*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morba I'm moving in with you! I'll be the hobo that hides in your attic and uses the gym when people are out or at night.

The day you discover me I'll be throwing you around like a 10kg atlas stone.

so im thinking of just skipping those 2 and adding more reps onto the rest

I tend to hold the bar 'between' my traps and rear delts. It kinda sits in the groove. I also keep my head back as I get lower (basically keep looking foward, not down) which helps stop the bar rolling.

That's right.

Just because you don't like an exercise doesn't mean you should stop doing it. It means you should do it more!
I hate benching and bicep training, yet because I never trained them I'm weaker over all.

I look at myself and go, FFS! You should just do them, they'll make everything better.

If there's 3 things I wish I just got down to and did when I started training propperly it would have been the [Clean and Press], [Benchpress] and [Bicep work].
Now I'm stuck playing catch up, where I could have been much stronger and have total lifts over all.

It really ****es me off a lot when I get thinking about it, and because of that even with all my college work and me finishing next week I try to get as much training done as possible.
Especially when I look at myself last year in college, where I got my 140kg squat and 190kg deadlift raw weighing in at 69kg, after only deciding I to train like a powerlifting in November; with only 5 months prior experience with any weights.

Since then I've barely improved because I lacked proper bench training and ended up injuring myself for my summer holiday. It's been nothing back catch up since then.

So if you struggle or don't like them, look up how to propperly do them, I'm sure Ripptoe has videos on all of it.
It'll be for your benefit.

Last edited:
Well folks I've been spending a lot of time reading and absorbing information in preparation for starting a proper routine next week.

In particular I've been reading Rippetoe's book and think I will plan out a gym regime around the stuff in there. Very simple stuff, lots of compound lifts, pullups and dips. Alternatively, there is also the WsfSB programme that looks great because it incorporates explosive training. I will be supplementing this with those badass complexes and HIIT exercise. On my chill days I would like to do a relaxed 5k run. I train MMA/Muay Thai 5 days a week so fitting everything in will be a bit of a challenge.

For eating I have been reading BennyC's Intermittent Fasting thread and the leangains site. This seems like a fantastic idea for me because I simply cannot spend hours preparing food and timing food intake etc.

Last week I had a 1RM of 100kg for the deadlift, weighing 72.4kg myself. I haven't gone for squats or bench press yet but when I have I'll add my scores to the league, which will allow me to keep track of my progress as well as provide lots of motivation!

I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments you guys give.

Just don't try to do too much at first shroomz!

Stick to Ripptoes for a good while before chaning things or doing too much. Remembe you need to rest and heal, you can't do that if you're going at it all week long.

I actually wouldn't recommend that you do WSFSB unless you can can do all of it as laid out originally.

There is a lot less benefit to tampering and tweaking programs than you might imagine. Pick one, go with it for a while, change to something different.

I've used 5x5 for strength, but once you get to the point where you can squat and deadlift 180kg you're bound to be quite a bit more muscular too.

What I'm trying to say is that a strength-based routine is often the best way to train if you're a beginner. Once you've tripled your strength in the big lifts, you'll be a whole lot bigger and well-placed to start more advanced routines aimed at size.

/edit: HST is a (supposedly) very good technique for gaining raw mass.

Last edited:
Chest+triceps day

BB bench:
20kgx8
40kgx6
60kgx4
70kgx2
75kgx1
80kgx1
60kgx4

Finally got round to doing a bench 1RM and damn that was tough. Went up to halfway fine and got stuck for a good 3-4 seconds before i pushed it up. Spotter almost grabbed it but i shouted at him just in time :p

Deadlift day!

Taking it easy because I'm looking after my pulled lower back/high glute. I could feel it fatiguing put there wasn't any pain so I think I found the right level. Was meant to be 235 for two doubles but just did a couple of singles. By the feel of things I might miss my max target slightly but should have 240+ next week. At least I know exactly where to work on now for my next cycle, so I'm no longer gaining by just luck!

Finished off the day with some speed deads and some sled drags, horrible.

Well I found out what's wrong with me.

Seems I get Hayfever, not the nice kind either. It's looks to people like I have the flu.
I get congested nose, itchy eyes, itchy throat, sneezing, post nasal drip, coughing and pressure in the ears.

Thank goodness I'm not bad enough to get headaches and asthma from it.

Nearly made a fool of myself today because of it though, I went into town with the housemate to get some antihistamine for it, after I buy it I sneezed as walking out and felt a pop in my right ear, it felt like I had an ear plug in there and suddenly the world began so spin.

I lost all balance when trying to walk, seems my ears completely buggered me up there because of that.
I was walking like a drunk hobo, all about the place. Actually had to lean against a wall for a minute or two until everything stopped spinning and the my ears felt fine.

Hayfever is evil, can't believe I get it now after all these years.

Well I found out what's wrong with me.

Seems I get Hayfever, not the nice kind either. It's looks to people like I have the flu.
I get congested nose, itchy eyes, itchy throat, sneezing, post nasal drip, coughing and pressure in the ears.

Thank goodness I'm not bad enough to get headaches and asthma from it.

Nearly made a fool of myself today because of it though, I went into town with the housemate to get some antihistamine for it, after I buy it I sneezed as walking out and felt a pop in my right ear, it felt like I had an ear plug in there and suddenly the world began so spin.

I lost all balance when trying to walk, seems my ears completely buggered me up there because of that.
I was walking like a drunk hobo, all about the place. Actually had to lean against a wall for a minute or two until everything stopped spinning and the my ears felt fine.

Hayfever is evil, can't believe I get it now after all these years.

I once contracted the E.bola virus while hunting lions in Africa with nothing but a bottle of vodka and a dirty spatula. After flogging two alpha-male lions to death with the spatula, I stacked them both over my shoulders and began repping them out for a clean set of eight deep squats. Unsurprisingly I was instantly cured, and have never been sick again. Just man up and do some squats and you will never have hayfever again. :cool:

I once contracted the E.bola virus while hunting lions in Africa with nothing but a bottle of vodka and a dirty spatula. After flogging two alpha-male lions to death with the spatula, I stacked them both over my shoulders and began repping them out for a clean set of eight deep squats. Unsurprisingly I was instantly cured, and have never been sick again. Just man up and do some squats and you will never have hayfever again. :cool:

I did my squats on Thursday with it. 120kg was brutal, as I can't breathe through my nose haha.

Last week my personal best dead lift was 95kg. This week I went for 100kg and did it quite easily so added more. I ended up lifting 115kg, I had to count it a few times to make sure. So a 20kg increase in 1 week isn't bad :D
I think I managed that much more because my technique has really improved since first trying dead lifting 2 weeks ago.

Next week 120kg :)

Deadlifts this afternoon. I'm going to pull up 215kg, even if I have to spend the night in the gym, constantly trying! Been gearing my whole Sunday so far for 4pm when the first lift should commence. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom