Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Ohhh new obliterators awesome. I'm literally just starting a chaos army, got 12 berzerkers so far, obliterators are on my list, but the current ones are resin (ugh) and those new ones look much better!

Soldato
I've eventually made some progress on my nighthaunt after months of inertia.

Got my 10 Harridans needing drybrush and edge highlighting, my 3 spirit hosts the same and I've eventually built my remaining 20 chainrasp and my last modded Hexwraith and primed them.

So 34 models underway and when done I'll have 2 (and a bit) thousand point army done and dusted. Intend to plough on tonight.

Soldato
Hahaha nice, I have 30 Chaos Cultists (well 20 + 10 Neophyte Hybrids I'm gonna covert/sub in as Cultists) in the post.

Gonna take my time though, I've painted up about 2.5k Grey Knights and bang on 2K Tyranids since end of Aug 2018, the Grey Knights are good, the Tyranids.. some are a bit rushed.

I'm slowboating these Chaos though, in no rush to get them done, and will try and do them as nice as I can.

Soldato
Hahaha nice, I have 30 Chaos Cultists (well 20 + 10 Neophyte Hybrids I'm gonna covert/sub in as Cultists) in the post.

Gonna take my time though, I've painted up about 2.5k Grey Knights and bang on 2K Tyranids since end of Aug 2018, the Grey Knights are good, the Tyranids.. some are a bit rushed.

I'm slowboating these Chaos though, in no rush to get them done, and will try and do them as nice as I can.

Apologies if you've mentioned it previously in this thread, but what sort of Chaos army are you going for?

Soldato
Apologies if you've mentioned it previously in this thread, but what sort of Chaos army are you going for?

Hahaha your fine, no I didn't say.

So, I'm going 2k, 3 detachments. 1 detachment Black Legion, 1 renegade/raiders (whatever that one that you can adv/charge) and then a 3rd detachment of Khorne Chaos Daemons.

All the CSM will be painted as Black Legion though. The Khorne I will paint red(ish) but no where near as dark as GW paint them, if you Google the "imp" bad guy from the 2016 Doom PC game, I'm going for that colour.

The Black Legion will have cheap HQ's, cultists, obliterators.

The renegade - 3 squads of raptors, 2 squads of berzerkers, 2 rhino's, chaos lord with jump pack.

Daemons will be 2x Daemon Prince, 10 Bloodletters and a Soul Grinder.

Soldato
Hahaha your fine, no I didn't say.

So, I'm going 2k, 3 detachments. 1 detachment Black Legion, 1 renegade/raiders (whatever that one that you can adv/charge) and then a 3rd detachment of Khorne Chaos Daemons.

All the CSM will be painted as Black Legion though. The Khorne I will paint red(ish) but no where near as dark as GW paint them, if you Google the "imp" bad guy from the 2016 Doom PC game, I'm going for that colour.

The Black Legion will have cheap HQ's, cultists, obliterators.

The renegade - 3 squads of raptors, 2 squads of berzerkers, 2 rhino's, chaos lord with jump pack.

Daemons will be 2x Daemon Prince, 10 Bloodletters and a Soul Grinder.

That looks like it will be a really fun list to play and you've certainly got a nice spread of different units in there. I've always the idea of running a Chaos Marine/Khorne daemons army. 2 Daemon princes is going to be particularly nasty.

Soldato
I've eventually made some progress on my nighthaunt after months of inertia.

Got my 10 Harridans needing drybrush and edge highlighting, my 3 spirit hosts the same and I've eventually built my remaining 20 chainrasp and my last modded Hexwraith and primed them.

So 34 models underway and when done I'll have 2 (and a bit) thousand point army done and dusted. Intend to plough on tonight.
Get a move on, slacker! I've got some Stormcast waiting to panel your ghosties into next week :D

Soldato
That looks like it will be a really fun list to play and you've certainly got a nice spread of different units in there. I've always the idea of running a Chaos Marine/Khorne daemons army. 2 Daemon princes is going to be particularly nasty.

Thanks, yea I don't play competitively, I have 3 priorities when put army army together, first and most important I take the models I like the look of, second is then try and make it balanced, third priority is then to make it strong in game.

Soldato
Thanks, yea I don't play competitively, I have 3 priorities when put army army together, first and most important I take the models I like the look of, second is then try and make it balanced, third priority is then to make it strong in game.

Yeh I like to play the same way, spamming the same unit 5 times because it's really strong doesn't appeal to me. However if a model looks really cool and is fun to build and paint, then that's what will always take precedence for me.

I say that, after losing to my friends Orks for the 3rd time, maybe I should start thinking a bit differently :p

Soldato
Only recently got back into 8th and my game on Sunday was my first proper game.

1K Nidzilla list VS Custodes

Spearhead detachment, total 4 CP.

Kraken hive fleet

- x1 Hive Tyrant: Heavy venom cannon, rending claws, psychic scream, catalyst, chamelonic mutation
- x1 Neurothrope: The Horror
- x3 Ripper Swarms
- x2 Carnifex: Deathspitters, heavy venom cannon, enhanced senses, spore cysts
- x1 Carnifex: Deathspitters, stranglethorn cannon, enhanced senses, spore cysts, thresher sycthe
- x1 Exorcrine
- x1 Tyrannofex: Acid spray

His army looked something the below:

- Captain
- x3 Custodes guards
- x3 Custodes guards
- x4 jetbikes
- x1 telemon dreadnought.

Game was a new Chapter approved objective game. Total 5 objective all worth 1 VP at the end of each battle round and one objective decided by D6 to be worth 2VP per round.

Deployment was dawn of war.

Turn 1 Custodes:

First turn went to custodes. Both units of x3 man guard squads moved to an objective each, the dreadnought moved out of cover and the captain was beside the dreadnought. Bikes were in deepstrike. The only shooting was the dreadnought at the Tyrannofex which knocked 11 wounds off it! That dreadnought was hitting on 2s and re-rolling 1s due to the captain so was pretty effective.

Turn 1 Tyranids:
I had deployed everything on the board and was holding 2 objectives straight off the bat. The dice roll for double VP objective went to one I had control of which was good news. T-fex lumbered forward, as did the carnifexes to get into deathspitter range. Psychic phase went well with the Neurothrope casting the Horror on the big dread and then smiting 2 wounds off a quard squad. Tyrant did the same but only managed 2 wounds with combine smite & psychic scream. I pumped all of the Carnifexes & Hive tryant into the guard squad leaving only 1 guy remaining. I popped the pathogenic slime strat for the Exocrine and shot at the dread. Nothing got through! T-fex acid sprayed the other guard squad but due to degradation & movement he managed nothing. Felt a little worried with my big bugs flopping.

Turn 2 Custodes:
The objective rolled in my favour again as I already controlled it. So the bikes came in via DS next to the rippers, hive tryant and trio of fexes. No other movement from custodes. Shooting involved the guard squad kncoking the final wounds off the T-fex and killing it. The dread opened up on the Exocrine reducing it to 6 wounds and degrading it. The bikes mowed down all the rippers with their Hurricane bolters. Charge phase kicked off with the bikes laying into the Hive Tyrant who missed his overwatch & suffered 4 wounds. He struck back and killed one jetbike.

Turn 2 Tyranids:
The Neuro moved closer to the dread to get into smite range and the Hive Tyrant feel back out of combat, all the fexes moved closer to the bikes. Psychic phase involved another successful cast of the horror on the dread and 3 mortal wounds from smite going through. The hive tyrant smited & physic screamed the bikes to remove 1 more from play. The carnifexes split fire opened up on the guard squad and failed to do anything significant & then knocked another 3 wounds off the dread. Exocrine opened up the second guard squad and killed one. Combat time and I charged all 3 carnifexes & hive tyrant into the bikers, 1 carnifex failed, overwatch did nothing. Carnifexes took out one biker with a combo of mortal wounds on the charge & attacks. The hive tyrant then finished the final biker off. Felt happy about this as the Custodes army now had a super dread at half wounds, a captain and 3 guards.

Turn 3 Custodes:
The objective roll was the sole unoccupied objective. No movement other than the captain moving towards the middle objective. The dread split fired on the Neuro & hive tyrant, severely crippling the neuro & failing to harm the tyrant. The largest guard squad then toppled the Neuro with shooting.

Turn 3 Tyranids:
I moved the carnifexes & hive tyranids towards the middle objective leaving one carnifex behind to hold the other one. Psychic involved smite & psychic scream at the super dread. Smite was denied but psychic scream got through causing 1 mortal wound. The exocrine opened up shooting the same guard squad and fluffed badly due to degradation but managed to kill one, leaving a sole guard remaining. The hive tyrant opened up on the other sole guard and finished him, destroying the unit. The stanglethorn fex killed the other sole guard, meaning both 3 man squads were now wiped. The remaining two venom cannon fexes brought down the dread with a total of 6 mortal wounds from the cannons.

At this point the Custodes conceded with a final VP score of 9-4 to the Tyranids. The only remaining model was the Custodes captain on full wounds. The Tyranids had all 3 carnifex with full wounds, Hive Tyrant on 8 & Exorcrine on 6.

Happy with the result but man they really take some killing! I'm glad melee didn't feature too much as that was my main fear.

Soldato
Spent today varnishing.

Despite some of the horror stories you see on the internet and general negativity, I found the munitorum varnish (GWs spray varnish) to be pretty good. Put the can in my pocket for about an hour beforehand so it warmed up whilst I was doing other things. Then shook the can for a good 5 minutes. Weather was around 11c, 85% humidy. Spray in my garage, which is unheated and not particularly well insulated but the doors were closed.

150+ models done today, no frosting or misting at all. Very pelased with the results, the finish is as stated, satin. You get a slight shine if you get the light right, not matt, but certainly not glassy at all. Makes all of the colours look more vibrant.

My only critism is it made where I had painted Blood for the Blood Gods technical paint of some of the chainaxes blades go really dull, although I am sure I could go over it again with more of the paint.

Soldato
Dreadscythe finished, spirit hosts finished, last modded Hexwraith finished.

Got 20 chainrasp left to finish my 2k nighthaunt army. The chainrasp are primed and I've based the oxide on the bodies, probably get them finished based, and washed tomorrow, make a start on drybrush then hopefully finish off Wednesday night.

87 models all in, been a long job (made longer by my procrastinating) but the end is at last in sight.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done of the completed army. :D

Back
Top Bottom