*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Legs are feeling tired from yesterdays cardio but its squats later and i've been looking forward to them for a week :cool:

Strange to think only a couple of months ago i hated leg day with a passion...

Man of Honour
Very good mate. I wish I had people like you, Benny and FF to train with.
When you settle into a good gym you'll find people who drive you. In the last year I've been lucky, previously I was in the same situation as you.

In other news, it turns out that I have to qualify for nationals (powerlifting) in the weight class I want to compete in. It makes sense, but as this is all quite short notice it's going to be a real situation to make weight. I'm currently aiming to qualify in a comp on June 19th with my brother, which is incredibly bad timing considering I get back from "tour" (a.k.a getting drunk and eating bad food) with my football team a few days before. I could just not drink and eat like a saint, but that would seem like a waste of a trip :p The other problem is that I'm also revising for exams so I don't really want the low energy associated with being in a calorie deficit...

I'm not concerned about qualifying, as far as I remember I can do that with my eyes closed. The problem is making the 83kg weight class where I could actually do quite well, and considering this is a national level we're talking about I'm obviously keen to show off my years worth of proper powerlifting experience ;)

Currently around 87-88kg in the morning, that needs to be 85kg at the very most, then with luck I can drop another 2kg with some savage water loading protocol action. Given enough time I could drop that in bodyfat, I just hope that rushing it won't mess up my lifts too much...

Soldato
Been out for a long time, I injured my shoulder roughly a year ago, carried on training. December when fighting it hurt so bad I couldn't move it. Carried on training. Got too much now seen a physio, been seeing her for 3-4 months and still shoulder is knackered. She said it's not a rotary cuff issue as I have complete range of motion but thinks it's one of the tendons that go over the ball or something. Not getting better already said to her it's not getting better going to mention it again this Thursday.

Caporegime
Been out for a long time, I injured my shoulder roughly a year ago, carried on training. December when fighting it hurt so bad I couldn't move it. Carried on training. Got too much now seen a physio, been seeing her for 3-4 months and still shoulder is knackered. She said it's not a rotary cuff issue as I have complete range of motion but thinks it's one of the tendons that go over the ball or something. Not getting better already said to her it's not getting better going to mention it again this Thursday.

You know what...That sounds exactly like my injury (still got issues) so i'm intrigued to hear what goes on with this so keep us posted :))

As you said, they think that it wasn't the rotator cuff, but more where the ball joins in and on the back tendon (don't know the names)

shoulderjoint.jpg

Going by that, I think mine where refering to the joining tendons around the main ball joint...but God knows...as since the injury my colar bone needs to be clicked every other day

Last edited:
Soldato
I had legs and shoulders today and found a new exercise that destroys me.

I had just an empty 20KG bar across my shoulder as if I was about to squat, I then lunged forward into the lunge position, while in that position I did a shoulder press, then stood back up, then lunged back with the other leg and held it while I did a shoulder press.

Even with an empty bar it ruined me :o

Soldato
You know what...That sounds exactly like my injury (still got issues) so i'm intrigued to hear what goes on with this so keep us posted :))

As you said, they think that it wasn't the rotator cuff, but more where the ball joins in and on the back tendon (don't know the names)

shoulderjoint.jpg

Going by that, I think mine where refering to the joining tendons around the main ball joint...but God knows...as since the injury my colar bone needs to be clicked every other day

I will do mate. The way I did mine was stupid, I was doing my 2nd to last warm up set on incline (80k) bench press and I reached the top of the press and instead of lowering it slowly I literally dropped the weight and stopped it an inch above my chest and felt my shoulder go.

You know mine was exactly the same- the back tendon they thing it is as when I put my arm behind my back and she presses it then I get pain. I'm not sure if I should play it safe or just get back to training, it's not getting any better :(

Caporegime
I will do mate. The way I did mine was stupid, I was doing my 2nd to last warm up set on incline (80k) bench press and I reached the top of the press and instead of lowering it slowly I literally dropped the weight and stopped it an inch above my chest and felt my shoulder go.

You know mine was exactly the same- the back tendon they thing it is as when I put my arm behind my back and she presses it then I get pain. I'm not sure if I should play it safe or just get back to training, it's not getting any better :(

Aye, sucks! I stopped dead, and did nothing for about 3 months as evening something as trival as pushing a door open would hurt like hell! And don't even get me started on ironing :p

Mines probably slightely less than yours..As on the whole mine is 'okay', I can feel it most of the time, then other times its worse than other days...Possibly due to the rest? I don't know

I haven't has anyone apply pressure to it so i'm not sure about pain when being pressed...Main thing is now if I do a slow reverse windmill type action the shoulder will make an almighty 'clunk' noise, lovely eh? :)

What has the physio got you doing out of interest? I have some light weight work I can do to mine, need to get back into it if I am honest!

@icecold: Ta for the link, going through everything and reading it all currently :)

Soldato
Aye, sucks! I stopped dead, and did nothing for about 3 months as evening something as trival as pushing a door open would hurt like hell! And don't even get me started on ironing :p

Mines probably slightely less than yours..As on the whole mine is 'okay', I can feel it most of the time, then other times its worse than other days...Possibly due to the rest? I don't know

I haven't has anyone apply pressure to it so i'm not sure about pain when being pressed...Main thing is now if I do a slow reverse windmill type action the shoulder will make an almighty 'clunk' noise, lovely eh? :)

What has the physio got you doing out of interest? I have some light weight work I can do to mine, need to get back into it if I am honest!

@Icecold: Ta for the link, going through everything and reading it all currently :)

Hi mate, I actually lost power in my arm. The girl I'm seeing in physio I couldn't move her when she put all her weight on my arms, with the other arm I sent her flying. I now can move her so it's an improvement.

Like I said I carried on training and it hurt but I didn't lose power, I managed to do my 160k PB bench with the shoulder but it was when I was fighting I did something bad to it.

Like you I sometimes feel it other times I don't. I shadow boxed last night for a few mins and my shoulder hurt like hell after and I didn't even throw anything hard.

Currently I'm doing standing press ups with a gym ball bringing my shoulder blades together and then lowering them and doing that, she keeps saying about back strength... Also with one of those rubber bands I have that attached to something and keep my arm straight and basically do reps of moving it in slowly then out. The only problem with the back muscle things is, My back is relatively strong so I can't see it helping.

I'm going to have a word with her but I'm going back training soon it's not getting any better from where it was and I've been out of training a long time.

Soldato
I think I've burst a vein in my arm from training. Last month I noticed a relatively small blood patch under my skin(GF noticed it too) on a vein in my left arm. It's still not showed a single sign of disappearing. Not sure whether I should get it checked out or not?

Caporegime
Hi mate, I actually lost power in my arm. The girl I'm seeing in physio I couldn't move her when she put all her weight on my arms, with the other arm I sent her flying. I now can move her so it's an improvement.

Like I said I carried on training and it hurt but I didn't lose power, I managed to do my 160k PB bench with the shoulder but it was when I was fighting I did something bad to it.

Like you I sometimes feel it other times I don't. I shadow boxed last night for a few mins and my shoulder hurt like hell after and I didn't even throw anything hard.

Currently I'm doing standing press ups with a gym ball bringing my shoulder blades together and then lowering them and doing that, she keeps saying about back strength... Also with one of those rubber bands I have that attached to something and keep my arm straight and basically do reps of moving it in slowly then out. The only problem with the back muscle things is, My back is relatively strong so I can't see it helping.

I'm going to have a word with her but I'm going back training soon it's not getting any better from where it was and I've been out of training a long time.

Aye, i've been out for 5 months now probably? It's funny because each time I try and get back into lifting and do it properly, something bodges up and stops me :p

Try doing what I call reverse lateral raises...Basically get a small weight (5kg or so) raise it so its about 20 degress from vertical, and then lower it so it reaches your hips basically...then repeat. Then as the days go on slowly increase the weight, this started to help me a bit, but I got lazy and stopped.
Going to keep doing it now though as well :)

Caporegime
I think I've burst a vein in my arm from training. Last month I noticed a relatively small blood patch under my skin(GF noticed it too) on a vein in my left arm. It's still not showed a single sign of disappearing. Not sure whether I should get it checked out or not?

If its been there a while maybe...Is it causing pain? (I am presuming a burst vein would cause a lot of pain? :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom