Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
I believe the phrase you used was something like:

“Pummel your ghosties” :D

It's game time on Friday, in all honesty I expect him to beat me as he's a git and actually reads rules, watches battle reports and builds a sensible army. I've just bought stuff I like and I'm going to try and wing it.

Last time I didn't even have any spells :D:p

Soldato
I believe the phrase you used was something like:

“Pummel your ghosties” :D
:D
It's game time on Friday, in all honesty I expect him to beat me as he's a git and actually reads rules, watches battle reports and builds a sensible army. I've just bought stuff I like and I'm going to try and wing it.

Last time I didn't even have any spells :D:p
I have about half the number of models on the table that you have so you may just overwhelm me - and I still have nightmares about ethereal bodies too :(

Soldato
IMG-20190221-172141.jpg

IMG-20190221-204501.jpg

IMG-20190221-204539.jpg

IMG-20190221-204547.jpg

IMG-20190221-204605.jpg

Soldato
Nah, it's an eBay job, some polish guy (in poland) with only 6 feedback score, took a risk but it paid off. It wasn't particularly cheap after the international shipping was added but I am so pleased with it. A very nice piece, all resin.

It did need assembly/painting. Assembly needed a bit of filling in places (to be fair the guy selling did give fair warning) but was no hassle really.

I will use it as part of a larger 6x4 board, I might get some photos of the whole board on the weekend.

Soldato
Well the good news, i managed to finish my army. The bad news? I got completely mauled by @Pookie Bear :p

I don't pay enough attention to my own rules and made some daft mistakes, plus Stormcast just now through Nighthaubt with ease!

Will get some pictures up in the next day or so.

Soldato
That was a cracking game.

Round One

We were playing the Knife in the Dark battleplan, which basically has an objective in each player's zone, and if you control both beyond turn three, you win. I left a good part of my forces in the Celestial Realm (two Celestar Ballista, a Lord Ordinator, 5 Sequitors and 5 Evocators) while the rest, 2x5 Sequitors, 5 Evocators, 3 Mounted Evocators, a Knight Incantor and Astreia Solbright took the field. Newts' Nighthaunt outnumbered my forces three to one and after he took the first turn (my choice) I have to admit, I was feeling a little vulnerable and started to turtle backwards, so Turn One was pretty limp. The only threat was me using my one-off artifact, the Staff of Focus, to try and blast his wizards with an Everblaze Comet - and failing, twice (rolled 4 and then 3 with a CP). Failure. I buffed my Sequitors defensively across the board and, using Cleansing Phalanx, they were super-charged.

Round Two

Nighthaunt went first. They moved forward again, pretty much into charging range, but were reluctant to charge and leave themselves isolated against Evocators and buzzing Sequitors. His attempt at magic was failed, then snuffed out by the Knight Incantor's Voidstorm Scroll. Stormcast managed to get off the comet which exploded right in the middle of the NH lines, killing a good half dozen and wounding the dragon and wizards. Moments later, the SC reinforcements appeared behind the NH lines and started flinging ballista bolts into the Chainrasp Horde left guarding the objective. They were screened by Sequitors and Evocators and had the Lord Ordinator keeping an eye on things and buffing their shots. I decided to go on the offensive, partially. Wizards tried to blast the NH casters, and only succeeded in wounding them slightly - but it was enough to make Newts get worried. One defensive flank and the centre moved up, crashing into the Nighthaunt, the mounted Evocators ruining the second Chainrasp Horde. The other flank formed a double-defensive line (Evocators offset behind super-charged Sequitors - the latter rerolling hits, wounds and saves). All the SC reinforcements failed their charges.

Round Three

NH won the roll off. His forces were split around the Comet, and having to rush back to defend the objective. At this point, it all started to unravel a bit for the NH. Rolls were not going well, and the buffed Sequitors were holding off the worst of the enemy, apart from the reinforcements, who were wiped out in one round by the dragon and charging chainrasps. In return, the SC wizards and melee units were taking quite the toll on the NH frontline. On the NH left flank, their lord failed a charge, and that left his cavalry isolated and they got toasted by Evocators. Despair started to settle in at this stage, but having two heroes, a dragon and half a dozen Spirit Hosts (with several other units in a bad state) meant he wasn't prepared to give up just yet.

