Tabletop Warhammer?

Commissario
I've been assembling some of the models from the "Tzeench start collecting" set and I love the new plastic screamers and Flamers :)

Far higher quality/better detail than the old metal ones* (every single time I used my old metal flamers & horrors an arm would drop off), and so many options, I think I worked it out that I could make something like 300 screamers and not have any two alike (5 heads, 3 bodies, 5 tails, 6 spines).

I've also just had an acrylic nail varnish display stand arrive, it's idea for putting the paints (or models up to 32mm bases), it's considerably cheaper than the ones sold for paints :D
My younger brother bought one and liked it hence my purchase, he's thinking of getting more to help display his models in his Billy's.

*I basically swore off Citadel metal models after trying to assemble metal flesh hounds and having to resort to the dremel, welding gloves and a mix of cutting and sanding discs due to how warped the necks were (it took hours to grind them down to the point the heads fitted the bodies as the necks on the head side were all deformed on one axis, whilst the body side was deformed on the other).

Soldato
It varies a great deal mini to mini. For the most part I find the older metal ones have more character - cliche, I know - but there's obvious rubbish ones too. Nice to have the choice of both.

Soldato
Quick question, I'm thinking of repainting some of my marines I've been practicing on into a different scheme.

Would I be best just painting over or stripping, and if stripping is there a 'best' method?

Thanks!

Commissario
Stripping is probably best so you're not applying additional layers of paint.

As for best method of stripping, my younger brother tried various things including fairy power spray and detol, but ended up using Biostrip which not only is much more pleasant to work with than most of the other methods (it's non toxic/non caustic), it's also relatively cheap as you can buy it in quantities ranging from 500ml to 5l and you only need to paint it on and leave it, as opposed to submerge the model in it (as some oth the other needed).

I think it's about a tenner for 500ml and about £25 for 5l which is nice as it's also useful for decorating as it's intended as a general paint stripper and replacement for nitromors (now that is vile stuff, it not only melts the paint but would melt the plastic model).

[edit]
Here is a review of it

Man of Honour
Potato pick and still basing but pretty chuffed with how my Cawl turned out!

rvUWn4L.jpg

Need to touch up but soooo many other models to paint so will get round to that some other time! Lots of lessons learned... mostly paint before assembly :p

Commissario
He looks really good, far better than I ever manage to do with my models :)

I'm looking at starting to assemble a Khorne Lord of Skulls (I won't say what I've been calling him my wargaming whatsapp group), as I'm going to a weekend of debauchery* and wargames later in the year and my daemons are getting their first outing in years :) taking the LoK is a nice way to bulk out my army whilst reducing model count, and he looks nice (we tend to field fun/nice looking armies rather than what's actually the best for the job).

I realised I've got mainly Khorne in my daemon army, and as I've got a pair of Brass Scorpions that I need to assemble and paint**, I have this vision of fielding an army consisting purely Khorne daemons at some point, something like 20 or 30 blood letters, some bloodcrushers, flesh hounds, 2 soul grinders, skull cannon, daemon prince, the lord of skulls and two scorpions.
Although I suspect the response would be one of my friends pulling out a titan and bunch of knights :)

*this is a lie.

**One has been in a really useful box for something like 10 years in it's packaging.

Soldato
Nice work Nitefly.

Nice work Shami, is that the old Eldar Firedragon Exarch?

I've decided to do my Plague Marines and (purposefully) gone with a very dirty scheme in keeping with Nurgle. Rather than normal plague marine green scheme I've decided to base the scheme on corrupted death guard (ie. The original plague marines) the only thing missing is I need to the Oxidising on the brass parts in the next few days but actually really pleased how they have turned out. Have done very little edging and highlighting, mainly just picking out sores and boils and the armour rather than anything else.

Few pictures;

7P8QNN4.jpg

ZqRqORC.jpg

FCoxtJ7.jpg

Man of Honour
Cheers guys I was really chuffed in the end - the basing turned out great... the only thing that I think looks shoddy is the black rim on the base because I rushed it... grrr! I won’t spam any more pics but one final potato for you so you can see the finished thing... two skitariis for better size gauging!

PagDycf.jpg

Soldato
Nice work.

The basing is surprisingly easy (I thought I would need to stick loads of stuff down) I just ended up with applying Armageddon Dust pretty liberally and then washing with a bit of Agrax and a bit of Anthonian Camoshade to bring out the effect and for the effort you put it in it looks quite good.

Did it take much to get the cracked mars effect?

Man of Honour
Nice work.

The basing is surprisingly easy (I thought I would need to stick loads of stuff down) I just ended up with applying Armageddon Dust pretty liberally and then washing with a bit of Agrax and a bit of Anthonian Camoshade to bring out the effect and it for the effort you put it in it looks quite good.

Did it take much to get the cracked mars effect?
Nah it’s a total doddle - you just blob it on ultra thick and it dries that way all by itself. To be properly descriptive, I layered the bases with khorne red first, then a thick dolop of Martian ironearth. Have some Martian ironcrust to use so will see how that turns out on the dunecrawler :)

Next job... those 3 venerable space wolf Dreadnoughts. Going to see if I can save time by spraying all the grey bits grey before assembling... will be a neat experiment if nothing else!

Soldato
Nah it’s a total doddle - you just blob it on ultra thick and it dries that way all by itself. To be properly descriptive, I layered the bases with khorne red first, then a thick dolop of Martian ironearth. Have some Martian ironcrust to use so will see how that turns out on the dunecrawler :)

Next job... those 3 venerable space wolf Dreadnoughts. Going to see if I can save time by spraying all the grey bits grey before assembling... will be a neat experiment if nothing else!

I've got one more Death Guard/Plague Marine to finish who is currently only based in Menoth White where needed. I then have 10 more plague marines on order who should turn up in the next few days to get on with. The three I've complete I'm probably going to use as "squad leaders" for some Nurgle cultists I'm going to go onto post Marines.

I'm just trying to decide how to best get a disease look on the cultist flesh, probably base, layer then wash again lightly with Camoshade for a green tint.

What I really want is this bad lad for a leader https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-EU/Nurgle-Daemon-Prince-Herald-2017 maybe with some Deathshroud as a bodyguard. Forgeworld has so much cool stuff :p

Man of Honour
Ooo for rotten flesh you can do what I did on Cawl - rakarth flesh base, then do a green shade, rakarth back over the top then use pallid Witch flesh to highlight. I didn’t do it too well (it’s the hand closest to the camera in the most recent pic) but it’s in the cawl how to paint video on YouTube :)

Back
Top Bottom