*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I've started training at the gym at the high school, it's got pretty good equipment and db's up to 50kg which is good enough. Only problem is it's full of weeds, basically tons of scrawny 18 year olds doing 500 sets benching and then curling afterwards.

Sometimes I think I've walked into the creche at my gym, it's that bad.

Had taken a day off work to do some x-mas shopping and was getting some cardio in before a night out visiting a friend at uni when about 60 kids from a local secondary school swarmed in. So glad I wasn't actually training and just doing cardio. Takes the **** sometimes.

Soldato
My bbing gym is fine to train at but it's to cold, theres no heaters and I really can't bare training in minus temperatures anymore, hands getting stuck to bars etc it's that cold.

I've got that. My equipment is in the garage and it's just free weights, squat rack and a bench with a sit-up mat, and my god does it take the mick to warm up as well as the bars are so brass monkeys you hesitate to touch the bar and i'm wearing like 2 gloves on my hands.

Thinking about going to a gym where my mate does boxing classes at Newman University College and using their facilities until it get's warmer.

Man of Honour
Can anyone here help out with speccing me a twice a week weights workout ?

I have not touched the weights in over two years and have been doing cardio only.

Getting to the gym between shifts and looking after little Von is an art sometimes.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I've started training at the gym at the high school, it's got pretty good equipment and db's up to 50kg which is good enough. Only problem is it's full of weeds, basically tons of scrawny 18 year olds doing 500 sets benching and then curling afterwards.

Didnt almost all of us start out that way :D

I train at a high school gym when I go to Poland. Some of the young lads there shift some serious weight :( It me that feels a weed then lol

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Yes its very popular. a lot of older guys I know over there run at least low dose dbol almost all year.

But I'm talking about 16-18 year old lads still training during school. Fantastic form on cleans, snatches etc and shifting some nice weight.

Man of Honour
Day 1:
Squats - 4 sets, could play around with a pyramid like 12,10,8,6,12 or straight 4x10
Stiff leg deadlift 3x10
Shoulder press (barbell or dumbell) OR Hang-clean to push press if you want some punishment - 4x10
Leg press - 3x12 or brutalise yourself with a few sets of 20 :eek:
Arnold press 3x10
Rear Delt isolation 2x12
Lateral delt isolation 2x12
Calf isolation

Day 2:
Deadlift 5x5
Bench (Flat barbell/dumbell) 4x10 or 12,10,8,6
Bent over row 4x10 or 12,10,8,6
Incline DB/BB bench 3x10
Pullup OR Pulldown 3x10
Dips 3x10
T-bar row OR cable row 3x10
Bicep isolation 2x12
Tricep isolation 2x12

Fairly simple, although I'm assuming you have two days rest between gym days or it will need some tinkering with. "Set"x"Rep" scheme should be treated fairly flexibly, feel free to increase the volume if you want.

Although...probably should ask what your goals are, depending on what you want you could cut out a lot of the isolation.

Last edited:
Associate
Didnt almost all of us start out that way :D

I train at a high school gym when I go to Poland. Some of the young lads there shift some serious weight :( It me that feels a weed then lol

Tbh polish are mad, and crazy about training etc, most polish aspire to be the biggest, strongest etc, whilst in our country the mentality is aspire to be the most metrosexual pencil neck lol.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Looks good to me! One of Rippetoe's?

Similar I guess.

Something an oly wrestling coach gave me a long time ago and when I'm travelling often with work and can only get down twice a week its what I'll follow.

If you're doing that properly then that should destroy you twice a week

Man of Honour
Day 1:
Squats - 4 sets, could play around with a pyramid like 12,10,8,6,12 or straight 4x10
Stiff leg deadlift 3x10
Shoulder press (barbell or dumbell) OR Hang-clean to push press if you want some punishment - 4x10
Leg press - 3x12 or brutalise yourself with a few sets of 20 :eek:
Arnold press 3x10
Rear Delt isolation 2x12
Lateral delt isolation 2x12
Calf isolation

Day 2:
Deadlift 5x5
Bench (Flat barbell/dumbell) 4x10 or 12,10,8,6
Bent over row 4x10 or 12,10,8,6
Incline DB/BB bench 3x10
Pullup OR Pulldown 3x10
Dips 3x10
T-bar row OR cable row 3x10
Bicep isolation 2x12
Tricep isolation 2x12

Fairly simple, although I'm assuming you have two days rest between gym days or it will need some tinkering with. "Set"x"Rep" scheme should be treated fairly flexibly, feel free to increase the volume if you want.

Although...probably should ask what your goals are, depending on what you want you could cut out a lot of the isolation.

Thanks for that. :)

Goal is to get back in shape and tray and stay there. I am not looking to look like Jean-Claude or really bulk up. Just have a decent physique.

Man of Honour
You could potentially drop the isolation stuff then, although it is good to do occasionally to keep everything in condition.

Paz suggested power cleans which are awesome and can be done on either day, but make sure you get someone to show you how to do them. Actually the same applies to most of the exercises listed (deadlift and squat primarily). Apologies if I'm assuming an undue level of rookie-ness :p

Man of Honour
Had the pleasure of sharing the gym with a charming chap today. After every set he kept walking over to the mirror and checking himself out, lifting up his top and checking his abs out

Then he'd kept saying "My chest is ******** pumped man! ******* pumped!!!", "Oh man feels so tight, ripped!"

Was the lulz, was a bit like Brucey out of GTA4

Caporegime
Just had a hugely satisfying leg session, absolutely smahsed my PB squat of 150kg:

5x140kg
5x150kg
5x160kg
5x170kg
5x180kg
5x180kg

Hamstring curls:
5x5@84kg

Leg press:
5x5@180kg (max stack)

Calf raises:
5x5@180kg (max stack)

Quad extensions:
5x5@84kg

Walking home on the ice roads was a bit tricky after that lot.

What a way to do the last leg session of the year :cool:

Caporegime
Just had a hugely satisfying leg session, absolutely smahsed my PB squat of 150kg:

5x140kg
5x150kg
5x160kg
5x170kg
5x180kg
5x180kg

Hamstring curls:
5x5@84kg

Leg press:
5x5@180kg (max stack)

Calf raises:
5x5@180kg (max stack)

Quad extensions:
5x5@84kg

Walking home on the ice roads was a bit tricky after that lot.

What a way to do the last leg session of the year :cool:

Well done, but I don't understand how you managed to smash a PB by 30kg in one go. I usually break PB's every workout by 2.5kg's but 30kg in one go is insane. Especially for 5 reps too.

Back
Top Bottom