Teaching of Evolution being removed in Turkish schools

Caporegime
I'm not saying that the person is effectively mentally retarded to the point of not being able to make any rational decision. But religious belief is not one borne of critical thinking, and greatly compromises ones ability to make sound political decisions.

Soldato
OP
I was going to post a link to this earlier but settled for sadly rolling my eyes.

The really tragic thing is that this seems another backwards step for a country that the best part of 100 years ago had such a progressive leader in Mustafa Kemal Atatürk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atatürk

The article mentions they introduce a law many years after his death criminalising insults towards him. I bet he would have disapproved of that law, too! :/

What I don't understand is the inability for evolution and creationism to be combined. For example, why could God not have created the universe using what we understand as a big bang and formed it over time, even letting creatures evolve in their own ways as part of the creation? Genesis is a Jewish writing and one that both Christians and Muslims use as basis for creation. The Jews are fond of their stories to illustrate points and its likely the early parts of the bible let's say pre Moses are passed word of mouth. So its pretty certain (though obviously not 100%) that the 7 day creation is a story to illustrate creation of all the different parts of the world.

To clarify as well, I believe fully in God (Christian) but appreciate most people on here don't.

Ever seen Noah, starring Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly? There's a scene where he combines Creationism and Evolution all in one mad montage. It's bonkers and great, all at the same time. From the above, you'd probably enjoy it.

Why "obviously not 100%" certain that the world was not made in 7 days?

Minor and petty quibble! ;) It took six days to make the world and all the things on it. The seventh day God put her feet up.

I'm in favour of that. Being religious shows the inability to think critically and should therefore instantly bar that individual from public office as they are not fit to make sensible decisions.

Two flaws immediately apparent in the above. One - there are plenty of religious people who think critically and historically many of our great thinkers have been actively religious. Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man, for example. Two - that's an appallingly inconsistent benchmark. By it, you would ban some person who prays regularly but makes all their economic policy decision based on evidence, whilst allowing in some dogmatic and committed marxist who disregarded all evidence in favour of ideology. As one example of how being religious is far, far from where you should start if you're going to start disqualifying people from public office.

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Two flaws immediately apparent in the above. One - there are plenty of religious people who think critically and historically many of our great thinkers have been actively religious. Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man, for example. Two - that's an appallingly inconsistent benchmark. By it, you would ban some person who prays regularly but makes all their economic policy decision based on evidence, whilst allowing in some dogmatic and committed marxist who disregarded all evidence in favour of ideology. As one example of how being religious is far, far from where you should start if you're going to start disqualifying people from public office.

Yes Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man and did some quite terrible things actually, not a great character to reference in all honesty...

You are creating a false dichotomy here, just because people would be excluded on religious grounds does not mean that other dogmatic people would not also be excluded.

Soldato
gotta wonder what future societies will make of this sort of thing, I can only hope that as education around the world increases, in particular science education, that we'll see less of this nonsense

2cRenjW.jpg

That clears that up... But... But... Why are there no black people in the Jetsons, Uncle Dowie? :O

Caporegime
I hate to defend them but this isn't a DUP specific thing though, should we ban everyone in politics who follows any religion?

No. We should certainly ban religious influence in policymaking, but there is no reason to ban people that follow religion from making policy.

Plenty of religious people can differentiate their faith from evidence, which is something many non religious people can't do. It shouldn't be about whether someone is religious or not, rather what they base their policy decisions in.

That leads us down a rabbit hole however as much of our current law and moral viewpoint is based on religion. We are obviously trying to move away from that but it still infused much of our lives.

Well that's kind of what I mean - I can't ever remember expressly being taught about the 'evolution of species' in school... I'm intrigued to know if anyone else does.

It would almost certainly have been taught in GCSE biology.

Most Muslim countries do teach evolution in their schools, I think. Iran does. Saudi Arabia (big surprise) does not. Nor does IS in the areas they hold.

Yet again, we support the most backwards of Islamic nations against the more progressive.

Foreign policy has rarely been about logic, sense and, ironically, evidence.

Soldato
OP
Yes Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man and did some quite terrible things actually, not a great character to reference in all honesty...

Newton is a great person to reference. I don't care if he was nice! What does nice matter? He was someone who had superlative critical reasoning ability and was a deeply religious example. I only need one green mammal to disprove a statement that green mammals do not exist; and history is filled with great and critical thinkers who were religious.

You are creating a false dichotomy here, just because people would be excluded on religious grounds does not mean that other dogmatic people would not also be excluded.

You have stripped away the part of what I wrote that is inconvenient to you claiming it's a false dichotomy. Much like a creationist ignoring an inconvenient fossil and for the same reason. I made the supported point that religion is far from the starting position for excluding people and doing so would exclude candidates who are far superior to worse candidates that are not excluded. A false dichotomy is not me pointing out that your criteria is too weak to filter on. If you attempt to filter on a discriminator as statistically insignificant as that, you're excluding good candidates. That's what weak statistical discriminators do. I can explain the principle if needed.

Caporegime
Well according to Dianne Abott, Chairman Mao did more good than bad on balance. ;)

Missing the point

Its easy

Being Religious doesn't suddenly make you not have the ability to critical thought :p

The mere suggestion...would argue that anyone "outside" of any belief is Valid

Which is BS...

And I posted this already.

Soldato
First openly Catholic one, anyway. Blair converted to Catholicism suspiciously shortly after leaving office. (A few months iirc). Blair's cynical manipulation extends even to avoiding open commitment to his own religion for the sake of political gain. (Probably).

She isn't openly Roman Catholic, she's CoE.
She may be a subsect within CoE, but she remains CoE none-the-less.
Your English laws still discriminate against Roman Catholics at the very heart of your entire processes.

Back
Top Bottom