Taking stuff that isnt yours

Soldato
How is it theft it its in the middle of the street? Im not theiving it from anyone or a house.

Because you're taking something that doesn't belong to you with intention of depriving the original owner of said item.

It doesn't matter if you find it in the street, 'finders keepers' stops working when you're 5. People don't just decide to leave an iPod on the floor because they don't want it anymore, that's someones lost property and keeping it is stealing it, because it isn't yours.

Associate
My girlfriend and I found a wallet once in a the cathedral grounds.

We remembered seeing a couple walking away from the spot we just got to, girlfriend sprinted the whole length of the grounds to catch up to them (£35 in there too).

Not even a thanks.

Soldato
You can make all the excuses you want. You're a thief.

That's fine. I'm not denying the best thing to do was to find a police station and hand it in and fill out the forms etc. but I didn't on that day, I was wrong. But I still don't feel guilty that it was me who stumbled across it by chance. Maybe that makes me double wrong. All I know is it's happened before with cash and I handed it in, and if it happens again I'll be handing it in, assuming I know where to hand it in. I know the right thing to do and in normal circumstances I always do the right thing. I'd say I once committed theft, rather than being a thief

Last edited:
Soldato
I found an i('m a gay)Phone in Tesco the other day, and gave it back to the guy who lost it after he called me on it. I was just about to try to work out how to work the thing and call him, but he beat me to it.

Keeping someone's lost stuff is pretty douchey IMO.

Soldato
Sometimes they might not thank you for simply being surprised it was returned.

Either way, if I knew I could return it to the person I would. Think how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot...

Soldato
she? how'd you know it was a she? :confused:

It was in a pink sleeve and filled with girly music I guessed it was a girls!

Don't think I'm that much worse than the many people saying they wish they'd have kept the found goods because the person who lost it was rude. I actually wish that girl hadn't lost her ipod, regardless of who she was. I was stood around for nearly 5 minutes with it in my hand hoping somebody would return but they didn't

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My girlfriend and I found a wallet once in a the cathedral grounds.

We remembered seeing a couple walking away from the spot we just got to, girlfriend sprinted the whole length of the grounds to catch up to them (£35 in there too).

Not even a thanks.

Its exactly this sort of thing that makes me think 'Next time FU, its mine'

Like what i did when i was younger, walked all the way to the address shown in the wallet then got a door in my face for my troubles

Soldato
Yet back a few posts you state pretty certainly:

Did you see her drop it or something :confused:

Erm, it was in a pink sleeve and had girly music on it, that's the only basis for my assumption, I'm a bit confused by your accusation could you expand a little bit! And it was chart girly music, could easily have been a women in her 20's - 60's, I suppose I am stereotyping massively. Could have been a guys ipod too, let my assumptions get the better of me :)

Associate
Why should people thank/ reward you for doing the right thing and returning their possessions?

It's certainly a politeness thing, but there is no actual obligation to thank/ reward you.

Your reward should be the knowledge that you are honest enough to return property rather than steal it.

Soldato
Why should people thank/ reward you for doing the right thing and returning their possessions?

It's certainly a politeness thing, but there is no actual obligation to thank/ reward you.

Your reward should be the knowledge that you are honest enough to return property rather than steal it.

Personaly I'd refuse a reward unless they were offering to pay for a meal and the person happened to be a slamming hottie >.>

but a thank you would be nice, not going to change what I do even if they don't, being one of the few honest, decent people around these days would be enough for me

Soldato
OP
It would be interesting to do a survey on this. Say go down a very busy street like Briggate in Leeds, drop and iphone or ipod touch and watch what happens to it then wait to see if anyone trys to return it

My guess is that the percentage rate of it being returned is about 20

Man of Honour
It would be interesting to do a survey on this. Say go down a very busy street like Briggate in Leeds, drop and iphone or ipod touch and watch what happens to it then wait to see if anyone trys to return it

My guess is that the percentage rate of it being returned is about 20

So you're trying to justify your immoral actions by saying that everyone does it?

I despair :(

Soldato
Cash is mine.

Belongings I will try to get hold of the owner myself and have returned directly.

If I MUST hand it into the police for the return then any cash that was in there is mine and the belongings get handed in. Cash never, ever gets returned when it goes via the police.

I will leave a contact and should they wish to call if they get it back via the Police they can have the cash. It will not be going to bent cops.

Soldato
I think that people may be confusing my laziness and my morals, I didn't want anything to do with the ipod and know where it should have gone, but I couldn't really be bothered to go considerably out of my way to return it. If I had the option I would have never seen it

It is nice to know though that almost everybody here would be willing to go to such great lengths if I ever lose my ipod though, and that's probably how it should be.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I was at a cashpoint the other day and the woman infront said to me "I found this card on the cash machine, I guess I should hand it back to Natwest?"

Me: "er yes?! :/"

Obviously if you can trace back to the owner then it should be returned.

BB x

Back
Top Bottom