Teeth whitening - Recommended kits?

Soldato
The highest legal concentration you could buy to do yourself won't make your teeth as white as you would like..

On the other hand, dentists can use higher concentrations, therefore.. get it done by a professional.

Soldato
Having your teeth professionally cleaned (scale and polish) helps remove the plaque and hard deposits (calculus) which do stain. Plus the dentist can make sure you have no cavities, all your teeth are sealed (including any root-filled teeth) and you have no active gum disease (periodontitis).
drinks all day!

eh? Is it it gingivitis first or does that not count as gum disease?

Associate
Is Baking Soda a good cheap alternative?

It likely strips enamel with regular and extended use. However used sparingly and with decent gaps between use (2 weeks) or is this practice ill advised?

Caporegime
When I get my check up every three months I book a private hygienist after seeing my dentist and get a good cleaning, it's like getting pressure washed, my teeth are lovely and white now.

that isn't going to whiten them though, going to a hygienist is just a more thorough version of the quick clean/polish the dentist does at the end of an appointment, it basically just cleans them thoroughly that's all

Is Baking Soda a good cheap alternative?

you can get baking soda in toothpaste but as with the hygienist suggestion above it isn't going to whiten them... you're perhaps just going to clean them better, remove stains etc..

Permabanned
I bought the whitening strips in the USA when on holiday, and a 30 min. application per day, after a week there was a noticable
difference, obviously not in the Rylan Clark league but still pretty good for a tenner.

Caporegime
The UV light method that dentists do is just Retrobright but done safely. Yeah it works well !

Well one poster earlier in this thread is a dentist and doesn't seem to have a good view of it. Likewise my dentist, who was a former university lecturer and examiner didn't recommend it but offers the take home kits that you use nightly.

I guess you could say that dentists who don't have the kit perhaps have a financial incentive to offer whatever they currently offer but the one I've gone to doesn't seem to be too money hungry, some dentists previously have said to come every 6 months for a check up whereas when I registered with the current guy he said my teeth are fine and I don't need to come back for 18 months.

Soldato
I went with custom trays and then dentist provided gel. Things I read said the light dries out your teeth so I avoided that. You put a small blob of gel in each tooth compartment and then wear the tray overnight for seven days. Came out great and no sensitivity. Not crazy white too (though dentist said the crazy white teeth are all fake anyway).

Associate
Jsmoke if your gums were inflamed I suggest putting it in the bin.

My understanding is:
  • Lower concentrations have the least complications. They work but it takes time.
  • The higher concentrations e.g. in office whitening cannot be left long enough on your teeth for it to have a lasting effect.
  • High concentrations have a higher risk of complications
I advocate gentle treatment and only if there is a clinical need.

There is no evidence that the blue lights and UV lights make any difference – those techniques were grandfathered in the past – with no supporting evidence.

Plus if you do the in-office whitening you then sit up with sensitive bright white desiccated teeth after watching some 1980’s DVD like Four Weddings and then giving paid hundreds of pounds for that chair time you get home whitening which obviously works.

So I just do the home whitening. It is cheaper and has the best evidence for safety and effectiveness.

Begbie

Begbie’s opinion is supported by scientific peer-reviewed journal evidence. I learned something today! His degree is in the post. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10518865

Unlikely to match the whiteness 4 to 6 weeks of dentist supervised home whitening but may be useful to maintain the result afterward.

Fusion

I like Colgate toothpaste, smile at your dental nurse and ask her for a lifetime supply of Sensodyne. We have tons of it. I use that because it is free. Any supermarket toothpaste with around 1400 ppm is fine.

If you don’t like dental treatment like me use industrial toothpaste http://www.colgateprofessional.co.uk/products/colgate-duraphat-5000ppm-fluoride-toothpaste/overview

If you are a mars bar mouth use that. You can get a prescription for it or buy it from your dentist. It is very good. I recommend it to adults who insist on getting tooth decay in adulthood.

Mark A’s right everyone I speak to likes the Crest Strips.

If you have yellow teeth like a rat getting tooth whitening supervised by the dentist is going to improve your smile.

Done correctly it is very safe and long lasting.

Bassmansam

Gingivitis is inflamed gums the treatment is regular effective tooth brushing; it is totally reversible. Periodontitis is the loss of the supporting tissues, the dental gum and bone. Smoking is a major risk factor. The treatment is meticulous home care and regular dentist or dental hygienist tooth cleaning. It is not reversible and even with great dental care it can slowly progress.

Baking soda has no fluoride in it so make sure you use regular toothpaste. These things are unlikely to effectively bleach your teeth.

Having teeth professionally cleaned removes the adhering plaque and calculus which does pick up stain (tannins) easily so it will make teeth look better. It is also a good idea to have that carried out before dentist tooth whitening.

Aim and a similar shade to the whites of your eyes for a natural look.

Girls are good at attending with a friend, you may get a discount that way!

Pod x

Soldato
I have bought kits from my dentist after having trays made.

These were White dental beauty 5%.

My teeth were noticeably whiter after using the gel over night for a period of 7-10 days or so. I did buy more to do them again a couple of years later (trays still fit well), but I accidentally left the syringes in the fridge when I moved house.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to throw something else out there.

search for Activated Charcoal Natural Teeth Whitening

seems to generally get good reviews and makes a slight change.

Associate
Let's take a look. There is no peer-reviewed scientific evidence on their website https://procoal.co.uk/pages/faqs. I have emailed asking for their evidence.

It has no fluoride so adults who use it instead of toothpaste have an increased risk of tooth decay which will confuse their dentist in an otherwise healthy adult with previously stable dental health.

By their own admission, they claim to be removing stains from the surface. Therefore they are referring to the stains which are primarily effecting adhered plaque and calculus.

Why not simply have teeth professionally cleaned to remove the surface pellicle (plaque and calculus)? Rather than have to brush with a regular fluoride toothpaste and spend a tenner on a tube of charcoal dust? I would be concerned about doubling the risk of toothbrush abrasion which brushes away the neck of the teeth and brushes away thin gum tissue too!

Conclusion - it is marketing BS.

From their site:

Does PROCOAL contain any chemical ingredients?
This product contains 100% natural activated charcoal powder. No synthetic additives, preservatives, foaming agents, fluoride, artificial colours or flavours, and no abrasive baking soda or salt.

Is PROCOAL safe to use on sensitive teeth/gums?
PROCOAL is perfectly safe to use on sensitive teeth/gums given that you use a soft bristle toothbrush and brush appropriately.

Can PROCOAL damage the enamel on my teeth?
No, the charcoal provided is extremely fine and non-abrasive.

Can PROCOAL be used by people wearing braces?
PROCOAL is safe to use with braces, but we do not recommend it as it will not whiten the surface covered directly by the braces.

Does PROCOAL replace toothpaste or am I meant to use both?
We recommend using both. Brush your teeth with your usual toothpaste and then use PROCOAL.

Associate
Me again. A look at the evidence:

This first journal evidence supports what I recommended in earlier posts, it is cheapest, safest and effective. It is At-Home whitening with low concentration bleaching agent (gel) (That is a dentist supplied bleaching agent Jsmoke not toilet duck or what you buy off ebay!

Before you have the treatment make sure you have a professional tooth cleaning (scale and polish).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29251456

CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE:
At-home bleaching is time but not concentration dependent and its secondary effects depend on the active agent concentration; therefore, there is no need to use high concentration products. The most effective protocol is low concentrations (10% carbamide peroxide) with overnight use.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25298598

CONCLUSIONS:
The use of light activator sources with in-office bleaching treatment of vital teeth did not increase the efficacy of bleaching or accelerate the bleaching.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28599961

CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this literature review showed insufficient clinical and laboratory data to substantiate the safety and efficacy claims of charcoal and charcoal-based dentifrices. Larger-scale and well-designed studies are needed to establish conclusive evidence.

PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS:
Dental clinicians should advise their patients to be cautious when using charcoal and charcoal-based dentifrices with unproven claims of efficacy and safety.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It has no fluoride so adults who use it instead of toothpaste have an increased risk of tooth decay which will confuse their dentist in an otherwise healthy adult with previously stable dental health.

sad thing is the lack of fluoride/all natural ingredients etc.. is probably seen as a plus by lots of the customers, "activated charcoal" alone is enough of a sign that it is aimed at the "alternative" crowd i.e. the anti-vax/big Pharma is evil types

Back
Top Bottom