Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Hey Edgey, thanks :). You're quite right about Americans not using the Cromwell, they were an entirely British invention, the allied star was used on all allied vehicles on d-day onwards so that allied vehicles could be spotted and therefore avoided by the allied aircraft, they are infact the 1st Royal tank regiment (+divisional support) of the 7th armoured division.

Soldato
Hey Edgey, thanks :). You're quite right about Americans not using the Cromwell, they were an entirely British invention, the allied star was used on all allied vehicles on d-day onwards so that allied vehicles could be spotted and therefore avoided by the allied aircraft, they are infact the 1st Royal tank regiment (+divisional support) of the 7th armoured division.

I actually edited it out of my previous post because I was unsure. Thanks for clearing that up, you learn something every day :)

Associate
This topic has made me think about restarting Warhammer as I haven't played for AGES.

I decided to have a quick peek on Warseer as I haven't been on there since I stopped collecting and Google Chrome says it contains malware, anybody know if this is Chrome being overly protective or if there is a real problem?

EDIT: After having a quick look on the internet it seems Warseer has been having problems, well I guess I will have to wait until another day to start thinking about getting back into Warhammer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'd lve t start this again, but t expensive. I've gt a few mdels n my desk.

They need sme kind f cmpetitr.

:srry fr spelling mistakes my.. yu can guess which key isnt wrking.

Associate
A friend of mine paints a lot, I tried to get back into it recently but I don't think I have the patience for it anymore! I'd also get demoralised about my painting whenever I saw the quality of his work lol.

This is some of his stuff:

pict1226h.jpg

pict1192.jpg

pict0977d.jpg

pict0320ig4.jpg

Here's a link to a gallery - http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/page/1/submitter/Arctica
and blog - http://blog.coolminiornot.com/Arctica

Associate
Amazing skills being shown here. I used to play Warhammer fantasy and Battletech back in the day (amongst other games, including 15mm Napoleonic). Haven't painted for some 25 years though.
My son's 11 now, so probably slightly too young to introduce it to him. A couple of years though, once he's got a few mates who've shown an interest and I'll set him up with some gear :)

I'll have to hunt out my old figures, must be some classics in there

Soldato

:( I've taken an interest to painting warhammer figures over the last couple of weeks and was getting an idea of where to start and what to buy when I looked at the first link above. It actually depressed me to look at the detail and sheer awesomeness of those miniatures to the point where I'm just not going to bother. :( I couldn't get anywhere close to that in a reasonable timescale of <1 year.

Those miniatures really are a work of art. How long has your friend been painting pooey ? I assume somewhere in the region of 5 + years.

If I do take the plunge and get my self some kit, would I be correct in thinking Vallejo paint is best? I found it cheaper to buy compared to the GW stuff and watched several videos where people said the Vallejo paint was of higher quality.

Could someone also link a few sites where they have purchased paint/brushes from because I've found several sites but some of them look a bit dodgy.

Associate
OP
@SPARC
I generally buy the official Games workshop Paints, as i use their washes For my models. However ive heard that the Vallejo Paints are the next best alternative (if not better). As for brushes any ones will do really. Providing they are the correct sizes and the bristles aren't split apart.
I wouldn't be discouraged by Peoples amazing skills at painting, We were all pants at one stage of our painting careers, but providing you stick at it you could eventually b producing awesome minatures!

Soldato
Cheers Arcimbaldo. I've heard the GW washes are excellent from watching Beasts of War videos on Youtube, badab black being the most popular I believe. I think the Vallejo paint is better value for money as the tubs are 17ml for around £1.60 compared to GW paint which is 12ml and costs around £2.50.

I found these 2 sites which I think are ok:

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/
http://www.wargamestore.com/

I will probably wait until the summer break before starting up if i decide to do it.

Associate
OP
I would also recommend dark sphere,
They are cheaper than wayland and the war games store but depending on your order the delivery could counteract the saving as it can be quite expensive for delivery. The washes are brilliant but as for standard paint the Vallejo ones look good, I will try them out at some point.

As for which models to get, If you dont plan on actually playing just choose the ones that look coolest, Which IMO are the new grey knights :p.

Soldato
Well as for choosing models I was thinking about getting the cheapest set of 5 or so to start with and gradually work my way up, improving my skill along they way. I wouldn't want to buy a £15 -£20 Elite Space Marine to then paint it like a 4 year old :p Some of the models are ridiculously cool looking though.

Associate
Hey

I play every other weak with the gaming club me and a couple of friends started called Roll With It http://www.rollwithit.org.uk. We have a fairly active blog and forums running.

Personally i have an Eldar army, regular space marines and am currently working through a Blood Angels force to take to an upcoming tournament.

With regards to buying stuff try out Maelstrom Games, cracking prices and if you ever go down to there bricks and mortar (which is where we play in the FOC gaming hall) they are all really nice guys, and great customer service.

Soldato
I have a moderate sized pure Sisters army, not a cheap thing :) Don't play the game tho, going into the stores makes me cringe - just find painting the figures relaxing and could never afford them when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom