*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Cheers for clering that up for me :D as im about to tuck into my £2 pot of cocnutterly fair ben and jerrys :D

Ughhhh. Back felt weak as hell today no idea why. Had to do deadlifts last in my routine because the bars were being used the whole time and even 80kg felt tough as..
Only managed;
60kgx8
80kgx6
80kgx4
60kgx6
:mad:

I always tend to wait till bars are free, i never start without doing my deads first, had to wait 20 so minutes today (luckily i was done with work so i ahd all evening for it)

Deads i did

60kg x 8
80kg x 8
100kg x 8
110kg x 8
120kg x 6
130kg x 2
140kg x 1

Followed by a mammoth back session :D im rinsed

Still get a bigger pump on my right side of my back than my left :confused: cant figure how i can iron this out

Man of Honour
Squat Day!

Final session before testing my max, today was a repeat of what I was meant to do last monday where I didn't complete the workout properly. This time the aim was to smash out 2x2 at 215kg instead a couple of singles. As I was warming up it occurred to me that maybe my belt had been a little loose for the last few weeks (it's a lever belt so you have to unscrew some bits to alter the tightness). I've been trying to cut down some body fat but I haven't seen much difference on the scales so I didn't really think about checking my belt. Turns out I was right, tightening my belt made a HUGE difference. There was a reason my belt had gotten more comfortable :p

Job done! I love my loud spotters :D That was the second set, the first one was a breeze. I'm beginning to find there being some truth to knowing how a squat will go from the way you unrack it. Obviously you can't let such things bother you when you're under the bar, but as I unracked the bar on the first set I knew it was going to be easy...even though the last time I tried this weight it was miserable for just 1 rep.

The journey down to ~85kg continues though, I MUST make the 83kg weight class!

Associate
Me and a friend are going to get our memberships to the gym renewed this week, we're on a voyage of self improvement!

Anyone got any suggestions where to start for a relatviely unfit, skinny-ish heavy smoker? I've seen some example routines but seems like too much when just starting out!

Soldato
Try packing up the fags would help ... hell man ... a lot. If it's bodybuilding you're looking at getting into, read the sticky on top of this page as it's very valuable to people starting out. If it's general health and well-being, a lot of treadmill work coupled with moderate weight training.

Caporegime
Try packing up the fags would help ... hell man ... a lot. If it's bodybuilding you're looking at getting into, read the sticky on top of this page as it's very valuable to people starting out. If it's general health and well-being, a lot of treadmill work coupled with moderate weight training.

Aye, read the sticky, Gordys etc...It's a great start

Soldato
I hate to re-iterate what others have said, but if you can cut down and eventually pack up Smoking, or go completely cold turkey, this will help enormously - Smoking does increase healing times significantly and will also affect any gains you might want from the Gym as well.

If you are want to build mass, there is a great sticky, rowing/cross training/biking (I prefer these to running) helps keep your Cardiovascular System in check and coupled with Hypertrophic Specific Training and a good diet will stop you from losing even more weight as I believed you mentioned you were quite skinny (as I am).

I'm still learning now. I've been doing it for over a year constantly, but everyone is very helpful on here.

Soldato
I was meant to go to the London meet on Saturday, but sadly my Starter Motor broke on my old Spitfire...it would have been great to meet some of you.

However, I did manage to some work that morning - Leg Work - I managed to SLDL 100kg, which I was quite proud of - yet, 3 reps was all I could manage - my grip failed :(

Before that, I did 5 @ 50kg, 5 @ 60kg, 5 @ 70kg, 5 @ 90kg on SLDL.

Prior to this exercise, I did Squats - 5x5s @ 40kg, not much but this Saturday I will be trying to get to the 50kg mark next Saturday.

After this I did 5x5 @ 30kg on the donkey Calf lift.

Did some shoulder stuff afterwards - Shrugs - 8x3 @ 45kg, Delt-Raise was 8x3 with 2x 8kg dumb-bells and I did a Shoulder Press on the Smith, 8x3 @ 40kg.

I didn't fit everything in, but I will be doing some more work today, I'm thinking Chest & Triceps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom