Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
It's a very slippery slope, I've got all of the Warcry warbands waiting for assembly and about 8 of the chaos ones where I've bought the cards and I'm slowly picking up cheap second hand models to run my own creations. I feel like a bit of a kid again :)

I started collecting again at 33 and I know what you mean haha.

Soldato
That's what I did to, I'd built up a pretty crazy backlog of mini-based games, something like 700 minis across all of them and I just wasn't getting the time to ever feel I'd get through them all.

Don't regret it, loving painting the level of sculpts in Warcry and my daughter is a big fan too. The warbands aren't necessarily all that well balanced when you throw in some of the non-chaos ones but it's great fun and the randomness really helps keep it fresh each time. We've even taken to rolling dice to pick our warbands some of the time so we don't just pick a favourite and get bored.

Associate
Anyone have any good ideas how how to darken something overall or tone it down? I have done the below and overall I am happy with the effect and the look but it has been said it is a bit bright which it is and I do want it bright but if there is an easy way to tone it down I may try it.

y4mPAtY6QgKZ53Rt6w9oxNxZk_6pROE1OX8poeFhBLnFjpT0_9TFZvaMx7HU_ymt9O_MeQ9pQh5cnRI_MKnNddFKv6tjopnP0omw86q3BIrx5TugZ5Fu4RN7iEliG2RreKX9bhfObJraKN8afF41q4YiURwxCtSEjbRLVgEuYcJQS-f_rVWfPB_9OumC75JLxlZioGzSEyK50V4wl2UFQv16Q

s!An12fVz8bwYS7lPs8vMop4nsp94d

Associate
Well I added a very thin wash of Nightshade over the top. 40% shade 60% water. Its not quite as smooth as I would have liked but toned it down a bit. May redo it all yet but may just finish the base and see how it looks overall.

y4mHsUhhJ2_vhF_OEnmc7QQILVhAHOtOPXw3Julc-KjS0PlNjw5kV3p392c4TAJ7D2xDJQJPaG_e0HKzDjLeXr7MHn7-mxQYmPV9x2k855VSCnj7bhIINoOQE78vW7NVBOJlXYsL7wmzi6BiYJ0Psg3sve52oNsrhyHwed1OYQUqn3AIAZJPL13mWBGTCTJyt2nRggc6iXmNbC76Tn6gK3AcA

y4mr92d_dWJToTbcUVrYSHa2QIzDUexUqmya8AF05LKzIsoRBT0Hi0F4SCbCtZn0sZpAXdsvzy0vH9b4EnA55pnulsV01U3x1S7iFedq5UjQT1tlw2gvBxU2IeJ_RaNM2FaK7DZiso-gUezkGEsAMjC165J3voc8lp4Y-MP9dI_sxC3Iai5oR_96mTpJSoeN8Y7dehibwFBMGJKDL_Vh_YNgA

Associate
It’s not as neat as you think and in places the dry brush is too textured but did a lot of it in a hurry. The wings is just easy airbrush blending of 3 colours. I wouldn’t even try and do it with a brush.

The main body is 5 different browns airbrushed in various ways to give an overall effect and highlight.

I’m painting it all up as a playable army. Going to spend some more time on branches and add some more lighter tones as it’s a bit dark overall and the blue/green makes it hard to see differences.

Soldato
I intend to do the latter but always end up treating each mini like the former, hence why I never complete a bloody thing :(:p

Yea swings and roundabouts. My brother and I both started back into 40k around August last year, in that space of times he's painted half an Ork army, and I'm very nearly finished my 3rd 2000 pt army.

His orks do look really good though.

Associate
It’s about finding a balance. I try and keep them looking as good as I can but I can’t spend 8 hours on a Dryad. The character models always get a bit more though.

Thankfully these Sylvaneth are easy enough and mainly the same colours. Going to try and paint in sub assemblies now though so can use more airbrush blends. Wanted built models fast but it worked against me in the end.

Soldato
I have had to go completely the opposite direction in the last few months as my wife had twins in June. I would spend weeks working on a single squad, and now I get an hour a day to myself if I'm lucky. I've turned to contrast paints for nearly everything apart from metallics and so far I'm happy with the results - even though the only thing I've been working on for the last month has been Warcry warbands.

My Warhammer 40k Conquest magazine subscription is just building up in the corner - I figure by the time the twins are 5 I'll be in a position to assemble and they can paint them :D

Soldato
Yea swings and roundabouts. My brother and I both started back into 40k around August last year, in that space of times he's painted half an Ork army, and I'm very nearly finished my 3rd 2000 pt army.

His orks do look really good though.

I went speed painting with my Nighthaunt army and that worked quite well due to the nature of the minis themselves and how a simple scheme can be effective.

Apart from that in the go I've got; 3 Warcry warbands, about 1500 points of Stormcast in various stages, 1500 points of Death Guard in various stages, Abaddon (untouched), some space marines in my own colour scheme I've been tinkering with and about 1k Beastmen I've assembled and painted about 4 minis :p

I'm being pretty conscious right now of avoiding buying minis as I've got enough to keep me painting for years at my speed :p

Soldato
I went speed painting with my Nighthaunt army and that worked quite well due to the nature of the minis themselves and how a simple scheme can be effective.

Apart from that in the go I've got; 3 Warcry warbands, about 1500 points of Stormcast in various stages, 1500 points of Death Guard in various stages, Abaddon (untouched), some space marines in my own colour scheme I've been tinkering with and about 1k Beastmen I've assembled and painted about 4 minis :p

I'm being pretty conscious right now of avoiding buying minis as I've got enough to keep me painting for years at my speed :p
Your Nighthaunt are really cool.

I'm going to try and hold off getting anything else until I have done more of what I have. Although I keep thinking that some Savage Orruks for a new Warcry warband might be cool - and easy to paint!

Soldato
Gotta avoid buying, I try not to have any backlog, only a little when I need to spend whatever it is to get the free postage at Wayland Games.

My backlog is about 13 or so Khorne Berzerkers depending on how many more conversions I can make with the bits I have.

Back
Top Bottom