The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Soldato
The standard range will be 3-6 months for Europe.

It’s interesting all of the models have slightly different ranges, and the mid range stayed. I guess it helps with the cliff edge pricing that they had before and encourages people to upgrade as it’s only a small price jump now.

I can’t see them making too many $35k models but I suppose the same thing goes for all manufacturers, non of them want you to buy the base model.

Caporegime
Ummmm the majority of those waiting and pre-ordered are on the basis of the 35k base model :)

I read a survey on it a while ago. Like 70% or something like that.

Or is that not what you're saying? :)

Soldato
Very nice.

Really wasn't expecting that to happen so soon. Reckon Partial Premium will be the popular package though. It offers a few nice extras for $2k.

It'll be £35k inc taxes over here I reckon, as even a direct conversion is £26,500 + VAT. £31,500 after PICG; BMW 3/4 series money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or is that not what you're saying? :)

That’s not what I am saying, what I meant was that they just won’t make that many if they can sell the higher priced models like they have been able to do for the last year or so. The cheapest car will always have a long lead time with demand out stripping supply if they can sell everything else.

But now you mention preorders, your right loads were only in for the $35k car but that’s when the next price point was probally over $40k.

What they have done now is add a load more options between $35k and the AWD premium model @ $48k. They are anti selling the $35k car by putting out the slightly higher priced model and saying the cheaper one will take longer to deliver.

People will look at the standard plus and think, that’s only $2k more and it has more range and features and I can get it in a few weeks, Im in. Before they were looking at a much larger chunk of money.

Soldato
So does todays announcement on dealerships closing in preference to online purchase, really not impact the support network ?
do the dealerships genuinely have no role in that, shared purpose

https://electrek.co/2019/02/28/tesl...es-sales-online-only-closes-stores-w-layoffs/
https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now
Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable us to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing us to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than we expected. Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers. The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.

At the same time, we will be increasing our investment in the Tesla service system, with the goal of same-day, if not same-hour service, and with most service done by us coming to you, rather than you coming to us. Moreover, we guarantee service availability anywhere in any country in which we operate.

Soldato
I think it means the stores you see in shopping centres will go, they don’t do any work after you commit to buy. There will still be the big service centres and a few other key retail locations.

Soldato
Part of the premium branding of products has hitherto been the visible show rooms ; if the consumer can see that their absence is not detracting from the product experience, then fine, but, like the demise of bricks'n'mortar stores (for clothes purchases say) or the mattress in a box market, the market has not become more efficient.

I would contend the tesla exterior branding is not, itself, very distinctive - I cannot spot one at 200yards, I have never seen discussions on the pedigree of designers that they have onboard.

Perhaps they have aspirations to become the next, ubiquitous, Volkswagon

Soldato
I suspect "visible showrooms" greatly depends upon where you live. The Birmingham one is out of the centre, as is the Manchester one. And I've never been to Knutsford. So I can honestly say that I've never been in to one of their showrooms.

I do remember driving past one once. Might have been the Birmingham store. Or the Bristol one?

I have sat in an X and driven an S though. The X was a temporary display in the Bullring. The S was at an event day. AFAIK, there are no plans to stop either of those types of events.

Soldato
That would be my guess. The service centres are staying, so it's also possible that they ask you to pick the car up there? Or maybe they'll go back to the model they had early on; have a few teams touring the country, holding events at shopping centres and tourist attractions. Compared to the rent in major shopping centres, any of the above will likely be substantially cheaper.

Soldato
So Tesla have just announced the new V3 Supercharger, which is ~250kW or equivalent to around 1,000 miles per hour of charging, and this will be available in Model 3 first, followed by S and X at a later date with software being pushed to vehicles.

Seems that along with the M3 now being available in its entry level price point and the new charging capabilities, Tesla have covered off the competition for another block of time.

Back
Top Bottom