*** Tado Mini Review ***

Soldato
I think this might be the thermostat for me. Anyone else controlling it via the Windows Phone app?

I'm looking to buy from the Indian takeaway place; I just want to confirm that the version they have is the v3.

Man of Honour
Just picked one up and installed it today. I've only gone for the thermostat initially and may replace the controller by the boiler which is now only controlling the hot water later.

Install was easy - straight swap for existing wall thermostat.

Soldato
I think this might be the thermostat for me. Anyone else controlling it via the Windows Phone app?

I'm looking to buy from the Indian takeaway place; I just want to confirm that the version they have is the v3.

My wife uses the app on her windows phone. It works fine. Not as nice as the Android version but is perfectly functional.

Soldato
So these are down to £119 and I now have radiators, although the gas supply has been capped off. I think it might be time to get one!

Is there any advantage to renting over buying?

Soldato
So I picked one of these up and got it installed with a little help from my friendly electrician downstairs. First thoughts are that it is much more attractive than the beige dial thing it replaced! The Windows Phone software seems intuitive, but I am sure the program I have set will need some fine tuning.

Permabanned
Went with the Tado rental for £48 for the year, I looked in to Nest and didnt like the idea of the heat link install. The Tado should be a straight swap for my wired thermostat so cant see any install problems... That said, I do fancy a google home at some point so may switch to Nest after the year is up (by which point V4 will be out).

Soldato
I've got the Thermostat in the lounge and have recently added to Tado TRVs in to our bedroom and the guest room. So far everything seems to be working well together. The bedrooms are kept cool during the day and in the evening our bedroom heats up an hour before bedtime so its nice and warm when we get there and then heats up again in the morning before we get up.

Hitman
Soldato
I swapped out our two-zoned system for Tado the other day. Was a straight forward swap. I was originally torn between Hive/Nest/Tado but lack of power availability where the two thermostats would go and the need to only have one extension kit meant it was a bit of a no brainer. Never dabbled in electrics before so I'm glad the house hasn't burnt down yet!

Hitman
Soldato
I think it depends on what it's replacing and what you're installing. This was our system:

Zone 1:
Programmer: Danfoss TP9000
Thermostat: Danfoss TS2​
Zone 2:
Programmer/Thermostat: Danfoss TP5000 Si​

This is what each were replaced with: (Straight swap, some cables were terminated as they're no longer needed)

Zone 1:
Programmer: Tado Extension Kit - wired
Thermostat: Tado Thermostat - battery powered, wireless​
Zone 2:
Programmer/Thermostat: Tado Thermostat - battery powered, wired as a relay (no power from mains)​

There's a manual here you can use / look at: http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/wcssto...hRes/std.lang.all/ti/on/Tado_Installation.pdf

Soldato
So got one of these with the extension kit in the end and installed it tonight. My setup is boiler, controller and ext thermostat. My install:
Vvqw9p7.jpg
RQ1j79U.jpg

A few things I guess for those interested/on the fence:
1. This is super easy to install yourself, I hate electronics and all it took was a few hours. The extension box in particular was essentially plug and play - zero rewiring needed.
2. You need a PC to get the instructions, it wont work on phones at all. You essentially stick in all your setup and it gives you step - by step instructions on installing. You have to buy the product to get these as it wont give you access until you enter in serial codes etc...
3. You may need electrical tape, and a spare electrical box especially if your replacing a wireless thermostat (they say to put the old wireless unit back after making you do some re-wiring but its impossible to make it fit safely)
4. I got the v2 thermostat, and it works fine with Alexa - so not sure why they are pushing that only the v3 can.
5. The app is some confusing **** to start off with, even now I have no idea if its set up correct but we shall see.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly I can't get the location function to work on my Windows Phone. The app shows me as away from home at all times and Tado aren't receiving any location information.

The app has been updated a number of times, but still no joy...

Soldato
Is tado the one where all the schedules are held on a server so if you're Internet goes down so does your heating? I think in all going to stick with evohome but it's good to see competitors. Nest is just a glorified thermostat.

Soldato
Is tado the one where all the schedules are held on a server so if you're Internet goes down so does your heating? I think in all going to stick with evohome but it's good to see competitors. Nest is just a glorified thermostat.

Pretty sure it maintains the programmed schedules, but obviously loses the presence detection and weather monitoring

Soldato
I've had the Tado for just over a year. Decided to look into how much it has saved me...

By my calculations, a whopping £34... Not good! Certainly doesn't justify it's cost for me.

Install date was August 2017
September 2016 to September 2017 meter reading difference was 420 ft^3
December 2017 to December 2017 meter reading difference was 377 ft^3

A difference of 43ft^3, which works out at 1348kWh, costing £34 on my tariff.

Soldato
I've had the Tado for just over a year. Decided to look into how much it has saved me...

By my calculations, a whopping £34... Not good! Certainly doesn't justify it's cost for me.

Install date was August 2017
September 2016 to September 2017 meter reading difference was 420 ft^3
December 2017 to December 2017 meter reading difference was 377 ft^3

A difference of 43ft^3, which works out at 1348kWh, costing £34 on my tariff.

Where do I even start with what's wrong with that comparison? September 2016 to September 2017 compared with December 2017 to December 2017 is clearly wrong, not just because of what I assume is a typo, but because you are comparing different date ranges in different years, that takes no account of average temp's, your settings, your unit price then vs now or how the product was used etc.

Back
Top Bottom