Tabletop Warhammer?

Caporegime
I don't get genestealer cults. Surely if the 'weapons' they're using are as good as the stats suggest then every imperial force would use them as they're basically just common tools. It makes no sense!

Soldato
I don't get genestealer cults. Surely if the 'weapons' they're using are as good as the stats suggest then every imperial force would use them as they're basically just common tools. It makes no sense!

They are not an army I could ever get into I must admit, I don't buy the whole fluff behind it. I am 50/50 on some of the models also, I like the Neophyte Hybrids though, so I just use them as Chaos Cultists, basically use the most human like arms and heads, cut off the genestealer logos, only model them with the autoguns/shotguns and flamers and even the heavy stubber, which is all WYSIWYG legal as per the CSM codex and job is a good one. They blend in really well.

But I agree they all look a bit like a rabble of slightly mutated miners. I get the genestealers laid the dna (or whatever) then the people slowly started to mutate over generations then followed the genestealer lords, but they are still basically a mind controlled rable. One thinks they woudlnt be miltary trained, organised in any particular way, so at best a horde army. I dunno. No doubt some will love them.

Associate
Hey folks. Once again looking to get back into 40k and was just wondering where abouts you guys find people to play with? Or whether there's any of you guys that play together in the London area somewhere. Don't really want to start playing with, well, the extra geeky bad personal hygiene types.

Commissario
I was lucky to find a local group (or rather a friend did) via facebook, you can probably try a search for wargaming groups on facebook or I think GW used to have a list of local clubs.

Depending on where you are in London there are probably a few games stores near you that will do gaming nights, otherwise it's basically luck and discrete enquiries to find out if any of your work mates play ;)

Soldato
My Blades of Khorne are going up against Gloomspite Gitz - in particular, a Troggoth heavy army.

I'm still a little stuck on my strategy for tonight's game, I'm thinking I might forego my usual large mobs of Bloodreavers and go for smaller units in order to farm Blood Tithe. I might try and marry it up with some bravery debuffs - Troggoths have fairly low bravery, so deducting one or two can be devastating. Also considering a Reavers of Vengeance build so my Bloodthirster can attack twice. Choices, choices! This new Battletome gives so many options it's a real breath of fresh air for Khorne.

Soldato
How'd the game go?
Very well, thanks.

The Reapers of Vengeance command ability, None Shall Live, was absolutely brutal. Used it twice and it basically accounted for half his army (three troggoths and a leader in turn 2, and then six troggoths in turn 4). Bravery bomb plan only worked on Grots, so not much use, and my Slaughterpriests were as dependable as ever. My Wrath-Axe was on the table for three turns running and just followed his General around until it killed him.

He conceded at the end of Turn 4 with only a wizard left on the table.

Associate
I was lucky to find a local group (or rather a friend did) via facebook, you can probably try a search for wargaming groups on facebook or I think GW used to have a list of local clubs.

Depending on where you are in London there are probably a few games stores near you that will do gaming nights, otherwise it's basically luck and discrete enquiries to find out if any of your work mates play ;)

Thanks Werewolf. Found a Facebook page that looks half decent. Sadly I'm self employed and work alone so no work colleagues to play with.
Grabbed myself an Eldar start collecting set. Seemed decent value for what's in it. Would quite like a heavy support and close combat focused army, not sure how realistic that is but I'll have a look over some army lists for ideas.
Anywhere I can look for beginners painting tips? Was always hopeless at it when I was younger and would like to have it at least a good tabletop standard, with some bigger units painted above that. I know there's plenty of YouTube channels around for tutorials, any suggestions for one?

Soldato
I'd be careful trawling the internet for painting tutorial videos.

The GW ones are generally ok, but the risk you run, is you will find pro painters, giving pro painting tips, showing off pro level painted miniatures.

You've said good tabletop standard, so really you want to be focusing on base coat/wash/drybrush. Don't worry about wet blending, and really I'd keep edge highlighting to a bare minimum.

Soldato
I'd be careful trawling the internet for painting tutorial videos.

The GW ones are generally ok, but the risk you run, is you will find pro painters, giving pro painting tips, showing off pro level painted miniatures.

You've said good tabletop standard, so really you want to be focusing on base coat/wash/drybrush. Don't worry about wet blending, and really I'd keep edge highlighting to a bare minimum.

I had that, painting envy :p

Get to a level you yourself are happy with and own it, don't compare to someone who has been painting 10-20 years you'll just drive yourself crazy.

Soldato
Moved on to doing a Stormcast Army now that I've finished my Nighthaunt, I've just realised I've never posted my full Nighthaunt arm picture as I haven't got one. Here a couple of my last models, one of my Dreadscythe WIP and one of my converted Hexwraiths also WIP;

DmNGWMT.jpg

595klWA.jpg

Also a few of my Stormcast, done very little yet tbh :p

6T1kDKF.jpg

dMC6iE5.jpg

pQElXTO.jpg

n7UPZsB.jpg

Decided to make up my own scheme, pretty similar to one of the schemes recomended in the Stormcast book. The last Stormcast with the shield, I was complaining to @Pookie Bear I had one of those days with complete sausage fingers so the edging on the cloak on that model is pretty horrible but being honest I couldn't be bothered to correct it, it passes muster from a distance :p

Soldato
The way I see it, my eyes are worse than my camera's lens, so I try not to judge myself too harshly based on my photos :D
Once they're on the table, all that really matters is whether they look reasonably similar and the basing is similar.

We have a game planned for Sunday, don't we? I'm going to try and paint up a few extra Khorne so I can manage 2k. Or I can easily field 2k of SCE again.

Soldato
The way I see it, my eyes are worse than my camera's lens, so I try not to judge myself too harshly based on my photos :D
Once they're on the table, all that really matters is whether they look reasonably similar and the basing is similar.

We have a game planned for Sunday, don't we? I'm going to try and paint up a few extra Khorne so I can manage 2k. Or I can easily field 2k of SCE again.

Ermmm we do? :p

Back
Top Bottom