Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Blood Warrior/Berzerker conversions. So much better over stock Berzerker models, which are IMO pretty awful.

Really pleased with them, this is one I knocked up this afternoon.

IMG-20190812-200226.jpg

Soldato
Took my lad to the Newcastle games workshop today and to be fair to them they were awesome with him.

Spent two hours giving him a one to one painting lesson which he loved and they were really patient and engaged with him. Then they ran a small 40k battle for us to let him practice and again they were great, kept him to the rules but made it fun and that lasted an hour as well.

They get some negative press at times but credit where it's due the staff in the Newcastle were great today and he's already asked to go back to paint with them again some time soon.

Soldato
Took my lad to the Newcastle games workshop today and to be fair to them they were awesome with him.

Spent two hours giving him a one to one painting lesson which he loved and they were really patient and engaged with him. Then they ran a small 40k battle for us to let him practice and again they were great, kept him to the rules but made it fun and that lasted an hour as well.

They get some negative press at times but credit where it's due the staff in the Newcastle were great today and he's already asked to go back to paint with them again some time soon.
There's one guy whose a little odd, but harmless, and even including him the staff there have always been really nice. A lot of turnover recently with two of them moving on to manage other shops (Sunderland and Nottingham) but the new guy Paddy is canny, as is the new manager. I might pop in today for some more contrast paints to round out my collection.

Soldato
Few bits of scenery from the Warcry starter kit, not 100% done yet but near enough :)
They look bloody brilliant!

I've just finished my Untamed Beasts and Iron Golems using nearly nothing but contrast paints and I think they look pretty good. I'm gonna go for a sandstone look on the terrain. Cypher Lords first though! I actually feel like I'm going to finish my projects with Warcry which is a miracle (and all down to contrast paints meaning I can get some meaningful amounts of minis painted in limited time).

Soldato
There's one guy whose a little odd, but harmless, and even including him the staff there have always been really nice. A lot of turnover recently with two of them moving on to manage other shops (Sunderland and Nottingham) but the new guy Paddy is canny, as is the new manager. I might pop in today for some more contrast paints to round out my collection.

It was the bloke called Paddy who was helping him, spot on chap.

Soldato
They look bloody brilliant!

I've just finished my Untamed Beasts and Iron Golems using nearly nothing but contrast paints and I think they look pretty good. I'm gonna go for a sandstone look on the terrain. Cypher Lords first though! I actually feel like I'm going to finish my projects with Warcry which is a miracle (and all down to contrast paints meaning I can get some meaningful amounts of minis painted in limited time).

Thanks, the steps were pretty simple, just took some patience rather than a lot of skill which is lucky as I'm still in the enthusiastic amateur stage!

I'm planning on using contrast paints heavily for the Untamed Beasts as they seem almost designed for them. Not sure on the golems yet, need to decide on a colour scheme, I was tempted to run them as Stone Golems as the effect would be pretty easy but visually quite cool.

Soldato
Thanks, the steps were pretty simple, just took some patience rather than a lot of skill which is lucky as I'm still in the enthusiastic amateur stage!

I'm planning on using contrast paints heavily for the Untamed Beasts as they seem almost designed for them. Not sure on the golems yet, need to decide on a colour scheme, I was tempted to run them as Stone Golems as the effect would be pretty easy but visually quite cool.

I've just painted mine in a black/bronze/iron colour scheme with white flesh. Pretty happy with the results, I'll pop a picture up if you want.

Soldato
@ricky1981 any online guide for that bronze?

It's honestly quite a simple process, a few steps but they're all fairly idiot-proof which is lucky for me!

1. Prime black

2. Heavy drybrush with 50/50 bronze/dark brown

3. Medium drybrush with bronze

4. Wash with nihilakh oxide/lahmian medium (1:3 ratio) - if you don't have nihilakh oxide then use a pale green/blue mix of paint and thin it ~8:1 (medium to paint)

5. Wait for it to dry completely, repeat if desired

6. Light drybrush with bronze

7. Light drybrush with 50/50 bronze/gold

8. Very light drybrush with some silver added to the last mix

Soldato
For sure! I'll be painting scenery for at least another week or so as I have to grab a spare hour here or there between work and family so seeing other people's efforts is awesome :)

Pictures of the two I've done, flesh doesn't look all that well defined but it is in person (its 1 part Nuln Oil, 1 part Guiliman Flesh, 2 part medium I used to wash it with)

5rR5iHF.jpg

eOGArSu.jpg

Ojor0yy.jpg

Used some slate I have spare from doing my garden and smashed it up to add something more interesting to the base.

Soldato
They look terrific, much meaner vibe to them than the box art! I'd say you've nailed the creepy flesh tones as well!

I'm temped to get a second set of the golems on eBay and run them as Stone golems, seen people doing similar with Stormcast and the effect is pretty impressive but (seemingly) low effort.

If you aren't on it already then the reddit Warcry channel and discord are both pretty friendly places with some good inspiration and a bunch of helpful people :)

Soldato
They look terrific, much meaner vibe to them than the box art! I'd say you've nailed the creepy flesh tones as well!

I'm temped to get a second set of the golems on eBay and run them as Stone golems, seen people doing similar with Stormcast and the effect is pretty impressive but (seemingly) low effort.

If you aren't on it already then the reddit Warcry channel and discord are both pretty friendly places with some good inspiration and a bunch of helpful people :)

Cheers, I'm tempted to go after a second Golems set but only because my lad wants bigger battles :p

Soldato
It's a very slippery slope, I've got all of the Warcry warbands waiting for assembly and about 8 of the chaos ones where I've bought the cards and I'm slowly picking up cheap second hand models to run my own creations. I feel like a bit of a kid again :)

Back
Top Bottom