Teaching of Evolution being removed in Turkish schools

Soldato
We are taught the history of the world and the basics of the origins of the universe.
We are not,however, taught that about 6K years ago, in seven days, God just made the whole thing happen in real time.
No suggestion of parable or story telling, it happened for a fact, and the DUP believe such things.
A book tells them such.
I hate to defend them but this isn't a DUP specific thing though, should we ban everyone in politics who follows any religion?

Caporegime
I hate to defend them but this isn't a DUP specific thing though, should we ban everyone in politics who follows any religion?

I'm in favour of that. Being religious shows the inability to think critically and should therefore instantly bar that individual from public office as they are not fit to make sensible decisions.

How can we put people who believe in fairy tales in charge of running the country? It's the definition of insanity.

Man of Honour
We are taught the history of the world and the basics of the origins of the universe.
We are not,however, taught that about 6K years ago, in seven days, God just made the whole thing happen in real time.
Well that's kind of what I mean - I can't ever remember expressly being taught about the 'evolution of species' in school... I'm intrigued to know if anyone else does.

Soldato
Why "obviously not 100%" certain that the world was not made in 7 days? The Earth and the Universe are billions of years old. This can be proven. It doesn't refute the possibility of there being (or having been) a god (or goddess, or gods), but it does show that any creation stories (of any religion) shouldn't be taken too literally.

Basically not 100% certain because if God (or any divine being) is capable of creating the universe then why would it not be possible for them to create a 'history' that preceeds the actual age of the world. I don't believe this, but don't see any reason why it couldn't happen if God is all powerful etc.

Caporegime
Well that's kind of what I mean - I can't ever remember expressly being taught about the 'evolution of species' in school... I'm intrigued to know if anyone else does.

I certainly remember being taught about darwinian evolution in school and about mendelian inheritance etc

Of course it does, it shows you will believe anything without evidence.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
I certainly remember being taught about darwinian evolution in school and about mendelian inheritance etc
Yeah medenlian inheritance I remember... not quite the 'evolution of species' though... the 'convertroversial' bit. Perhaps my memory just sucks :)

Edit - not sure why italics!

Associate
Soldato
Basically not 100% certain because if God (or any divine being) is capable of creating the universe then why would it not be possible for them to create a 'history' that preceeds the actual age of the world. I don't believe this, but don't see any reason why it couldn't happen if God is all powerful etc.

Yes this is called faith.
There is absolutely nothing to suggest such an event, except that it was once told as a story and written in a book eventually after many generations of word of mouth learning. Then two major offshoot breakaway sects modified that text for their own faith.
There is no evidence at all for this, except their faith.
Some of the offshoots don't even believe it directly as verbatim word, more treat it as a story to explain how God would create the universe, the Catholic Church being in this latter group. Believing in the scientific basis of the universe around us.

In some churchs it is down to individual ministers to decide if the creationism story is the stalwart of faith, or a story.
Faith.
It removes any need to think about anything, or worry about anything, just have faith and something something.

People may have faith, fine , if that is how they wish to perceive their existance.
It shouldn't be a bloody government policy.
Not anywhere, not due to any religion.

Caporegime
There are, moreover, a number of prominent openly religious scientists, such as Frances Collins, currently the head of the US National Institutes of Health; Gerhard Etrl who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry (2007) and William D Phillips who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...r/04/myth-scientists-religion-hating-atheists

That doesn't refute what I've said, religion is belief without evidence, that is essentially the definition of faith. A person can follow the principles of science in the field of biology or chemistry etc, but if they believe in fairy tales they are not mentally fit to be in government.

Caporegime
That doesn't refute what I've said, religion is belief without evidence, that is essentially the definition of faith. A person can follow the principles of science in the field of biology or chemistry etc, but if they believe in fairy tales they are not mentally fit to be in government.

Theresa May is Britain’s ‘first Catholic prime minister’,

http://catholicherald.co.uk/news/20...st-catholic-prime-minister-says-michael-gove/

You said

Being religious shows the inability to think critically.

I'm saying this is nonsense. Just because someone is Religious does not mean they have the inability to think critically.

By this notion...A Brain surgeon who is religious should not be allowed to operate?

lol

Back
Top Bottom