Teeth whitening - Recommended kits?

Soldato
I've used the Crest strips a couple times in the past with reasonable results. I have decent teeth anyway but they did seem to make a difference.

Associate
sad thing is the lack of fluoride/all natural ingredients etc.. is probably seen as a plus by lots of the customers, "activated charcoal" alone is enough of a sign that it is aimed at the "alternative" crowd i.e. the anti-vax/big Pharma is evil types

The twice-daily dose of fluoride is what prevents most of us from getting tooth decay. I know you are fully aware of studies/statistics.

There is no problem with alternatives but it is the responsibility of the people marketing them to carry out the rigorous investigations which demonstrate they are at least as safe and as effective than the contemporary standard treatment.

Simply separating folk from their hard earned cash with a load of old tosh about fictional benefits isn't ethical but the general public are easily parted from their hard earned cash.

Imagine if I said this to a patient "I recommend this treatment but there is no evidence that it is safer or more effective than the alternatives". The patient would think I was nuts but the general public who are buying this stuff must lack this internal monologue. Unlike hair your teeth, dental nerves and gums are irreplaceable and don't grow back. Why would anyone assume it was safe to apply something bought from a website that is not approved by the dental profession to their mouth.

Soldato
I had great results, bought custom dental trays from amazon for £35 then 35% Opalescence carbamide peroxide gel for £27.
Also now using Sensodyne repair and protect with Novamin.

Soldato
Warning...this thread is for people interested in or have already whitened their teeth. Metros only. :o

Buuuut as topic...last thing i heard a few years back was related to crest (?) strips.

Whats the latest nowadays?

There was another thread on this, where I posted my experience and results - in a nut shell, I paid for the £400+ for private dental whitening years back, it was a several weeks-month course. Custom trays were made for me, and I was given several syringes of the whitening solution, I don't recall the % they were, but I later purchased higher rated ones online.

It was easy enough, after brushing at night and rinsing with water, I would then put blobs of the solution into each molded tooth, and wear the trays to bed. I'd set my alarm for 2 hours before I'd normally wake, then go rinse out the trays and my mouth with a little warm water - this was because the teeth become highly sensitive. I'd then put toothpaste into the molds and wear them for the last two hours of sleep.

After the course and additional syringes, my teeth were much whiter, but naturally looking.

Hope this helps.

Associate
Not true. Diet, is what prevents tooth decay. Ever wondered why humans are the only species that needs to brush teeth?
Fluoride is just a quick fix created by the dental industry. While it might be safe to paint on your teeth, it's toxic if ingested. It's why toothpaste carries warning labels.

Stopper those are bold statements, partly nonsensical, with no supporting evidence. I disagree with you.

Water is poisonous if ingested in large enough quantities. So what is your point?

Caporegime
Just for context Stopper has had a tendency in the past to post in a manner similar to conspiracy nuts/freeman of the land types.

Soldato
Not true. Diet, is what prevents tooth decay. Ever wondered why humans are the only species that needs to brush teeth?
Fluoride is just a quick fix created by the dental industry. While it might be safe to paint on your teeth, it's toxic if ingested. It's why toothpaste carries warning labels.

This makes sense to me. I bet there are people who have never brushed their teeth but still have excellent teeth because of a good diet. I.e no sugar or fatty foods.

Permabanned
Hi to everyone interested in sharing opinions about how we can whiten our teeth.
Are you happy with the results? What toothpastes have you used?

Well, I have already used:

- Sensodyne ProNamel Multi-Action;
- Sensodyne Repair&Protect;
- Blend-a-Med 3D White Luxe with Pearl;
- Blend-a-Med 3D White Luxe Perfection;
- Blend-a-Med Pro-Expert Clinic Line Enamel Regeneration;
- Colgate Max White Expert White;

And now I have 2 new
Crest 3DWhite Brilliance

All of these are relatively cheap.
I see there are some other "more professional" brands, which are two-three-four times more expensive and should be able to give better results.
Can you recommend anything?

I have seen the ingredients on the boxes and all toothpastes are basically the same. Maybe slight deviation in the proportions.

Next I will use the strips but they are quite considerably more expensive.
Crest 3D White Luxe Supreme Flexfit goes for ~45 euros.

Last edited:
Permabanned

This must be a joke. :eek: I have never seen that thread and it is quite recent.
And the stupid search engine gave me back threads that are 7 and 8-year old.

:o

I recommend going to a professional rather than DIY

I have tried but it doesn't happen with one visit there only.
When you go several times, it can cost a fortune.

No like :(

Soldato
Don't forget that most whitening toothpastes just remove staining.

The whiteness of your teeth highly depends on your tooth enamel and apart from getting your dentist to fix it, there is little you can do.

Also, teeth aren't meant to be 'Hollywood' white. Teeth are meant to be a little bit yellow.

Permabanned
Doesn’t this kind of thing strip your enamel?

Nope, it shouldn't.

Look:

Tooth enamel is one of the four major tissues that make up the tooth in humans and many other animals, including some species of fish. It makes up the normally visible part of the tooth, covering the crown. The other major tissues are dentin, cementum, and dental pulp. It is a very hard, white to off-white, highly mineralised substance that acts as a barrier to protect the tooth but can become susceptible to degradation, especially by acids from food and drink.

Enamel is the hardest substance in the human body and contains the highest percentage of minerals,[1] 96%, with water and organic material composing the rest.[2] The primary mineral is hydroxyapatite, which is a crystalline calcium phosphate.[3] Enamel is formed on the tooth while the tooth is developing within the gum, before it erupts into the mouth. Once fully formed, it does not contain blood vessels or nerves. Remineralisation of teeth can repair damage to the tooth to a certain degree but damage beyond that cannot be repaired by the body. The maintenance and repair of human tooth enamel is one of the primary concerns of dentistry.

In humans, enamel varies in thickness over the surface of the tooth, often thickest at the cusp, up to 2.5 mm, and thinnest at its border with the cementum at the cementoenamel junction (CEJ).[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_enamel

Don't forget that most whitening toothpastes just remove staining.

The whiteness of your teeth highly depends on your tooth enamel and apart from getting your dentist to fix it, there is little you can do.

Also, teeth aren't meant to be 'Hollywood' white. Teeth are meant to be a little bit yellow.

What we actually do, is to try to remove all stains caused of drinks, food, in some people's cases smoking.

What I understand, is that the tooth enamel has to be white in its natural condition.

Caporegime
I used the Day White gel stuff a few years back and whilst it worked incredibly well, the toothache was absolutely unbearable.

I just use the Crest strips now which are still pretty good, but just a pain to keep on.

Soldato
... someones making a lot of money - this was 2014
The teeth whitening market is on the up too. The research, which was done by Mintel, showed that three in 10 (30%) Britain’s use whitening toothpaste as part of their daily routine; with over half (55%) saying they had used it in the last three months. Teeth whitening strips and kits had been used by 14% of Brits in the last month.

I would like to know if you can do something to reduce the staining impact of coffee/tea, have read adding milk helps, but prefer espresso/plain tea, too much.
Morning tea, after citrus fruit/juice that has softened the enamel, probably does not help either.

... there is a point where tooth whitening just looks artificial (like botox or cosmetic surgery),
veneers might be on a different level but on the likes of Trump/'celebrities', they look false and you wonder how much irrevocable damage is done to the underlying tooth+gums and what periodic maintenance is needed.

Back
Top Bottom