Round Four

Objectives were ignored. SC won the roll-off and everyone who could, charged whatever they could. The two generals decided to have a face-off. The NH ended this round in a worse state, the only bright part being the uitter dominance of his general over the SC leader. The dragon was Evocated. A couple of SC units were destroyed, but by this point, the SC outnumbered the NH handily.

Round Five

The SC general was slain, but the remaining Nighthaunt were slaughtered to the last Casper.

Yes, I did panel your ghosties, but there were several turning points, and I think it's fair to say that while my dice were not particularly hot, yours went from hot at the start, to downright awful for round three and four. I'm sure there were moments I've forgotten from this game! I got some good photos though!

Soldato
Yeah it was fun, I rolled about 5 6's in a row at the start when nothing mattered and as soon as I got in combat I couldn't roll anything. An example being spirit hosts, 18 attacks, 6 being an auto mortal wound, I rolled 17 1-4 and 1 5 :p

I think I need to ditch the dragon going forward and leave him just a pretty presentation piece rather than as part of my army as losing all the battle traits just to have it isn't worth it (despite him single handedly wiping out a whole squad of sequitors in one turn :D) replace it with a Mourngal or Black Coach and then I can use the underworld deployment feature as well as others to get around more handily. Also probably ditch the Grimghast in favour of the Dreadscythe, probably got that call wrong in retrospect.

Good game though, looking forward to a rematch at some point soon.

Soldato
Yeah it was fun, I rolled about 5 6's in a row at the start when nothing mattered and as soon as I got in combat I couldn't roll anything. An example being spirit hosts, 18 attacks, 6 being an auto mortal wound, I rolled 17 1-4 and 1 5 :p

I think I need to ditch the dragon going forward and leave him just a pretty presentation piece rather than as part of my army as losing all the battle traits just to have it isn't worth it (despite him single handedly wiping out a whole squad of sequitors in one turn :D) replace it with a Mourngal or Black Coach and then I can use the underworld deployment feature as well as others to get around more handily. Also probably ditch the Grimghast in favour of the Dreadscythe, probably got that call wrong in retrospect.

Good game though, looking forward to a rematch at some point soon.
Yeah, your Spirit Hosts were not on great form. I have seen Mournguls in action, and their aura is as scary as their attacks.

I may well have a new army by the time you're ready for another game. I'm about halfway done with my Khorne army - and they have a new book out soon!

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question guys - if I really love the 40k lore, are the rulebooks/codexes (codexi?) still worth getting? I got Visions of Heresy for my birthday, which is superb, but I'd like to get a bit more of the history - I still have fond memories of all the lore in the original Rogue Trader book.

If they are, was any edition in particular the best? Or can I just grab whatever's cheap?

Soldato
To be honest the new faction codexes are pretty slim on lore. Mostly a photo book, a few painting tips and rules. Nothing like the old days sadly.

If you want the history of 40k which is the foundation you could always read the Horus Heresy books. If you don't fancy that you can always just look on the Black Library on the website and see what you find that takes your fancy.

Another option is to just use the online 40k wiki or lexicanum (I think that's what it's called) and browse whatever history takes your fancy.

Soldato
Yea I agree on the codexes, they do tell you about each race, and the units within, but don't go into much back story, there are bits, but not much.

The codexes are more for setting up battle forged armies for gaming.

Caporegime
I still have some of those. Dark Angels and Tyranids, I got an IG codex also but that's later, maybe 5 the ed. I got the 2nd ed rule book and tons of datacards and stuff like that.

None of it is worth anything though, but will definitely keep it.

I found my BA codex, all the rulebooks and dark millennium box last week.

Back
Top Bottom