Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a Matt spray varnish?

It's for scenery/terrain to stop it getting scratched etc

Edit: nevermind I did a ton of research today but in the end just went for Hycote Matt Lacquer, I am a fan of Hycote sprays in general and reviews state it doesn't shine which is the main thing.

I looked at some of the army painter/GW ones but very expensive and I reckon overkill just for terrain scenery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a Matt spray varnish?

It's for scenery/terrain to stop it getting scratched etc

Edit: nevermind I did a ton of research today but in the end just went for Hycote Matt Lacquer, I am a fan of Hycote sprays in general and reviews state it doesn't shine which is the main thing.

I looked at some of the army painter/GW ones but very expensive and I reckon overkill just for terrain scenery.

Is the one you are getting good for models as well? I want a matte one for models.

Soldato
Is the one you are getting good for models as well? I want a matte one for models.

I cannot confirm, once it's arrived I'll put on the scenery and let you know. After the research the general consensus is that the GW purity seal/Army painter non-shiney matt are really the best.

One guy said army painter one was "so matt" it took all of the shine out of the metallics and said that after 20 years experience trying different ones, the GW purity seal was the best. But it was between the two.

As this is for scenery, I am not so bothered as as I said, I am a fan of Hycote sprays in general.

You gotta be really careful it seems with spray varnish, get a bad one, and it can mist up or "snow flake" and completely ruin your model. Honestly I think if I were doing my minuatures, I would probably just bite the bullet and pay for the GW purity seal.

EDIT: seems they renamed it to Munitorum Varnish - actually at £11.75 a pop isnt that ridiculous. Probalem buying from GW you then gotta pay postage, 3rd party sites will charge postage and it will add up, the Hycote one was £8.75 inc del.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is ebay still the best place to try and sell models? Excluding just rocking up to the local clubs. I've a load of GW stuff in boxes that I keep meaning to organise and move on / repaint.
If new in box then eBay works and you can get ok prices depending on kit.

For stuff that's already painted / assembled clubs are the best bet in my experience.

I got £120 for a new in box original land raider on gum tree a few years ago though - so swings and roundabouts, depends what flavour of nutter lives local to you!

Soldato

I used it on this, 2 coats. To be honest you can barely tell its on at all, other than then it feels a bit smoother to the touch, and if you just get the light right you can see a slightly shimmer, but you gotta really be looking for it.

IMG-20190130-165345.jpg

Soldato
I totally empathise on the drybrushing front.

I find it difficult to get the right amount of paint on my brush - it's always too little or too much. And no matter how many bloody tutorials I watch, it never gets any easier! Which is why I end up edge highlighting. I'm going to give it another go when I get on to my Blood Warriors shortly. They're only battleline so if they look a little less refined than my leaders, I can live with that!

Caporegime
Painted: leman russ punisher and leman russ conqueror. Basilisk. Half squad of guardsmen.

To paint: 2.5 squads of guardsmen. 4 heavy weapons. Command squad. 2 commissars. 10 scions. Taurox prime. Another conqueror and a chimera.

Most time has probably been spent on cleaning up mould lines on guardsmen.

Soldato
Painted: leman russ punisher and leman russ conqueror. Basilisk. Half squad of guardsmen.

To paint: 2.5 squads of guardsmen. 4 heavy weapons. Command squad. 2 commissars. 10 scions. Taurox prime. Another conqueror and a chimera.

Most time has probably been spent on cleaning up mould lines on guardsmen.

Busy bee, I have a Baal Pred, Terminator Captain and Chaplain to paint, feels like too much :D

I can't believe they got rid of the badass looking Kaskrin squad and replaced them with those bug eye ugly scion things.

Caporegime
Busy bee, I have a Baal Pred, Terminator Captain and Chaplain to paint, feels like too much :D

I can't believe they got rid of the badass looking Kaskrin squad and replaced them with those bug eye ugly scion things.

Same. What frustrates me is just how many codex options don't exist as minis or are a pain to get. Even simple things like guardsmen special weapons!

Soldato
Yeh apparently everything in the boxset is new sculpts which is awesome. They've shown a lot of the Chaos stuff (all of it incredible might I add) however very little of the Primaris stuff so very interested to see what else there is.

Also looks like my no buying models until my 2k list is complete is going out the window.

Back
Top Bottom