Tabletop Warhammer?

There's a learning curve involved, but I found it didn't take long to get the basics down and once you've done that, it's just a case of practice. I still can't do fine detail very well, but basecoating, highlighting and shading with it are pretty simple. :)

You can pick up a reasonable compressor and a pair of cheap Chinese-made airbrushes from various eBay sellers at a decent price and once you've got comfortable with using them, you can invest in a nicer brush as your main one, with the others useful for stuff like using different types of paint or varnishing.

Well I will be looking at starting a Tau army and I thought that an Airbrush would be good to start off with with them. Would youtube be the best place to find out how to change paints, clean and things like that. What price am I looking at for a starter one? Its just my Birthday coming up in October so it could be a good prezzie for me as well as a riptide!

Yep, there are tons of tutorials on Youtube. The hardest part (other than actually painting well with it!) is definitely thinning paint, for me, but there are plenty of videos describing this. I got this kit, plus one of those portable spray booths, and then eventually upgraded to a Harder and Steenbeck airbrush with two different needle/nozzle sets.

Tau are one of the easier armies to paint, Heretian on here has some nice Tau that he has airbrushed.

There are loads of good tutorials on Youtube, also when you get it spend time spraying paper or cardboard, to get an idea of the paint coverage at different PSI how much you pull back on the widget on the brush.

Ideally you want a side or gravity airbrush and a two action one, but that is where you pull back on the widget for air, then press down for paint, so gives you more control over a single action which is paint and air at the same time

Tau are quite nice to airbrush, especially the likes of the hammerheads with their lovely large panels :)

As Nikumba says ideally you want a side, or graviy feed brush as you can use them with much lower pressures compared to suction feed ones.

I've not had much chance to really play with our brushes yet, but they are surprisingly easy to use after relatively little practice, at least for the basics.

I did these on pretty much my first real play with the brush (thinning the older GW paints at about 1:5 paint to thinner).

tauhullsfront.jpg

I use Vallejo Liquid Acrylic Gloss and Matt for varnishing all my models. At least 2 coats of gloss followed by a coat of Matt. The gloss provides a harder finish and the matt makes them look like real models again.

I also use gloss between coats on some models to allow me to apply oil washes and do weathering. Most Leman Russ's I plan painting for a friend (18 of them) will require at least 5 coats at various stages before finish coat.

Thanks, placed an order for both varnishes. :)

BTW anyone know any good hobby shops or art shops in the Kent area.

So seems like rumours are still saying no heavy flamers for anything other than stern guard or legion of the damned despite white dwarf showing it. Will have to wait till I have the book till I see what I'm doing but doesn't look hopeful. Might just end up leaving out heavy weapons in my tac squads and just run all bolters+special to keep them mobile especially now that there's no free heavy weapons. Shame since it does kinda hurt sallies chapter tactics compared to a lot of others.

Ended up placing an order for the Codex and Tactical Squad. Characters will have to wait until next month I think. Meanwhile, sourcing a lone Marine for the competition is proving harder than expected. :p

Nice one :D

What characters do you want? I think the new ones are insanely overpriced for mono pose plastic models (especially as the captain is basically just the AOBR captain) it makes Forgeworld look cheap! £18 for plastic captain....or £15 for Forge World resin captain :/

Jump Pack Chaplain and, unfortunately, the rather costly new Librarian. :o

I also really want the new plastic Chaplain, but until I can find someone who needs the other stuff from that set and is willing to split the cost with me, I'm not going to be getting it. :(

GW being weird.

Technically yes cherubs and gothic architecture have always been part of the Imperium aesthetic (mostly from Blanche) but on the battlefield? Seems ridiculous. It even has a sword and shield, does it fight?

Back
Top Bottom