*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
Had first session at new gym today, quite fun although lost lots of strength. Did a few deadlifts up to a max of 140kg x 5 which is way short of the 170 x 5 I have done or 190 for a single.

I must have looked a right plank as I was wandering around trying to work out which machines did what. Even found one that is meant for grip and forearm strength, had a quick go but wasn't too convinced by that so I don't think I'll bother in future.

Some very nice looking ladies were training too which is always a bonus

Sounds like a good gym if it has grip specific stuff!
what gym is it? only place i've seen with a plate loaded gripper is the gallery in windsor

Caporegime
OP
Sooooo, this happened...

:D

Slow and grindy as ****! I need to be an inch or so lower really, but I'm not bothered about that at this stage. Apart from being being bit lower, I need to not mess around getting my stance set as much, for some reason that was an issue all of today. It needs to be one step back and set. Also, not enough people came to spot properly :eek:, and when faced with the choice of safety or having it filmed, well you know... :o:D

The run up to this was horrible. Felt like crap today, posterior chain still roasted from complexes on friday and my abortion of a deadlift session on saturday. To make things worse we got kicked out of the gym early so my warm up was all over the place and I didn't get chance to mobilise as much as I wanted - was hoping to foam roll some of my hamstring DOMS away, but had to squat with it still burning. I almost didn't bother with the lift because I was so sure I was going to miss it, but obviously I'm glad I did. With this in mind, at the risk of being too cocky, I still think I have more in the tank, especially considering how fresh I felt afterwards which was bizarre.

I hope you roared like a ****ing wild beast after racking that :D

Man of Honour
Sounds like a good gym if it has grip specific stuff!
what gym is it? only place i've seen with a plate loaded gripper is the gallery in windsor

The grip stuff at that gym isn't bad - but it doesn't quite go heavy enough after a while.

Duncan, the lat pull-over machine is fantastic for a superset when doing some back work. The rotator cuff machine is good for warming up the joints and building up some strength too. :)

Associate
The grip stuff at that gym isn't bad - but it doesn't quite go heavy enough after a while.

Duncan, the lat pull-over machine is fantastic for a superset when doing some back work. The rotator cuff machine is good for warming up the joints and building up some strength too. :)

Ah thanks for the tip, I did see the lat pullover machine tucked away in the corner but tbh I wasn't too sure about using it. Didn't want to look like a complete pillock by climbing in it the wrong way lol!

I must have missed the rotator cuff machine, i'll have to keep an eye out for it. The seated row machine wasn't too bad, but I didn't think much of the curling machine - I think i'll use an olly bar in future if there is room.

Man of Honour
He's got short bars which is good for straight bar curls. The rotator cuff machine is directly to the right at the entrance of the 1st part of the gym next to the calf machine.

The pull over machine is quite easy to use once you start using it - just set up the pivot points carefully.

TBH the only items I really used there, was the main rack, the floor, and all the machines I used for supersetting or 2ndary exercises.

Don't be scared to ask Chris - and let me know when you want to train! :D

Associate
He's got short bars which is good for straight bar curls. The rotator cuff machine is directly to the right at the entrance of the 1st part of the gym next to the calf machine.

The pull over machine is quite easy to use once you start using it - just set up the pivot points carefully.

TBH the only items I really used there, was the main rack, the floor, and all the machines I used for supersetting or 2ndary exercises.

Don't be scared to ask Chris - and let me know when you want to train! :D

Cool, give me a few weeks to get a bit of strength back and then we'll have to sort something out.

Not sure when i'm going to be able to start squatting again though, as when I wasn't a member i tried to do a bit of jogging and it has ruined both my knees. Hopefully I should be ok late this week or maybe next as I really do need to sort my squat out.

It's embarassing and a lesson to all the kids that you shouldn't neglect legs when you first start the gym!

Associate
So, I had my first day at the gym yesterday, lifting big boy weights :D

I am (largely) following the programme set out in Rippetoe's book.
I did Squats -
WeightxRepetitionsxSets
20x5x2
40x3x1
60x5x3 (work set)
My plan was to go heavier and do bodyweight (70) but I was on my own and 60 was really, REALLY wobbly so I backed off and did
50x5x5

Bench press
20x5x2
30x5x1
40x5x1
50x5x5

Deadlifts
40x5x3
60x5x3
By this time I was seeing spots so I put the bar away and did 2 sets of 4 pullups (weak, I know :(). I felt like I could go heavier on everything, especially deadlifts with my PB of 100kg but I didn't want to spew on my first day at the gym xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom