Tabletop Warhammer?

I use Vallejo Liquid Acrylic Gloss and Matt for varnishing all my models. At least 2 coats of gloss followed by a coat of Matt. The gloss provides a harder finish and the matt makes them look like real models again.

I also use gloss between coats on some models to allow me to apply oil washes and do weathering. Most Leman Russ's I plan painting for a friend (18 of them) will require at least 5 coats at various stages before finish coat.

Cheers for that Spuj, I did see the sprays on that site recently but wasn't too sure what the colours looked like. What is The Fang for instance?!

At a guess, Fang would be the main colour of Space Wolves. That's a complete guess though as the GW website doesn't work on my work internet connection :p

From memory my brother uses Vallejo Gloss varnish, then a matt one over the top for a lot of his models.
I think the gloss varnish is slightly tougher, but the matt one stops it being shiny (and adds another layer).

He also sometimes uses the gloss varnish as a seal before playing around with oil washes and the like (it means he can wipe away excess oil wash fairly easily).

[edit]
I just had the UPS man call, my KR foam has arrived :D

Guys I'm quite a fan of rattle can painting for blocks of colours. How do I go about basing models with blue or green without buying an airbrush?

Army Painter. Ive done about 2000pts of my Salamanders with 1 can of the greenskin colour so far. Takes a bit of adjusting from citadel primer but once you get used to it its not that hard. Just have a few models to practice on

Fair enough, the rules we have seem simple enough. How about we say end of October? A couple of months gives plenty of time for people to source a marine and paint it. Even I can manage one figure in two months :p

Tactical or Assault marine (or equivalent for Wolves) only.
No Sternguard/Vanguard/Forge World/special characters etc
No large bases, must be on supplied base but base can be decorated
Figure can be converted but don't go overboard.
Paint scheme must be original (no using current ones), come up with a name and little fluff piece to go with it.

Three awards available, will be based on:

1. Painting (Painting ability)
2. Modelling (conversion, pose, base etc)
3. Scheme (Paint scheme ignoring ability, fluff)

Awards are:

Njal Stormcaller (old version, white metal, OOP, unpainted) donated by myself
Black Library books tbc donated by Aceytrixx
Dreadnaught tbc (new in box) donated by Spuj

Also should add, it should be something new that you've painted since the competition started. I can't check this so just be honest :p

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't use it like you'd use a GW spray. :p

This has ruined too many recently (SM. Captain and a Venerable Dreadnought), which are now being stripped.
Never using the can again unless I'm after a 'flock' texture (it was the Matt White primer). Used it exactly as described as per the YouTube video - even tried different combinations of distance and pressure on some old sprue's.

Wasn't happy with any of the results, so I've gone back to car spray :p

Also, don't use it as shown on their YouTube video. :p

I found it was tricky to get the technique right, but once you did, it's way better than any other wargaming primer in a can (I'm not sure how it stacks up against the Halfords stuff, though). The white, however, I never had any success with whatsoever. I did find it was also very fussy about ambient conditions, perhaps more so than the GW sprays.

Right, time to find a Tactical Marine... Can I paint it using my airbrush? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom