*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Was just at the doc today.

Seems I pinched a nerve near my spine in my lower back, which is causes all the muscles near it to go into a permanent cramp.

This morning when I tried to get out of bed was the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life. I couldn't sit up or stand up, much less roll onto my side.

Right now I'm on a mixed pain med, muscle relaxant and strong anit-inflamitory. Sitting is the best thing I can do he says, as long as I lock my back and sip 100% upright.

When I stand up I'm to luck my back in, roll my shoulder back and push off with my heels. Sounds like a deadlift to me haha, I have 0% pain when I stand like that.

So I can't do anything this week, not even allowed to walk since it aggrivates it all, if I feel better after the weekend I'll be allowed to go for short walk, by the end of that week I may only start light swimming if I have full range of motion again. 10-14 days after that I can start lifting again.

This all assumes that the pain, cramps and lack of motion clear up well enough by the end of the weekend.

Sucks man :(

Was this a prior injury at all?

Soldato
Sucks man :(

Was this a prior injury at all?

I always got the odd little chronic pain thanks to my lordosis and back problem. Lifting basically fixed it all.

Yesterday after I finished lifting and starting putting weight away, I felt an instant sting putting a 25kg plate down. I must have relaxed for an instant and let my lower back curve then BAM!

The pain is managable now with all the pills and muscle relaxants, but it's still constantly sore and the muscles are in a permanent cramp. The doctor nearly killed me it felt, when he lied me down, pushed a knee to my chest and my right shoulder back. Tresting my flexibility. I can't bend backwards at all, without hitting that nerve.

There was a pop, and then I could stand upright for the first time today. Now I need to manage the inflamation and muscle cramps that are pinching on my nerve.

I have to stand up and sit down in the squat position, and lock my joints and skeleton structure to avoid using my back muscle otherwise they cramp up badly again.

I'll manage anyway, I always do. This is just a major set back for my lifting. Which is what fixed all my problem in the first place.

Soldato
I so wish there's a pill I could take that would instantly make me revile all forms of sugary crap. At the moment my whole being is screaming out for a Crunchie or just about any chocolate but I have to stop giving in to these type of cravings.

Soldato
Haha I'm in the same boat now Regulus. When ever I can't train my body starts with cravings.

I find the best thing to do is get some merengues. Only 50 calories a pop and they satisfy the sugar cravings fast.

A pill like that would be epic though. I do try to get more fruit in though. I once forced myself off all sugar for a month, then tried a pear and it was like a Peargasm in my mouth!

All those processed sugars really mess up your taste buds.

Associate
I so wish there's a pill I could take that would instantly make me revile all forms of sugary crap. At the moment my whole being is screaming out for a Crunchie or just about any chocolate but I have to stop giving in to these type of cravings.

Oh what I wouldn't give... there is just nothing that can replace a nice big serving of ice cream/Boost/cookies with a big glass of full fat milk.

Had a really good two days, have recently dropped the weights to work on ensuring perfect form and full ROM, and managed a really good chest workout yesterday. Just done another set of Cosgrove complexes and almost brought up my breakfast, but feel SO much better for it.

Must say that complexes are my favourite addition to my fitness, absolute torture, leave me knackered and twitchy, but over in 10-15 and leave me feeling brilliant.

Edit: Oh, and the piece de resistance; I managed to not go out and get VERY drunk last night despite being at predrinks with my friends, just ended up heading off home as they went into town. Being a student really does kill me at some points - I have some incredible times so it's far too easy for me to give into my friends pressure to go out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit: Oh, and the piece de resistance; I managed to not go out and get VERY drunk last night despite being at predrinks with my friends, just ended up heading off home as they went into town. Being a student really does kill me at some points - I have some incredible times so it's far too easy for me to give into my friends pressure to go out.

nout wrong with going out, just manage your drinks / drink water or something else every so often...Problem is sleep as well as you'll need it to mend your body after a session in the gym :)

Caporegime
I always got the odd little chronic pain thanks to my lordosis and back problem. Lifting basically fixed it all.

Yesterday after I finished lifting and starting putting weight away, I felt an instant sting putting a 25kg plate down. I must have relaxed for an instant and let my lower back curve then BAM!

The pain is managable now with all the pills and muscle relaxants, but it's still constantly sore and the muscles are in a permanent cramp. The doctor nearly killed me it felt, when he lied me down, pushed a knee to my chest and my right shoulder back. Tresting my flexibility. I can't bend backwards at all, without hitting that nerve.

There was a pop, and then I could stand upright for the first time today. Now I need to manage the inflamation and muscle cramps that are pinching on my nerve.

I have to stand up and sit down in the squat position, and lock my joints and skeleton structure to avoid using my back muscle otherwise they cramp up badly again.

I'll manage anyway, I always do. This is just a major set back for my lifting. Which is what fixed all my problem in the first place.

Know what you mean buddy, Squats sort my knees and ankles out funnily enough, they seem to strengthen them somewhat :)

Then again though...25KG is a 'big' weight to be lobbing around :p Did you bend a tad on the lazy side or did it just go?

Soldato
Know what you mean buddy, Squats sort my knees and ankles out funnily enough, they seem to strengthen them somewhat :)

Then again though...25KG is a 'big' weight to be lobbing around :p Did you bend a tad on the lazy side or did it just go?

I always pick up and put things down in the deadlift/squat motion, this time the plate had to go low so I went down, then relaxed a bit and bent, that's when it just stung.

All it took was that 1-2 inches of relaxing and bending like a "normal" person to make it go. Ugh

I'm just happy the pills finally kicked in ann hour ago, it's not agonizing painful anymore. It's still sore as hell though. At least I can stand and walk upright again.

Soldato
Think i've got enough egg whites for a few weeks

eggwhites.jpg

Associate
nout wrong with going out, just manage your drinks / drink water or something else every so often...Problem is sleep as well as you'll need it to mend your body after a session in the gym :)

Ah yes, but if I actually do go out, its a 30+ unit minimum bender which I arrive home at 4am, get a non existent sleep and dont eat/do anything the next day. Also, it happens multiple times a week...

It was just a concious effort not to go out having managed a really decent session and not wanting to throw it all away straight away, I generally try not to go out on training days and go out on my off days.

4p

4p

Soldato
Benched 65kg today :o

10 on 55kg
8 on 60kg
and about 3 on 65kg :p

Weighed myself today, gained two pounds. Weight just over 70kg :)

Been at it for 2 weeks now, eating loadsssssa ££££ :(

Associate
Well learn to manage yourself better though.

At this point in my life I'm happy with the drinking, although I am scaling it down. I have one year left at university to live it up, then it'll come to settling down and drinking far less. I still drink much less than the people I hang around with and far less often, I can happily sit in a pub and order nothing, just I like a big night out.

And yes, I understand this affects me negatively, but I still work hard as I enjoy it and I still see some gains. I'm not expecting the world as I know that certain goals aren't possible with this lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom