**Tesco value tablet - The Hudl**

Associate
Just got one.

£60 using vouchers etc, seamed silly to pass it up.

The screen is nice and sharp, with OK colours, not grainy like I have seen other units.

Coming from a note2 I feel this 7" form factor isn't as great as I had hoped.
Too big to be truly portable, however too small to feel it will be productive. Too be fair though 1hrs use isn't a fair amount of time to make judgement.

Its comfortable, and the build quality appears pretty good.

No issues with speed as of yet, although the note2 does feel snappier-could be subjective...

All apps from my play store account installed ok.

For the price it's a bargain. Better than other budget units I have briefly had my hands on.

Associate
Oh dear, do any of these actually work?

I went into my local store to compare vs nexus 7 to see if the Hudl, whilst not as good, would have been good enough for my needs.

There was a large dedicated display but both units were frozen up and wouldn't reboot. I spent the rest of the visit drooling over the high res screen on the Nexus. Still not sure I actually need a tablet though.

Soldato
I went into my local Tesco today to have a look at these. One unit was off and look liked it crashed, the other one was awfully slow. It looks like they're running some sort of demo software so maybe that is the problem.

Certainly hasn't swayed me to buy one.

Soldato
Used one in a Tesco it was in a very restricted demo mode so could'nt do much appart from swipe to a few screens. Screen seemed very nice though very crisp and clear.

Caporegime
i have enough vouchers but i woule use them all, dont think it fits for me, no 3g and 7in.. its not pocketable and not big enough over a phone to be useful imo

Associate
I found 7 inches to be too much of a compromise, like people said here its not a big enough difference over a large screen phone and not really that portable, Imho 8 inches is the sweet spot for smaller tablets its like 40% extra viewing area which is a big help on web browsing and games and is still nice and light and usable one handed.

Caporegime
If I can get one for £60 (with vouchers) im going to replace my parents ancient Tomtom

It has GPS so as long as I get an satnav app and download the maps over wifi it should be good for when their out

and a 7" screen is a lot larger than their tomtom so it should be easier for them to see :)

Good god! Do you realise what you posted? If your parents can't see well enough to use a TomTom then they probably shouldn't be driving...

Soldato
The initial build of the demo software is (was) completely stuffed.
Instructions to stores have been sent out as to how to update the build, but a lot of stores probably haven't. If the demo software gets into the frozen state, then (IIRC) you need to wait until it goes completely flat and turns itself off.

I haven't tried anything with it, don't really need a tablet....

-Leezer-

Associate
I had a look the other day but they are running some awful demo software that won't let you test anything, for £120 they do look quite good and the specs are good but I would still pay the extra for a Nexus, actually I already have :)

Associate
debating if i should pick one of these up instead of a nexus 7, would mainly be used for travelling. So watching movies, tinternet, skype and so fourth, maybe the odd game.

My local tescos superstore have finaly built a display, although they dont have any working units, just the silly dummy ones.

Anyone used one with an OTG cable? although it appears to have an sd slot?

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Tbh the new Nexus is in a different league. Probably worth the extra money. It handles everything I've thrown at it.

I see this more as something to keep the kids entertained.

Caporegime
You've made the same mistake that lots of people make when starting new forums - billions of subforums. You can delete 2/3rds of those.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

What do you guys think of this tablet in comparison if price was also around £120:-
http://www.msi.com/product/windpad/Primo-81.html

I had a play with one over weekend, seems very well constructed, no lock-ups and battery was lasting 6-8hrs with web surfing and odd web game.

Everything was fluid and the PowerVR graphics seems quite powerful, definitely maybe more suited towards gaming and the 7.85" in size seems a perfect size. :)

Let me know if you'd consider this against the Tesco for about same price (£119.99) or not please?

Don
Hi there

What do you guys think of this tablet in comparison if price was also around £120:-
http://www.msi.com/product/windpad/Primo-81.html

I had a play with one over weekend, seems very well constructed, no lock-ups and battery was lasting 6-8hrs with web surfing and odd web game.

Everything was fluid and the PowerVR graphics seems quite powerful, definitely maybe more suited towards gaming and the 7.85" in size seems a perfect size. :)

Let me know if you'd consider this against the Tesco for about same price (£119.99) or not please?

Nope. Resolution is poor at 1024x768 compared to the Hudl at 1440x900.
Cortex A7 in the MSI vs A9 in the Hudl.
Hudle has GPS, MSI doesn't.

The Hudl has the MSI beat pretty much everywhere apart from GPU, which is the same.

Back
Top Bottom