The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Porsche has already deployed its first 800V, 350kW chargers. They're for use with the upcoming Taycan.

Plus you've the new Audi e-tron out now and countless other mainstream offerings coming out this year and next. Market's growing and so are the rival offerings...

Soldato
With the increased rate of the V3 Supercharger we're talking 80% in about 20mins or so?

Thats pretty good going! Get out toilet break, grab coffee, it'll basically be done.

Wait scrap that - https://electrek.co/2019/03/07/tesla-v3-supercharger-action-first-look/

It takes 20mins OFF the existing time.

8% to ~66% in 20 mins, or 8% to 75% in 25 mins.

That's with a high capacity M3, the small 50kWh pack in the basic version will obviously be lower. So 58% charge in 20 mins for that specific scenario is about 160 miles of range.

Soldato
The charge rates are a huge red herring for a few reasons:
They are peak and not sustained.
They are only sustained for a small part of the pack when it is at low state of charge.
They do do not take into account the consumption of the vehicle which is very relevant. KWs and % gained is almost irrelevant.

Particularly the last point gets lost so often, the most relevant metric is how many miles range you gain per the time you are on the charger.

I’m almost sure that a Model 3 (which is the efficiency king right now) charging on a 250kw super charger will be gaining range as quickly as a Porsche on a 350kw.

A Kona on a 50kw charger will gain range faster than an iPace on a 100kw charger (caps out at about 70) because the consumption is horrible on the iPace.

Soldato
There is no battery pack buffer if that's what you mean. It's a 1MW power cabinet similar to what they use in the utility scale installations to turn the AC to DC and feed the chargers (rather than batteries in a utility project).

Battery buffer isn't required and it only really makes sense to put batteries on superchargers if you install a massive solar array, the grid interconnect can't handle the load or you want to mitigate significant demand charges.

Soldato
following bicycle registration plate thread, and AP respone to cyclists
these were interesting, albeit first with slightly older S radar

Tesla Model S owner tests Autopilot’s ability to avoid hitting bikers [Video]

Tesla Autopilot vs M4 Motorway / Highway - How Good Is Auto Lane Change, Auto Steer & TACC?

interesting that whilst on motorway outside lane, it is not (visibly) tracking traffic in inside lane, which you do as a driver, to spot erratic drivers etc
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-autopilot-1-detects-cyclist/

Soldato
anybody know when deliveries in the uk start?

End of Q2 seems to be the most shared idea, but Q3 seems more likely, with the entry level $35k model due Q4 '19 or Q1' 20.

Interestingly the entry level model in the UK looks like it will cost about £28.5-29.5K after the £3.5k government grant, which makes it a great choice against the other cars in the price bracket, if you want the package not just more range. Also the fact you'll have access to 250 kWh charging from the most comprehensive charging network in Europe, makes the 220 mile range much less of an issue on long journeys 8% to 70% in 20 mins, which if you started at full would take you around 3 hours to drive at 60-70 MPH (200 miles), and you could then do another 130-140 miles (or 2hrs+) before needing to stop again. So around 5.5 hours to do 340 miles with the 20 min break included, or almost Edinburgh to London with only a 20 minute break. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
End of Q2 seems to be the most shared idea, but Q3 seems more likely, with the entry level $35k model due Q4 '19 or Q1' 20.

Interestingly the entry level model in the UK looks like it will cost about £28.5-29.5K after the £3.5k government grant, which makes it a great choice against the other cars in the price bracket, if you want the package not just more range. Also the fact you'll have access to 250 kWh charging from the most comprehensive charging network in Europe, makes the 220 mile range much less of an issue on long journeys 8% to 70% in 20 mins, which if you started at full would take you around 3 hours to drive at 60-70 MPH (200 miles), and you could then do another 130-140 miles (or 2hrs+) before needing to stop again. So around 5.5 hours to do 340 miles with the 20 min break included, or almost Edinburgh to London with only a 20 minute break. :)

I think they would be taking orders if they were contemplating deliveries for Q2, We are already in Q2 and the cars take time to manufacture and ship. Q3 at the earliest now seeing as they just opened up LHD standard rage and haven't even delivered them yet.

I don't think we will see the base model getting 250kw on a charger, it has less cells than the long range so I would put money on it charging slower and probably tops out at 200, but either way it still charges very fast and is very efficient for the cash.

My mate at Tesla has just sent me pictures of one he’s took home tonight, dual motor aswell. :cool:

Nice. Not long now!

Soldato
Start of Q4 at the earliest I think. Definitely interesting that we might get the base model for £29.5k after government grant though. With the fuel savings over an equivalent, it makes for a very attractive proposition.

Soldato
Start of Q4 at the earliest I think. Definitely interesting that we might get the base model for £29.5k after government grant though. With the fuel savings over an equivalent, it makes for a very attractive proposition.

Mr. Musk already said that our Australian cousins will be receiving their RHD cars during Australian Winter, which is as we all know when our summer is so I doubt it will be Q4 over here, that would be Oct-Nov. Fuel savings are really good if you are doing 11,000+ miles and charge mainly at home on an EV car tarrif, circa £1k a year saving over a 45 MPG car with fuel at an average of £1.15 per litre. Obviously if you are doing many long journeys, rather than just commuting the savings will be less.

Caporegime
So the $35k Model 3 is dead.

I guess they fulfilled their promise by having it available for about a month.

The cheapest one “on menu” is now $39,500, the SR+ with AP.

The AP was changed itself about a month ago. Buying a Model 3 used is going to be a nightmare in future.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/11/telsa-35000-model-3/

On the flip side a few RHD cars have been seen driving around in California, so they may be available in the UK relatively soon.

Back
Top Bottom