T-REX

Soldato
Looks like the Maxwell Titan could be quite a wait, my gut feeling is NVidia are going to stick to a similar roll out they did with Kepler. This means that the Titans are still nearly a year away.

Makes sense, Probably going to be like this same with the Kepler schedule anyway, Just a guess - 680 *980* 780 *1080*, Titan II *Titan* 1080 Ti *780 Ti* and then Titan Black II *Titan Black*.

I don't know much about overclocking this CPU but so far it has managed 4.5

From what I've seen 4.40GHZ to 4.70GHZ seems to be a good range.

Associate
On the cooling performance of the 980s have you tried removing the sli cover on the blocks ? If you look on the back plate there is a small cover near the power plugs. Nvidia put this into the design especially for close sli set ups and its meant to help get air to the fan, of course don't remove the top one but maybe if you could show us the temp differences of this feature and if it helps you?

Thanks in advance if you do, do it :)
As myself and I'm sure others would like to know how well this addition to the ref design helps cool the cards in sli ?

Man of Honour
OP
On the cooling performance of the 980s have you tried removing the sli cover on the blocks ? If you look on the back plate there is a small cover near the power plugs. Nvidia put this into the design especially for close sli set ups and its meant to help get air to the fan, of course don't remove the top one but maybe if you could show us the temp differences of this feature and if it helps you?

Thanks in advance if you do, do it :)
As myself and I'm sure others would like to know how well this addition to the ref design helps cool the cards in sli ?

4 up removing the covers lowered the temp of the top card by 10c to 15c but I don't think it will be that big a drop with 2 cards.

Man of Honour
OP
Update

Several days ago I put in an order for 4 EK waterblocks and backplates.

At the same time I put in another order for a semi parallel 4 way bridge for the above.

Thursday the waterblocks and backplates turn up, great.

Unfortunately the bridge did not arrive so I phoned and enquired about it's status and was told that they had not sent it out yet. They also agreed that they would send it out to reach me today (Saturday).

I checked my account last night and this morning and still the bridge has not been sent out so I have just been on the phone to them. They have now told me that the bridge is damaged and it could take several weeks to get another one. I have therefore cancelled it and ordered another one from a different supplier.

What I am really upset about is I have taken these last few days off work to fit the waterblocks and it has cost me a lot of money for nothing.

What would have been so difficult about the supplier telling me in a phone call that there was a problem with the part. If I had not phoned them I could have been waiting for several weeks.

Soldato
Kaap will you by chance be getting a few of the 390X's when they come out ?

Oh and I need to pick your brain, At the moment I have 2 way SLI 980's and I'm thinking of going 3 way 980's just because I've never done it before but was wondering if the 4790K would be up to the job *Also need to get a PLX equipped board* and would it actually be worth it over 2 way ?

Man of Honour
OP
Kaap will you by chance be getting a few of the 390X's when they come out ?

Oh and I need to pick your brain, At the moment I have 2 way SLI 980's and I'm thinking of going 3 way 980's just because I've never done it before but was wondering if the 4790K would be up to the job *Also need to get a PLX equipped board* and would it actually be worth it over 2 way ?

I will be looking to get a few 390Xs yes.

What I am planning to do is rehouse my AMD setup in a Little Devil case similar to the one in this thread but red inside not green. The 900D they are in at the moment will be getting the elbow as working with a LDV8 case again has reminded me how easy it should be.

When I do the above it will give me three LDV8 cases

I will use the green one for NVidia setups. (housing my 980s at the moment)

I will use the red one for AMD setups. (still to get)

I will use the black reverse one for anything else. (housing my Titans at the moment)

As new cards etc come along I will just upgrade the appropriate system which should be easy if I use quick disconnects and the right coloured coolant.

As to getting 3 x 980s on a 4790k system, yes you can do it with the right mobo but watercooling is an absolute must. I am finding the heat mine generate makes the rest of the system hot and then it effects the mobo/CPU/RAM which is not good and why I am going the water route.

You could also have a look at picking up a secondhand SB-E mobo/hexcore CPU cheap as this will give you a number of advantages over the 4790k

It will probably overclock better.
It has 6 cores.
The mobos don't need a PLX chip.
You can probably pick up a setup cheap as people are looking to upgrade to Haswell E.
Quad channel DDR3.

Man of Honour
Kap I feel you pain with taking time off to wait for parts... that never appear.

Why did you choose the 900 over something like the Primo out of interest?

Man of Honour
OP
Kap I feel you pain with taking time off to wait for parts... that never appear.

Why did you choose the 900 over something like the Primo out of interest?

I already have one 900D so it was a bit of what I am used to but when I took it out of the box and bits started falling off it I decided to switch to a Little Devil case for the build as I also have one of those already.

The thing about the Little Devil cases is they are a bit basic but they are also really easy to work with because of it and better still they are almost 100% aluminium with no plastic what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom