Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
@Kenai & @kindai

Thanks, you’ve both answered with all I & my son need to know, thanks.

Looks like I was wrong. I was under the impression that there would be an official guide, a correct way of painting these miniatures. It’s good to hear that there is flexibility, and you can put your own stamp on them.
I think I got the wrong impression and thought things were more ridged when I recently watched a Youtube video, the chap spent three years painting his models only for Warhammer to remove about fifty percent in the new tenth edition. I guess this only affects official games.

I agree, he’s picked a challenging place to start, I think the gold base coat is the best place to start though.

Soldato
@Kenai & @kindai

Looks like I was wrong. I was under the impression that there would be an official guide, a correct way of painting these miniatures. It’s good to hear that there is flexibility, and you can put your own stamp on them.
I think I got the wrong impression and thought things were more ridged when I recently watched a Youtube video, the chap spent three years painting his models only for Warhammer to remove about fifty percent in the new tenth edition. I guess this only affects official games.

I agree, he’s picked a challenging place to start, I think the gold base coat is the best place to start though.

You'd need to end up in tournaments with particularly anal people to be worried about how 'official' things are - even then, I don't think anyone would complain if your Thousand Sons were painted in Ultramarine Blue rather than Thousand Sons Blue - the problems occur if you want to play special faction rules but clearly haven't painted as that faction - for example, you'd probably get complaints if you turned up with a load Ultramarines painted Space Marines and tried to play as Blood Angel Space Marines.

Associate
@Kenai & @kindai

Checkout Warhipsters channel on youtube, loads of painting tutorials on there.

I have learnt so much from watching them.

Hope your sons painting goes well and most of all he enjoys it.

Soldato
I was naughty. I've only finally set down at my hobby desk for the first time in months so I treated myself to the Pro Acryl Transparent set and 3 more addons for my Kraken black racks.

Need to finish off my spacewolves that a stripped in March!!!

@roman59 I just spotted Scale75 metallic's on your desk! How you finding them?

Associate
I was naughty. I've only finally set down at my hobby desk for the first time in months so I treated myself to the Pro Acryl Transparent set and 3 more addons for my Kraken black racks.

Need to finish off my spacewolves that a stripped in March!!!

@roman59 I just spotted Scale75 metallic's on your desk! How you finding them?
Really like the Scale 75 metallics, especially Dwarven Gold, Petroleum Gray from Scale 75 is really good for highlighting blacks too.

Pro Acryl Light Bronze is also perfect for gold edge highlights as well :)

Most of the metallics on the White Dwarf were Scale 75.

Soldato
yup they are my favorite golds by far so far. Not sure how they airbrush tho, I picked up the gold set and tempted to try some of the others. Can't remember who recommended them on here before.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's happened! He's embraced the Emperors light.

Assembled Warp Talons last night but not starting until my new brush arrives. Think I've been struggling using wrong brush for wrong job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of my goodies have started to arrive :)

Finding myself use my magnifier lamp less so was trying out my brother inlaws magnifier glasses which I found to be brilliant but I found them uncomfortable for longer periods. Dug into my nose and was pita to fit around my glasses.

Picked up a pair of magnifying glasses but with a headband!! So much more comfortable. 19 snoops off Amazon

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought when I started this hobby I'd enjoy painting tanks and stuff instead of troops but actually it's the opposite.
I'm trying to finish up my Predator tank. I weigh up whether I feel something is going to add enough value to warrant doing so. For example, I've decided it looks decent enough without any edge highlighting so I shant bother.
I'm going to have very different coloured models because I'm kind of having bits of chaos everywhere so I might just unify them all with a base that fits all of them as well as it can do

Associate

The 4 meter x 3 metre insulated log cabin arrived yesterday afternoon, just finished assembly for the day, the roofing felt will be installed in the morning.

Really looking forward to moving all my hobby stuff in there once its completed, actually impressed with the amount of space in there.

Just ordered some Sikkens 5 year timber stain/treatment £87 and I thought hobby paint was expensive ;)

Cheers All

Last edited:
Soldato
All my goodies came :)

Aiming now to start to fill some holes in my paint collection now.

Need some awesome yellows, oranges and purples and bluey blues!! One other reason I kinda dislike GW paints. Being colour blind don’t know what colour half of them are hah

Last edited:
Associate

The 4 meter x 3 metre insulated log cabin arrived yesterday afternoon, just finished assembly for the day, the roofing felt will be installed in the morning.

Really looking forward to moving all my hobby stuff in there once its completed, actually impressed with the amount of space in there.

Just ordered some Sikkens 5 year timber stain/treatment £87 and I thought hobby paint was expensive ;)

Cheers All

Lovely!

I actually based mine first with the Sikkens rubbol primer then painted over the top. It has lasted very well considering the application was before covid. It needs to be redone now however as some of the wood knots are seeping water.

Having a dedicated space is the best thing I did.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Associate
Lovely!

I actually based mine first with the Sikkens rubbol primer then painted over the top. It has lasted very well considering the application was before covid. It needs to be redone now however as some of the wood knots are seeping water.

Having a dedicated space is the best thing I did.

Good luck with it and enjoy.
Thanks, managed to get the first coat of Sikkens on it today which I am really pleased about after the amount of rain we had here in Suffolk last Thursday and Friday.

Fitted the insulated floor yesterday and also managed to felt the roof as well, the double glazed doors and window will be fitted tomorrow along with all the fascias and trim.

I will start fitting it all out after that.

Oh and one of my Airpod Pros fell out of my ear and yes you guessed it, it went straight into the pot of Sikkens, luckily it still works ;)

Cheers All

Back
Top Bottom