*** Tado Mini Review ***

Soldato
I wanted to ask this - I have a new combi boiler in my kitchen where the scheduling/timing controls are integrated into the boiler and then a analogue dial thermostat in another room for the temperature. WOuld I just need to replace my thermostat with the Tado smart one and plug in the bridge and off I go?

I've also sent Tado an email so will see what they say.

Yes. My programmer is a separate unit below the boiler but it should be the same concept. I just set the program to constant for heating and let the thermostat do the work.

I was really worried about battery usage but iOS is showing 2% battery usage per day. Well worth it! The graph when you rotate the app shows when the heating has come on.

The way the programs work on tado is you set the time you normally go to sleep and preferred temperature, then you can set multiple times of the day with different temps. The heating will only ever come on if you are in/near the house.

E.g. I have set "sleep" during the week from 11pm to 7am and then a "morning" temp of 18c set for 7am to 9am. After that is is "day" set to 20c. Weekend is different.

alx

alx

Soldato
Yes. My programmer is a separate unit below the boiler but it should be the same concept. I just set the program to constant for heating and let the thermostat do the work.

I was really worried about battery usage but iOS is showing 2% battery usage per day. Well worth it! The graph when you rotate the app shows when the heating has come on.

The way the programs work on tado is you set the time you normally go to sleep and preferred temperature, then you can set multiple times of the day with different temps. The heating will only ever come on if you are in/near the house.

E.g. I have set "sleep" during the week from 11pm to 7am and then a "morning" temp of 18c set for 7am to 9am. After that is is "day" set to 20c. Weekend is different.

Thanks for the reply.

Tado replied and confirmed what you said - I just turn the boiler to constantly on, replace the thermostat and plug in the bridge. They also gave me a code for 5% off which was nice!

Cheers for the info, my mate has a Tado as well so he was showing me the app yesterday, looks good :).

alx

alx

Soldato
Quick question, once you've purchased a Tado and set up an account online do you need to register the device before any installation instructions will be sent?

I've submitted my thermostat and boiler details online already.

alx

alx

Soldato
My Tado arrived yesterday, was generally pretty simple to install - their instructions are very good.

So far very impressed, so much better than my existing boiler programmer and thermostat (obviously) and love the customisability. The geo-location/presence detection stuff is pretty nifty too.

When I removed my old thermostat I noticed there was a draft coming through from behind the plasterboard/metal cage which I sealed up - explained why my thermostat always used to think it was cold :p:o.

Would definitely recommend the Tado, great bit of kit :).

Associate
Hi, all Just to let you guys know if anyone has issues with Tado not noticing you have left the house and you have an Android phone do this -

Open 'Settings', 'Battery', select 'Battery optimization' from the menu at the top right side of the screen, select tado°, and choose 'Don't optimize'

Mines perfect now....

Caporegime
Has anyone got their Tado working with hot water and / or multiple heating zones?

We're having a heating system upgrade suit and moving from combi to system + unvented, and the installer is recommending the Worcester Wave. I'm happy with the Tado, but does will it do hot water and zones, and if so, how and does it work with Worcester Bosch boilers?

alx

alx

Soldato
I'm pretty sure it now does hot water, and multiple zones if you get multiple smart thermostats. Their website should have more info.
Regarding boiler compatibility, their customer support is very good - send them a query via their website.

Associate
Has anyone negotiated a price with them for upgrade to V2? I am still renting V1 (the Beta) with them but I'd like to move upto V2. Half tempted to buy it if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Tado does hot water as standard and for multiple zones you just need a second thermostat.....which is what I have just ordered from them.

Had an email that offered a £20 off code in it...so used that on teh already discounted price for rental and then got a second one for my second zone. Worked out at £40 which is ok for me.

Have gone on the rental route as not really got the money to splash on buying them outright at present.

numnutz - probably best speaking direct to tado about this as they have always been good with negotiating and sorting things out. You may be best just cancelling the rental on the V1 and then starting up again on V2

Soldato
Had an email that offered a £20 off code in it...so used that on teh already discounted price for rental and then got a second one for my second zone. Worked out at £40 which is ok for me.

But how are you going to set the 2nd zone?

E.g. Before tado my zonings were time based.

Zone 1 (Downstairs): 5.30pm to 11pm weekdays.
Zone 2 (Upstairs): 6.30am to 8am, 9pm to 11.30pm weekdays.

Now with one thermostat I've left Zone 2 as timed and zone 1 as proximity with the bedtime setting. If I buy a second tado for zone 2 then I would imagine it will come on when I approach the house too rather than before I go to bed. What's the point? It basically becomes one single zone.

Associate
OP

Now with one thermostat I've left Zone 2 as timed and zone 1 as proximity with the bedtime setting. If I buy a second tado for zone 2 then I would imagine it will come on when I approach the house too rather than before I go to bed. What's the point? It basically becomes one single zone.

Have not yet set it up...wating for delivery, but would imagine that it will come up as a seperate tab or something similar, sothat you set up two seperate smart timings. In this you should just be able to set it so that when you come home it either goes to a lower temp as home temp or you may be able to have it ignore geofencing and just run on timed....

Soldato
Has anyone negotiated a price with them for upgrade to V2? I am still renting V1 (the Beta) with them but I'd like to move upto V2. Half tempted to buy it if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Cheers

No but good luck. Tado won't allow me to rent my V2 for a second year I can either return it or buy it.

alx

alx

Soldato

For zone 2/second thermostat you can keep geo fencing on but set a manual away temperature from 8am to 9pm so it won't come on at all between these times - doesn't that solve your problem? Geo fencing can also be turned off for any individual time slot.

Associate
OP
Just had email from Tado ref the zone 2 thermostat...they have said they are now in and ready for shipping, but they are still working on the online installation guide, but willprovide full telephone support for installation in the interim.

Have to say, thay are bloody good when it comes to support

Soldato
After much deliberation (and missing out on the £80 Screwfix deal on the Nest V2) i've finally got a Tado v2 being delivered next week. It's only being installed on a bog standard combi, so install looks quite straight forward. Just wondering how other people are getting on with the v2's?

Associate
After much deliberation (and missing out on the £80 Screwfix deal on the Nest V2) i've finally got a Tado v2 being delivered next week. It's only being installed on a bog standard combi, so install looks quite straight forward. Just wondering how other people are getting on with the v2's?

Yep great....very good bit of kit for people who have no set schedule and need heating to track them ....one thing is I had to turn off battery optimisation for the tado app to make tracking perfect....

Soldato
Just noticed they do radiator valves now. So how does this compare to Evohome. I want to control each radiator separately and a plinth heater.

Soldato
Yep great....very good bit of kit for people who have no set schedule and need heating to track them ....one thing is I had to turn off battery optimisation for the tado app to make tracking perfect....

Appreciate the tip, i've got the kit earlier today and will be doing the install tonight. It was £50 from the bay of e, i've already hit a slight snag, my boiler (ancient Volkera HE) has no thermostat, as soon as you tell the online wizard that it insists you need the extension kit, i've had to get the account re-set and lie to it so I can hard wire. Got to say the technical staff seem to be quite good, phone is answered quickly enough and they're not 'computer says no' types.

Back
Top Bottom