water production, build a tank.
That way if dust storm hits, the fuel production won't consume from reserves, but from any saved water.

Wind farms are waste of resources. Yes constant power but is only needed when you have colonists living. By that time there are other methods to maintain cheap power.
Solar power is working 2/3 of the day covering fully the two shiifts, so set accordingly even the unmanned units, works better.

On that also the trick to conserve power. If you have two farms, make one producing morning, the other at night.
Same applies when you build the machine part factory. Since you ain't going to fill up two shifts, more likely not even the first, turn the other off.

Flying drone network is for the lazy who want to burn resources at the start, when these are scarce. Two trucks are better, and allow you to move stuff around. When idling gather resources off the map.

Before you send off your rocket the first time from Mars back to Earth, make sure that you have allocated to the RC the maximum amount of drones, even those belonging to the rocket.
And protect those left behind by the rocket. they will be needed.

If you get the Fungal farm, build it. It doesn't take space in the dome, is built outside. That way you will have enough space for 2 apartments, 1 factory, on a third triangle groser, 2-3 parks and the restaurant (forgot it's name). That will leave you space to place an Electronics factory in the first dome also, or third apartment. Especially if you are in a good spot with 2 rare minerals, and 2 metal mines, 3 apartments are must, and go for the medical spire.

b) I was looking at the mod, I need quite a bit of Lua coding. I will do it though but it will take bit time to learn :) Is not just another building or a crop or a sponsor. Needs more work.

c) Yeah heaters have sliders!!!! Just saw it after you said so. Thank you :D

That quiet some useful information, mind if I put your first point in the OP, for anyone else that might looking for tips ??

I also go with CaptainRAVE, some screenies would be nice to picture it better ? :o

@HungryHippos Glad to see I am not the only one taking my time ! :cool: Think I was around 60 Sols when 1 built my 2nd dome, or bit further, only have 2 Domes, 1 small and 1 medium and just passed 100 Sols. Went to take some screenies and then decided where I will have my 3rd dome. :o

Also, during a cold snap, make sure your dome are heated or the colonist will be complaining it is to cold and the Sanity will be going down.

Here is some screenies in the spoiler over my colony, if anyone interested. :p

Here is the whole map, just finished scanning it all just now.

B3CarUG.jpg

My first colony. Made it at Sol 27, first Human arrived at Sol 31. In the background the 2nd dome is visible, and it all connected with a tunnel.

hpjbIOl.jpg

And here is the second one, with the first in the background. :p

ZaPvjag.jpg

The location for my 3rd dome, bit close but did not get any warnings that it was overlapping a deposit so hopefully should be all good getting the resources from there.

YYO9qYM.jpg

My resource tree all done, part from 6 more Breakthrough ones. The last one I just got from the last scanable location on the map.

kYQilgp.jpg

And last, here is my milestone so far. Yeah, difficult level is not cranked up, "only" at 185%. :p My research is a bit over 1,000, so next ship I think I bring as many scientists and geologists as I possible can get.

qausZmF.jpg

Soldato
That quiet some useful information, mind if I put your first point in the OP, for anyone else that might looking for tips ??

Sure :)

I wrote them after a full night playing the game. They might need some "clean writing" process. Feel free

Yeah I haven't slept since yesterday morning. :o
Is the first game since Skyrim where I pulled an overnight gaming session.
(actually started at 2am after we broke off the platoon/division with the mates at WOT and WOWS)

Soldato
Could you post some pictures of your pipe setup? I can't quite picture it.

Yes I will :)

Very interesting ideas Panos.

What difficulty do you normally start on? I find the Paradox one a lot of fun, especially if you pick futurist instead of Rocket scientist. Having one rocket for a while really makes you think about what you need to send back, and having no cash means you need to heavily prioritise the right things at the right time or you can run out

300% is the lowest I have played up to now, my third game.
First two were 345% and 355% at 23N 2W map.

First two games were Russian Oligarch and Astrogeologist, third game Paradox Astrogeologist.

On my first game as Oligarch tried to play like we see on the youtube videos or twitch. Epic fail, running out of money and resources to the point the guys died of thirst in 2 Sol the moment they put their foot on Mars. (everything went frozen).

Second game managed to have them suicide -_- because of the grim conditions on the planet. (again too much ice).

Third game, picked a different region without ice to get bit the grips with the game.

On starts 2 & 3 didn't made the mistake on 1st play. I stayed clear of the solar panels and complicated tech until I had the resources.
You place 5 big solar panels, cement, fuel refinery and moisturizer. Set everyone to work on the two morning shifts, and scan the crap of the area.
Your needs will only metal, and 0.2 Machine parts per SOL. So the start parts are enough for 50-60 days!!!!

Indeed if difficult and fun playing with only one rocket. You have to plan ahead and prioritize.

Second trip is always the explorer (if start as Russia) and the truck. Otherwise the truck only alongside some parts, electronics. I do not fill up the rocket, it doesn't cost you anything to send it from earth half empty. It will only cost you fuel when you send it back.

Then when I have gone through the first half of the area, preferably with deep scan, I can set up the first dome.

Also the truck is not left idling. Until I start building the dome to haul goods, it harvest everything from the area. Especially on high meteor zone, it gathers enough polymers that you do not need to bring a single unit from Earth, ever. (assuming you don't build batteries etc until you have polymer plant).

On my third game I didn't connect the bases between them. The initial concrete/fuel base works independently, just a mile away. Using the truck to haul stuff between the two places, because resources are tight as you know to have expensive drones for such job.
Also as Paradox, drop the 2 starter drones. They will be always sitting there when the rocket leaves, until you open the tech where the RC can use 20 drones. Maybe get a power generator and keep it when you put up the dome.

Same applies to the other tips earlier. Self contained production lines are cut off from the rest of the network. Like fuel, food, polymer generation. And because you run them on 2 morning shifts you do not need anything more advance than the big solar panels. Maybe if you want to run 24/7 the fuel production, but ain't worth the parts. You generate more fuel that you actually need with the initial setup, and by the time you will need second fuel refinery, you will have polymer & mech parts production. So then you can afford batteries or windfarms.

So the dome is independent. That limits issues or broken pipe 100 miles away on a different site.
As it happened on my second game and had 20 dead, while the rest left the planet with the next shuttle.

I have clocked on this game already 20 hours. That's as much as with Cities Skylines (which I find boring after awhile), and I am not going to put it down for many more hours. Probably I will be playing it as much as tropico 3/4/5 (around 250-300 hours each).

Cannot understand how some complain that is easy game, not challenging and already completed it in 1-4 hours!!! (according to their steam play time)
How? The tech tree is random. The breakthroughs are random. The event story lines are random (1 per game).
There are techs that you will find in one game but not the next! Even if you put everything on fastest speed, you cannot setup a dome in 1 hour on 250%+ difficulty. Let alone in an area where it gets iced.

Soldato
OP
Cannot understand how some complain that is easy game, not challenging and already completed it in 1-4 hours!!! (according to their steam play time)
How? The tech tree is random. The breakthroughs are random. The event story lines are random (1 per game).
There are techs that you will find in one game but not the next! Even if you put everything on fastest speed, you cannot setup a dome in 1 hour on 250%+ difficulty. Let alone in an area where it gets iced.

I agree with you about the above. With everything randomized it makes it more fun as well. I still not got the useful breakthrough which I seen Skye Storm get in his playthrough, 5% off research each time investigating a alien "artefact", which sure lowers the time to get things searched. Also, I think it was Quill, getting 10% off on certain trees, which I not seen myself either.

As my post further up with the screenies, my area is not iced but it sure took me more then an hour to get my first dome up and running. Then again, I don't like rushing things but still, sounds bit to easy.

Soldato
This game sounds rock hard from what some people are saying.

It depends the difficulty you set. I like the challenge, and failure doesn't put me down, seeing it as an opportunity to learn stuff.
And that depends which one is your sponsor, your own commander skill, and the map.

So you can have a 350% difficulty map without icing, and a 350% difficulty map with icing. The latter is much more complicated and difficult.

Soldato
OP
This game sounds rock hard from what some people are saying.

As Panos said, all depends on what you pick in the start up menu. I just had a quick look and the lowest difficulty I could find was 25%, and the highest 535%. Some screenies in the spoiler if you interested. :p Something to consider is that you can move a degree at a time and the difficult level changes, around the highest area, just moving one degree higher (45 North, 112 West) and the difficulty went down to 395%.

If you look at the screenies, in the lower right corner you can also see the amount of resources the location has and the level of the threats.

Lowest difficulty I could find of the World Location and how the map looks like.

o4gBYcb.jpg

JtSeI6D.jpg

Here is the highest difficulty.

WG5p4dN.jpg

Eh2oV0W.jpg

To find out a bit more about the set up of the game, you could look at quill18 Surviving Mars - A Guide for Complete Beginners, then you can see all the different sponsors and commanders you can pick, as well as the Mystery but it don't really tell you what it is. I picked a random one and so far nothing happened. But if you pick one of them you can change the difficult level there as well. So everything you pick, changes the difficulty. The sponsor you pick will let you decided how many rockets you have to your disposal and the amount of money you can burn through by buying stuff to help you out at the beginning.

Soldato
OP
Is there better power generation later? I either burn through machine parts of metals!
Yes, you will discover other means of getting power. Well, all depending on how they set up the discoveries you making, if it more then I found (which it might) then you might not. Hmm all I can say though is I have discovered another mean of getting energy, so I know it is there but can guarantee that you will find it. After all, the discoveries is all randomized. :p

Back
Top Bottom