The Tesla Thread

Soldato
planning to place my deposit today I would like to go for the SR+ (does that come with AP) or is it only the LR ?

There’s no point until they go on sale. It’s a reservation, not an order. If they even bother to honour reservation holders first (which they won’t) you’ll be so far down the queue compared to those placed years ago it’ll be pointless.

Wait for the order books to open properly. Won’t be long now.

AP will be a cost option for both range levels.

Associate
There’s no point until they go on sale. It’s a reservation, not an order. If they even bother to honour reservation holders first (which they won’t) you’ll be so far down the queue compared to those placed years ago it’ll be pointless.

Wait for the order books to open properly. Won’t be long now.

AP will be a cost option for both range levels.

What’s the basis for your comment in reservation holders? Interested as I’m one of them since 16!

Man of Honour
Had a Model S 100D for a few days a while back.

I thought it would be good but I really, really liked it. Extremely rapid and it wasn't even the performance version. AutoPilot worked better than the versions I've tried on German cars, didn't require such constant input to operate.

Was nice to chat to Tesla owners at the Superchargers (which work seamlessly), and they can't recommend the car enough. Many had come from high performance 'normal' cars like M3's, C63's, etc.

The overall build quality isn't quite there yet, but it's good enough for the most part. I'd say it's somewhere between a Jaguar XF (not great) and a 5 Series (excellent).

Certainly something I would consider in future, I think the Model 3 will do incredibly well.

Caporegime
What’s the basis for your comment in reservation holders? Interested as I’m one of them since 16!

Because they’re likely to be able to build pretty quickly so no major waits. I’m not sure European reservation holders got any preferential treatment compared to general public when the rest of Europe got access.

so AP is standard across the range :) was FSD changed to an Add-on? is it worth the extra ?

AP is lane keeping and intelligent cruise control, the standard sort of system seen on many cars now.

The Tesla “unique” stuff is now only available in the FSD package.

Everything was changed a month or so ago, so anything older than that talking about packages is out of date. They changed it a couple of weeks before including cruise and lane keeping in every package.

Soldato

They’ll open the order books to everyone and first come first served. In Norway people were ordering cars and having them delivered within 10 days (if one matching the spec was already in transit) and that’s without any existing reservation.

In the US the short range went on sale without any priority for reservation holders, annoying a lot of people who queued on day 1 and didn’t want the long range/performance.

The only place it’s been an advantage is in the US for the first few batches of long range and performance cars. Since then it hasn’t had an impact.

By the time they come to the UK they’ll been churning them out so quickly it won’t really matter even if they give reservations priority. But given other countries track records, they won’t.

Soldato
For more than a decade, Tesla engineers have been obsessed with making the world’s most efficient electric vehicles. As a result, Tesla vehicles already travel farther on a single charge than any other production EV on the market. Today, we’re making changes to Model S and Model X that allow them to travel unprecedented distances without needing to recharge, beating our own record for the longest-range production EVs on the road. And we’ve accomplished this without increasing the cars’ battery size, proving that our expertise in system-level design can make our cars dramatically more efficient.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/blog/longest-range-electric-vehicle-now-goes-even-farther?redirect=no

Soldato
Soldato
Thought this review of the model 3 was interesting...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/tesla-model-3-review

Interesting as in fake? They blatantly haven't even had the car... a "review" without any photographs, just stock images... and a write-up that is simply quoting marketing blurb and the same comments as seen on every other website ever (touchscreen for the windscreen wipers / car for the doors etc).

Jesus wept what an awful excuse for an article! In fact there are grammar and incorrect wordings as well. Wired can't even afford a competent editor!

Associate
You think it's fake because it wasn't a fawning fan boy write up?

And before you deny being a fan boy, take a look through your posting history as I just did. Don't make me start taking lots of quotes out to prove it, I don't have the time.

Soldato
Average price for a standard range Model S is about €80k in Europe or £71.7k in the UK. If you take the same translation then the average Model 3 SR+ at €42.6k would be £38k before incentives of £3.5k.

Can't believe how expensive the fully automatic auto pilot is :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't believe how expensive the fully automatic auto pilot is :o

That includes full self driving when it appears in a car that’s costs less then £50k in total. Bargain if you ask me compared to the cost of a waymo car. Assuming it all gets approved you can add your car to a robo taxi service to make you money when you are not using it. In theory the car pays for itself very quickly.

Soldato
That includes full self driving when it appears in a car that’s costs less then £50k in total. Bargain if you ask me compared to the cost of a waymo car. Assuming it all gets approved you can add your car to a robo taxi service to make you money when you are not using it. In theory the car pays for itself very quickly.

Yeah but as of today, can it even navigate on motorway with auto lane change? As someone who would find buying a Tesla a huge purchase rather than luxury cars always being on the driveway, I would need to really think about adding it on. Especially considering Elon seems to change his mind on pricing every week.

Soldato
Yes, the included self-driving is aimed exactly at this market, highway/motorway driving with very little input from the user.
In North America only as it stands but yes, EU coming soon*. In NA it may be possible to use AP on any street by the end of 2019*, stopping for stop lights and signs on its own. Being realistic it will still be level 2 and require full attention at all time but it will certainly be interesting times for those that bought it.

*Tesla time means it will likely be late.

Elon seems to change his mind on pricing every week.

It's really not any different to dealing with dealers on other brands, X company advertises a car for £28k on their website, you could pay anything between £23k and £28k depending on payment method, the day of the week, which dealer or even which location within the same dealer network and sometimes what side of the bed the salesman got out of this morning. It's going up at the end of the month again...

At the end of the day the price on the day is the price on the day, you are either happy with it or your not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom